Polite ways to tell people to mind their own business

Options

Replies

• jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    "He who restrains his lips is wise"

Absolutely no comment really does work eventually.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there is the always pleasant ever so effective

"fugg off!!!"
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Your success at reaching a healthy weight is a constant reminder to them of their failure to do so, and this makes them uncomfortable. It points to the fact that it's possible to lose weight and keep it off, and they aren't fat because of a slow metabolism, or fat genes, or any of the other excuses they may have been telling themselves.

They would never admit it, but I think they subconsciously want you to fail so that they will feel comfortable around you again. I don't think they will stop until you politely but clearly ask them to.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Seriously... they will shut up when they see the results... then they will be begging you for help. Just do what you do...

sadly, they probably won't. That's really not how most people are.
  • T_R_A_V
    T_R_A_V Posts: 1,629 Member
    Options
    I go to my all time fav....oh yah, well f$%k off and have a nice day!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    If you have tight abs, stand up, lift you shirt just enough to see the tummy and say "That's why! Any questions?"

Then drop your microphone on the floor, and walk off stage to staggering applause.

^^This^^ Like a Boss!

fecking ay!:drinker:
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I never had anyone criticize my food but I got a lot of comments saying that I never eat and I'm getting too skinny. They obviously never spent any extended time with me though because I was always eating at my desk. I couldn't stand the group of women that would spend their lunch hour talking about the next fad diet or pill. I always answered them honestly about how I lost weight but they didn't like my answer and would start talking about how they were going to try this salad diet or this new pill, etc. etc. I started leaving the office and walking for my break/lunch. I would walk and talk with a friend of mine that liked to get out too and it was a better way to spend my breaks. If it wasn't good weather to walk I'd go to my car and read a book or something.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    meh...co-workers used to give me grief too...and then weeks passed...and then months...then a year and now I'm about 2 years into all this good livin'. Guess what...I'm lean and they are still fat *kitten*...I'm fit and the thought of them walking up a flight of stairs leaves them wanting a nap...I can dead-lift 300 Lbs and they think their computer bag is heavy...etc, etc, etc.

In summary, I rock and they don't...and they know it too.
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just tell them "you are what you eat." Then ask them if they would like to continue shoveling all that **** into their bodies :P Sorry that would be about as nice as I am capable of being in that situation
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    meh...co-workers used to give me grief too...and then weeks passed...and then months...then a year and now I'm about 2 years into all this good livin'. Guess what...I'm lean and they are still fat *kitten*...I'm fit and the thought of them walking up a flight of stairs leaves them wanting a nap...I can dead-lift 300 Lbs and they think their computer bag is heavy...etc, etc, etc.

In summary, I rock and they don't...and they know it too.
    1) lmao awesome post 2) still lmao sorry 3) good for you. kudos
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    first, let me say thanks for your service!

second - I had a co-worker that was really hassling me about not going out to eat with the crowd any more and not eating the sweets that get brought to the office, etc - I mean really going on about how I would have to eat like THIS (like healthy eating is a bad thing) for the rest of my life and crap like that. What finally shut him up was me turning around one day and in a firm voice (not angry or upset but firm) telling him that I LIKE eating like this, it is a CHOICE that I have made, I like the RESULTS that I am getting and it works for ME! He hasn't made a snide comment since that day.
  • DaivaSimone
    DaivaSimone Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    The next time someone comments on your food, try responding with enthusiasm. "Yeah! It's a spinach-and-couscous-salad with dressing I made myself! So good." Ask if they want to try it. Ask if they want the recipe. Be sweet about it! Be open and encouraging, and maybe they'll jump on the bandwagon with you.

That's what I do with my coworkers, but I do the same with their food (like: tell me everything about your salad! is it quinoa? is it Jerusalem couscous? what do you use as a dressing? and so on...). I think that they are now accustomed to the fact that I'm curious about food and they know that I am a food writer in my other life, so they seems ok with it. I try to do the same when I have questions like: "will you eat just this for lunch!?" (yes, but I had a wholesome snack at 11 and there's plenty of protein in that soup, etc., etc.).

The one thing that makes me crazy is people asking if I am pregnant everytime I turn down alcohol in favor of carbonated water. I didn't know that drinking alcohol is something we're supposed to do everytime we have an occasion to do it...
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    The exits are here, here and here!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Just let them know this is the way you like to eat. And their judgements and comments are making you uncomfortable. If that doesnt set them right, then follow all the other stuff many people here have mentioned :)
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Your coworkers are probably self conscious about their own weight problems and are pushing it off on you. Personally I prefer to eat alone but I have had coworkers give me interesting looks for having a food scale on my desk but no snarky comments.

Your weight loss is your own and what you choose to put into your body is your decision and yours alone. I would politely tell your coworkers that you are watching what you eat and that it is important to you. If they still bother you after that then they are a bunch of negative Nancy's that you're probably better off not eating with.

I like the company of people, but I like lunch being my quiet time. If I don't go out for a quick bite somewhere during lunch I eat at my desk and read a chapter or two in my book.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you have tight abs, stand up, lift you shirt just enough to see the tummy and say "That's why! Any questions?"

Then drop your microphone on the floor, and walk off stage to staggering applause.

haha!! LOVE THIS!! :)

However....since I don't have a six pack, I would simply say that now that I've started to eat fresh whole foods, I just FEEL better, and I like it. Eating crap makes me feel like crap. PERIOD. :)
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I love the abs show and quad naming comeback.

I think you have to go direct with them. "I love you guys, but stop giving me *kitten* everyday for eating healthier. I'm doing this to for x,y,z reasons."

Your true friends will show.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I love the abs show and quad naming comeback.

I think you have to go direct with them. "I love you guys, but stop giving me *kitten* everyday for eating healthier. I'm doing this to for x,y,z reasons."

Your true friends will show.

I like you.
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    the comments are really about them - they know they should be eating salad and don't want to - and because you are, they are feeling insecure....all about them - their issue. Remember this. So, ignore and keep doing what you're doing.

oh and listen to RDJ...

5f9998f33b8058489599b57157104355.jpg
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options

mmmmmmmmmm applesauce.

oh.

you didn't say applesauce.

still want applesauce.