Diet and constipation

Options
Hi there guys,

I have a rather delicate problem to ask advice about. Ever since I started introducing loads more fruit and veg into my diet I have begun having problems with constipation. I never suffered from it prior to my change in lifestyle and find it strange that now I'm eating healthy I'm having these problems. I drink at least a litre of water every day, I eat multi grain and whole grain products, no white rice, bread or pasta anymore.

Has anyone else out there had the same problems ?

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    How much fat is in your diet? If you eat everything no/low fat with no healthy fats, you will be constipated....
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight last year I thought I was constipated for a long time too, but then I came to realize that I wasn't actually constipated, I was just producing less waste because I was eating less! Are you having the symptoms of constipation? I'm not sure what those are, maybe gas, cramping? But if you don't have any symptoms(besides not pooping) maybe consider that your body is just more effectively using the nutritious and less abundant food?
  • michellebtheoret
    michellebtheoret Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Yes I do!!. Since I eat alot of protein I struggle with it. I have recently have found having a couple of squares of real dark chocolate works like a charm or smooth move tea :)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    How much fat is in your diet? If you eat everything no/low fat with no healthy fats, you will be constipated....

This!^

A low fat can really slow things down.

Are you moving more? Sometimes exercise can help things along.

Eating less could be part of the problem.....but it shouldn't be all of the problem. Insoluble fiber gives you "bulk" if you know what I mean.
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Like everyone else said check how much fat you are eating, maybe eat more fiber rich fruit like raspberries and prunes

are you working out? even a nice long walk can "get things moving"
  • rachaelgoslan
    Options
    I do not touch low fat anything, and I'm exercising 3 to 4 times a week on top of working a reasonably active job ( meaning not a desk job). I'm not eating very much red meat right now, mostly chicken so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it
  • FitMelody4Life
    FitMelody4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are taking any supplements but I take fish oils and if I feel I've been having issues I will take 6 of them all at once before bed.
  • filledesiles
    filledesiles Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I add flaxseed to my smoothie every morning and I find that helps - I had the same problems when I changed my eating habits too!
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Eat more fat. You might also try taking a probiotic (or eat yogurt). The bacteria in your gut can use it to help move things along.

Beware the advice to eat more fiber. Partly because, if you're eating more fruits and vegetables and whole grains, then you're getting plenty of fiber. The idea that fiber promotes regularity has been challenged. (Here's one example: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fiber/#axzz32HwjQsfp)

But changing your diet does seem to cause constipation while your body is adapting to change.
    I occasionally deal with constipation since changing my diet (I'm low-carb, so kinda the opposite of what you're doing).

When it happens I increase my water intake, add a slice of lemon and a pinch of salt to each glass of water (for electrolytes) and make sure I eat enough fat (I'm finding if I eat roughly as much fat as protein (comparing by gram, not calorie), things seem to work better). The first time I also took a probiotic, but I haven't felt the need to do that since the bottle ran out.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    How many/what fruits and veggies are you eating daily? These should actually make you more regular because of the fiber.

Increase your water to 2L/day, and see if that helps.

Coffee makes me go every morning like clockwork.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    An apple a day keeps the doctor away. Fiber.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you are taking any supplements but I take fish oils and if I feel I've been having issues I will take 6 of them all at once before bed.

^^^^ This.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hm very odd. Not to be too gross but how often did you go previously, and how often do you go now??

Typically people experience the exact opposite so you should dive a little deeper into your eating habits and try to see if something you frequently eat has some "stopping up" properties. Cheese is a big one, and I am sure there are others if you have anything processed.

What a mystery!

Can you open your diary so we can take a peek?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    IN for FAT! :tongue:

Seriously - several have already said what I was going to say - make sure you're getting enough fat in your diet. We see it posted here at least once a week - someone starts a new diet and goes all low- or non-fat with everything, and despite plenty of water and fiber, nothing is moving.

Fat doesn't make us fat, too many calories do. :smile: Avocados, nuts, olive and coconut oils, full fat dairy....& have some butter.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I swear by the combination of a walk, a Quest bar and a cup of coffee.
  • ingasmile2
    ingasmile2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are drinking enough water. 1 liter is only about 32oz. I would definitely increase that.
  • kellyj0729
    kellyj0729 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I've had same issue. I simply added a Colace 100 mg before bedtime and that seems to have solved the problem.
  • KimiSteinbach
    KimiSteinbach Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My wellness doctor has me take 1,000 mg of magnesium daily!!! No problems now! I go daily!