Weight lifting glove reviews

Options
I recently ordered 2 pairs of gloves online. The brand is FitFour and they are a crossfit type of glove. I purchased both types. The anti-ripper and the gripper.
Just wondering if anyone has used this brand? What are your reviews on them?
If not, what kind do you use? Why do you or, don't you love them?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I don't use them. I figure when I'm lifting things in real life or playing with my kids I don't have them. I want to toughen up my hands and improve grip strength for real life, not just protect them at the gym. I used to use gloves and I find it's better without.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I got a pair at Target a few years ago, but I hardly used them until this winter when it was so cold in my basement that the barbell was stinging my hands so wearing them was better than freezing. I prefer to go without and use chalk.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know, but I would say go with a cheap pair to start out. Using them for a while will get you used to what you like, then you can branch out.

Also you're going to get a lot of **** on this site for using gloves. Just ignore them lol, though lifting without gloves has it's pros too.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know, but I would say go with a cheap pair to start out. Using them for a while will get you used to what you like, then you can branch out.

Also you're going to get a lot of **** on this site for using gloves. Just ignore them lol, though lifting without gloves has it's pros too.

Why are people opposed to gloves? I NEED to use them as my hands just drip with sweat and there is no way I could lift without them. For normal people who sweat a normal amount what are the cons to them? Just wondering.
  • KatMarieLivinG
    KatMarieLivinG Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes I know I will get a lot of people who will **** on me for asking, but it's the people who reply that actually use them that I will listen to. Every party has a pooper, and this web site has more then one.
  • KatMarieLivinG
    KatMarieLivinG Posts: 42 Member
    Options

Why are people opposed to gloves? I NEED to use them as my hands just drip with sweat and there is no way I could lift without them. For normal people who sweat a normal amount what are the cons to them? Just wondering.

Like I said, every party has a pooper. No matter what you say or do there will be tons of people who will poop on it.
    I'm the same way. Very sweaty hands. When I wear something on them I can lift 5-10 lbs more on each hand dependign on exercise. I admit I never used chalk before though.
  • BonecrusherBrews
    BonecrusherBrews Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I sweat A LOT... I still prefer to use chalk. And I'm fine with callouses on my hands.
  • MB_Positif
    Options

I don't know why people are SO opposed to them. I don't love or hate them. I just prefer not to use them. Mostly because I actually like callouses. I always have, even when I lifted for sports in high school.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    No idea on that brand. I use men's lifting gloves and they have wraps that go around the wrists (can't recall the brand). I hate women's lifting gloves.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Never found any that don't suck. I'm sure Ronnie Coleman's don't I've never found something.

I know what Crossfit style means, just not how that can be encompassed in a glove?
  • MB_Positif
    Options
    No idea on that brand. I use men's lifting gloves and they have wraps that go around the wrists (can't recall the brand). I hate women's lifting gloves.

This too, mine are men's. The women's ones felt too tight.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I don't know what brand I use but they were purchased at Sports Authority. i assume they are just basic ones with a little bit of padding in the palms.

When I started lifting and didn't have gloves, my hands got such bad calluses and looked like a man's hands who does rugged outdoor work. I'm not a man. Quite frankly, I'm in sales and if someone shook my hand and it was callused and rough I'm not sure that would be a good first impression coming from a woman.... but to each their own. I never knew gloves got a bad wrap though!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    If you're getting callouses, you're doing it wrong.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    MFP members seem to be pretty anti-glove as a group, but I like them. I use these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/21695175?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedItemId=21695185&adid=22222222227016026607&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=41948328190&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=43627985710&veh=sem

Just cheap MEN'S gloves (the women's suck) from Walmart. People say your grip will suffer in gloves, but I haven't had a single problem with my grip. And the best part is that my soft lady hands aren't covered in painful blisters.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I use chalk when I use anything. I do own some gloves which I assume I bought years ago but I never use them. If they work for you then that's cool.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I sweat right through the chalk. Mine are just cheap ones I got at winners (Canada).
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Gloves actually weaken your grip.
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    how does it effect your grip strength? I squeeze harder when I have glove on and weight don't hurt my hands. I have used multiple gloves over the year but Harbringer is my fav.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Never heard of Fit Four. I did a quick Google on them and they look like they're a half glove ?

I have an old pair of Nike gloves that I use. They work just fine for me. Also got a deal on a pair of Rocktape G-loves which I've been using for Sled Pulls.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    To prevent ripping, I shave/file the calluses down. I work in a business setting and no one has commented on my hands feeling rough. The boyfriend doesn't complain either.

For gripping, I just use chalk. Lots of chalk. I prefer to use as few accessories as possible so that if I am in a competition that doesn't allow me to use something, I'm not hindered by not having it.

But what I do does not work for everyone and I am in no way saying that people shouldn't use gloves if they choose, but there are alternatives to just gloves vs no gloves.