tracking exercise through using dvd's

Options
At least 1/2 of my exercise is through using Dvd's, Slim in Six and Leslie Sansone's walking.....but how can I track that on my exercise? Dvd's aren't a choice and I don't know how many calories I'm buring. Any suggestions?

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I know this answer sucks, but you need an HRM
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I was told to get a heart rate monitor and enter that info under what you did - like walking. Instead of looking for the dvd, look for the exercise of what you did instead.
  • msgadberry
    msgadberry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Is there a goal when you track heart rate? I have a bp moniter that has hr on it and my threadmill has a hr on it too. Is a hrm something you can get at Walgreens/Walmart?
  • NancyHukka
    Options
    I just looked under the exercise tab, chose cardiovascular, typed in dancing, chose aerobic, ball room and twist and found calories burned for so many minutes of aerobic exercise.
  • msgadberry
    Options
    Thanks Nancy, good idea
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    I would still get a HRM just to be on the safe side. I had an issue with my elliptical, and it's a very common one in the forums from what I've been reading, that the treadmills and ellipticals are geared to a certain stature, and since not everyone is the same, your calories might be way off (mine was MFP said I was burning 600 on a 35 minute elliptical exercise while the elliptical said only 250). Seriously, the top notch ones are only 40 at the most. I wouldn't rely on either unless you absolutely had no other route to go.

Better safe than sorry, especially when you think you're burning more calories because you trusted MFP's exercise equation or you trusted your treadmill, and then you end up putting on more weight. Both are good judgments to a certain extent but the HRM will be the most accurate.

I have no idea how to use a blood pressure device, so I don't want to comment and tell you the wrong thing lol.

Good luck!
  • txchic_73
    txchic_73 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Where are HRM's found? I have no idea where I can buy one, in my small town. Sporting goods stores or do they sell those kinds of things at WalMart? And how do you log the calories burned off of the HRM?
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    The one I bought was from heartratemonitors.com on sale for about $40. It's just a watch and you look down at the calories screen to "log" it off. I wouldn't trust Wal-mart's to be honest, because, well it's Wal-mart lol. I would go to Academy or some other sporting goods store to buy one.

Surf around and I"m sure you will find one you like :)
  • txchic_73
    Options
    The one I bought was from heartratemonitors.com on sale for about $40. It's just a watch and you look down at the calories screen to "log" it off. I wouldn't trust Wal-mart's to be honest, because, well it's Wal-mart lol. I would go to Academy or some other sporting goods store to buy one.

Surf around and I"m sure you will find one you like :)

How do you log the HRM calories here in the exercise portion? I am just not sure on those things. I might try to look for an HRM soon so I can see what I am actually doing during my workouts. Thanks for the input!
  • Phoenyxtears
    Options
    Ok say you walked for 30 minutes (there's a formula you can use to find out the speed, but I usually do the 3.0, walking dog because I am walking my dog lol! There are descriptions that give you an idea what 2.0 mph is vs. 5.0 mph): Under the exercise tab, there's a link that says "Add Cardio" search whatever you did, in this example, it's walking. There's a box to the side that you can enter your time and there's a box under it that will fill in by itself, but you can change it depending on what the HRM says. Everyone is different so in your walking 30 minutes, you may burn 400 cals, whereas I could burn 350.

It'll alter the programmed formula to you so the ratio will start staying the same if you walk again, i.e. for you, 30 min at 3.0 = 400cals, so that ratio will replace what was in there originally, so that if you walked for 45 minutes at 3.0, it'll determine it given the new ratio...it's the easy route, but I'd still double check with the HRM.

Even if you want to trust MFP or the treadmill, it's never a bad idea to have a HRM anyway.

I hope that made sense LOL It's so ungrammatical.
  • LadyD7
    LadyD7 Posts: 6
    Options
    Try a hrm!! I used polar!! Love it
  • txchic_73
    Options
    Ok say you walked for 30 minutes (there's a formula you can use to find out the speed, but I usually do the 3.0, walking dog because I am walking my dog lol! There are descriptions that give you an idea what 2.0 mph is vs. 5.0 mph): Under the exercise tab, there's a link that says "Add Cardio" search whatever you did, in this example, it's walking. There's a box to the side that you can enter your time and there's a box under it that will fill in by itself, but you can change it depending on what the HRM says. Everyone is different so in your walking 30 minutes, you may burn 400 cals, whereas I could burn 350.

It'll alter the programmed formula to you so the ratio will start staying the same if you walk again, i.e. for you, 30 min at 3.0 = 400cals, so that ratio will replace what was in there originally, so that if you walked for 45 minutes at 3.0, it'll determine it given the new ratio...it's the easy route, but I'd still double check with the HRM.

Even if you want to trust MFP or the treadmill, it's never a bad idea to have a HRM anyway.

I hope that made sense LOL It's so ungrammatical.

Yes it did and thank you for the info! I will see what I can come up with! Thanks again!
  • chrish1981
    Options
    So I have a quick question: how do you log calories burned from exercises that are not necessarily "cardiovascular"?

For example, lifting weights burns calories, but when I enter strength training, no calories come off my total.

??
  • lucy65
    lucy65 Posts: 22
    Options
    Just got a hrm just to see if i would really use it before getting one more expensive. got it at ( hate to say it lol) walmart for about 47. i use the chest strap while doing my dvd then i use the create exercise button add in the dvd ,time , and cals burned. after that, it shows up on my list of exercises:)
  • clover27357
    Options
    Really, I don't so much care exactly how many calories it burns as long as the calories actually do burn. It'd be nice to see a log where someone has added up all the workouts in the video the way some resteraunt meals are. Maybe there could be a workout-recipe feature for us to use? I, for one, would be very interested in logging workout video calories even if we did it on the boards so that people could review them. That'd be a beneficial motivator for me.

**BUMP**
  • msgadberry
    Options
    That's true, it's important that I simple do them. It bugged me that I can find just about any food to log, but the exercise database doesn't seem as broad? Still great for a free site. :)