WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Good morning Ladies,

We bought a lot of plants for our flower beds yesterday so I will burn a lot of calories today gardening. It will be a warm and very windy day again.

DeeDee, I hope you feel better today. Know I will be wearing a hat and a lot of sunscreen while working outside today!:flowerforyou:

Cowleyl, you just joined this group. Tell us a little about yourself, we give our first name and where we are from. Come back often and we will get to know each other.:flowerforyou:

Margaret, thank you for the valuable information on heart attacks.:heart:

Welcome all new ladies.

Hug and prayers to all,

Cindy in OK
  • NenaC
    NenaC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone! :happy: I appreciate you all. You are so encouraging and a ray of sunshine:flowerforyou: I made the trip down to see my granddaughter....whew she loved her skirt. My son invited me to stay for a cook out. My number one summer weakness
    hands down......Hamburgers cooked on the grill. You can imagine my first thought...."Do I have enough calories left in the day" PRESSURE!!! Thankfully I did and oh goodness I did enjoy myself.:bigsmile:

Yah!!! I slept finally last night so my batteries are charged! Got to do some aerobics today!

Let's do this!!! :love:

Nena from Texas
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    JB: Mariah and family are in my thoughts this morning. I hope they are doing well.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: If I had room I’d grow green beans. I like purple pod beans because they’re easy to see and pick, but another person here likes French beans. Bush beans are easier because you don’t have to make a trellis, but then you’re squatting down to harvest. With the grand kids to consider, growing pumpkins would be fun for them, especially if you had enough plants for each to have their own pumpkin.:flowerforyou:

Jill: I don’t see my mom peeking out of the mirror but I think of her often. I know I got her coloring and shape of face but didn’t get the chronic depression that always affected her, thank goodness.:flowerforyou:

Lynn in MI: The scales keep moving, but they seem to bounce up quickly and down at the speed of a glacier. There are lots of plateaus. Just keep on doing the right thing and trust you’ll win in the end. This is the race between the tortoise and the hare and you know who wins. :flowerforyou:

Vicki: I’m happy that your tape measure shows your progress even though the scale has a little bump. Congratulations to the graduates.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: I love your comments about having fun AND your example of curb walking. Simple pleasures are so important and the foundation for a happy attitude. :flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: I’m happy that you’re starting to feel better. Your comments on aging resonate with me. My daughter’s baby will be born to a 36 year old mama. My mom was at least that age when she had me, but she struggled with depression for her whole life & did NOT have a youthful or positive attitude. I think the positive attitude is vital, and something we can control. It sounds as though you’ve done a wonderful job with your son. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

Carolann: Welcome. Where are you from? :flowerforyou:

Meg: I looked up a recipe for Scotch Eggs on Allrecipes.com, and they’re about a zillion calories! You hard-cook an egg and wrap it in pork sausage, dust it with breadcrumbs and deep fat fry it. I will have a scotch egg occasionally as a treat, but it would be my whole day’s food budget so I’ll have to exercise like mad or go over my limit. :flowerforyou:

Michele: I also take my laptop when I travel and all of my posts are from there. I use my phone app to record my food and calories, that way I can always record my food as long as I’m inside the country.:flowerforyou:

Margaret: I don’t color my hair, either, and I’m 64 and counting. It is a pretty color all on its own and I get lots of compliments. My mom was also blonde and her hair gradually got lighter and turned sliver. My favorite auntie had dark hair and quit coloring it sometime in her forties. She was stunning with her youthful face and silver hair. Thanks for posting the nurse’s heart attack experience.:flowerforyou:

Kim in N Cal: Good job with the water leak. This is not the year to let a drop of water go to waste. :flowerforyou:

Mamacindy: Congratulations on a great NSV! :flowerforyou:

Allison: Have a great time with the granddaughters. :flowerforyou:

Cowly: You joined by posting. You’re in! :flowerforyou:

Sorry to those I missed. It is time to leave for yoga. Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Note to self...don't buy two packages of sweet corn seeds next year. At the farm and garden store I picked up a pack of seeds and thought, that's not very many, so I got two. It totaled 1/4 of a pound of seeds. We could have planted half an acre! I got the corn, the rest of my tomatoes planted, and my peppers. I finally read the little stick that came in the habeneros and saw that it says they are 10 to 20 times hotter than jalapeños, so if they actually grow I may be in trouble. We worked in the garden for over an hour, which is supposed to be 300+ calories! according to the database. I believe it. That is really hard work! I got a little lightheaded and woozy from the sun and had to come back inside.

Has anybody else noticed that losing weight even makes doing laundry more fun? I pulled my jeans out of the dryer and smiled at seeing how small they are. It should save water and energy too, because I can get more garments in one load. Hey, that's a good slogan for environmentalists. Lose weight and save the world!

Back to work. Later ladies!

Sylvia
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues~~
    Gonna be 80 today,nice weather.
    Got some cleaning done with my buddy,Violet
    hugs
    jane
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Went to yoga this morning and then to the pub with the class for end of half term "coffee". I had half a pint of beer! Yes, I logged it, but will be over cals today as yoga doesn't burn many calories. :cry: Sea bass for dinner.
    I made DH a dozen lemon and blueberry muffins this afternoon. I put a teaspoon of lemon curd inside them and a drop of lemon icing on top. They looked delicious and were pronounced so by him and I enjoyed my naughty lick of the spoon! I have got to pack the other 11 in the freezer.
    Margaret - the heart attack blog reminds me of the time I was taken off the train in London by paramedics because I was having a gallstone attack. They rushed me to hospital and sent me home after an ECG with a bottle of indigestion medicine. Another time i rang the health service emergency number complaining of chest pain and they worked out it was intercostal rib pain from doing my exercises. Good article though!
    Meant to put my new geraniums in pots today, but got sidetracked by muffins. :tongue: It has been spitting with rain outside, so that's my excuse.:wink: Also had to catch up on Saturday's newspaper. :laugh:

DH'S nephew is not in a good place. DH'S sister says it is all quite terrible and she is not sleeping with worry. So sad with such a young child. We wish we could be of help, but I don't think he wants to talk. (He is splitting up with his wife) We are so fond of him.

The good news is we have another opportunity to go and see the grandchildren next week, on Thursday. :bigsmile: DDIL knows we need our "fix". :laugh:
    Alison - congrats on getting your grandchildren those air tickets. They will remember that adventure for the rest of their lives!:flowerforyou:
    Feeling very lazy now. Must get on with dinner. Time to pick some parsley. :bigsmile:
    Love to all, welcome to newbies! ! ! ! You know you can do it - just look at us! ! ! :laugh:

Heather in grey Hampshire UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Bump! At work.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hello all.The Apple store Genius Bar couldn't fix my iPad,so they wiped it clean & replaced it with a brand new one.Thank heaven for a company that stands behind their warranty! :love: :love:

Had to skim thru the last few pages. Prayers for Mariah.We had a similar situation with SIL's niece & all is well.

Carol,your son sounds like a great guy.You've done a good job with him.

I see where Bodi is healing,good luck with him.

CityJane,you will be 1st on call when a pretty cake is needed.:laugh:

My Mom was a wonderful example to her 4 children.After a life changing event,she would say " it's just part of life". I think of her often,she was a classy lady.

Have had a busy day,tho nothing interesting,just cleaning,laundry etc. Made a huge pot of veggie soup this morning.That's for supper with sloppy joes & iced tea.Like having good soup ready for any meal.

It's a sunny warm day here & looks like the same in the wkly forecast. Pat in Ohio
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I hang my clothes up now in wonderment! I just look at my boot cut size 12 jeans and just touch them and smile. This weight loss at my age has given me a new lease on life, a sense of accomplishment greater than getting my nursing degree. It gives me a high, it's exhilarating. Plus I have a 'one over' on my sister!

Weather is again wonderful here. 82*, very few clouds! Delicious!!!!!

Still looking at houses for vacation. I talked to my daughter today, she had found several houses that look promising around Panama City and Pensacola. The ones we had looked at before from the gulf area were on the ocean but upon looking at the satellite view and zooming in real close you could tell that the back yards were quite long. But these we/she is finding now is as close to the beach as the ones on the east coast. So it is encouraging.

Joyce, Indiana
  • carolann0117
    Options
    Hi all
    I'm sitting here at my desk at work.........eating my garden salad and "debating" on if I should go to the gym or not........ "OR NOT"... what am I thinking.... of course I'm going to go to the gym as soon as I finish eating. I had to post this.......... I have to be accountable!!!

~ carolann
    Upland, CA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Here's today's joke of the day:

:happy:

Teacher: Now, Sam, tell me frankly do you say prayers before eating?

Sam: No sir, I don't have to, my mom is a good cook.

:laugh:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I want to say thanks to whoever it was who responded and said how they gained access to MFP on their tablet. I am typing this from my iPad! Mystery solved

Joyce, Indiana
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies.

Bodi is still in the hospital. Subtly getting better but still there. We got some doggy downers for Ritter to help him calm down so we could leave him at home. It will also help when we bring Bodi home. (Whenever that will be). I truly appreciate all of your heartfelt prayers and words of encouragement. They mean so much to me. Thank you.

I will keep you posted.

Robin. Missing her Bodi and dealing with her imp aka Ritter.
    pleasant PNW>
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Talking about aging. A student brought up the Hindenberg and another student asked if I was alive at that time. I said I am old, but not that old. Good thing I have a good sense of humor.:laugh:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hello just popping in to say Hello well wishes to all, Prayers to those in need!

Welcome to all new ladies

Juanita in sudbury
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody; had a reasonably busy day at work, but also took a bike ride in the sun (SPF 30) and sat at an outdoor café with my guy late in the afternoon (SPF 30 again). Cleaned up my desk this evening. Maybe that'll improve the feng shui a bit. :wink:

It's taking a bit of time to feel better and get going again, but I notice I'm doing better at being on track with my numbers and exercise.

Hope everyone has a good night.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:

P.S. I wonder whether I'm getting a cold; it would be the first one in about a year. Dang, DeeDee! :grumble:
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Did yoga this morning, then had a massage and went horseback riding this afternoon. Rode with a lady that I know from the stable but we had not ridden together before. We had a good conversation and the horses got along well so we have a riding date for Thursday afternoon. My friend that I used to ride with moved and so did her riding buddy. It is nice that we have found each other.:happy:

Robin - glad to hear that Bodi is doing better. Hope things continue to improve.

Joyce - liked your story about walking on the curb. When I am in my water exercise class and we work on standing on one leg while doing weights or other movements I like to pretend I am a ballerina. I can be so much more graceful in the water and I am in no danger of falling over.:laugh:

Hi to whoever is in Upland CA. I grew up in Chino.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • KABH74
    KABH74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Kathy Smith's Step DVD. Tomorrow I'm planning to do yoga and then take the deep water class. Then in the afternoon we have senior bowling.

This evening there is a volunteer picnic for the volunteers at the Green Room. From what I remembered from last year, the food was not-so-great. At least, that's what I seem to remember. So what I'll do is take my "going to the movies" pocketbook. I'll take an orange, an apple, a vege burger and a Nature's Own round with me. If they don't have anything decent, that's what I'll have.

Margaret - I was sorry to see James Maslow go off DWTS. I thought for sure it would be Candace and Mark. Especially given Mark's injury. Can't wait for tonight's show. You know, I feel that the audience part of the vote being 50% is fine for the beginning, but when it comes to the semi-finals and the finals, I think the judge's votes should carry more weight. They're the professionals, not us. I know that there have been times when I've thought "oh, what a bad job they did" and the judges loved it! The same is true the other way around. But I'm not a professional.

Sylvia - I agree with you, all these graduations are getting rediculous. The thing is, too, in a way they take away from the "specialness" of graduating from high school. Another thing I've notice at the day care at the Y -- now they have professional photos taken. I realize that it's so that they can make money, but come on! When my kids were little, I'd take a photo of them every month, I didn't need to pay a professional photographer

cowleyl - You joined by posting! Come back often

Nena from TX - so glad your gd loved the skirt. I knew she would. And glad you had a good time at the cookout and enjoyed yourself.

Sylvia - I like the way you think "lose weight and save the world"!!!

Heather - have fun with those grandkids!

Joyce - with all the work you and daughter are doing looking for houses, I know you'll find the right one!

This morning I made these cheese meatballs only instead of ground beef I used ground turnkey. You really can't taste any difference, at least I don't think you can. Then I made these funfetti cookies and then a chocolate chip cake for Denise's birthday to send to her. Tomorrow I'll probably make some fudge to send to her and another banana chocolate cake. The one I have right now I'll probably put out for Vince and Jessica to have when she gets here Friday.

Went to the volunteer picnic. As I expected, there wasn't anything decent. Glad I'd brought my own Nature's Own with me and a Boca burger. I did have some baked beans (I didn't realize how high in calories they are) and some mustard and onions on my Boca burger. Just had water to drink.

Robin - sure hope Bodi comes home soon

Cynthia - glad you're feeling better. Hope you're not getting a cold

Sue in SD - I find that when I'm in the water, I'm so much more flexible. I can do certain stretches that there's no way on land I could do. But standing on the noodle never works for me.

Off to watch DWTS

Michele in NC
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Joyce, glad you figured out how to post from your ipad. I love my app for logging. The pie chart is super handy for seeing how well the balance of carbs, fat, and protein, but it will not allow you to participate in the message board. I love the website for that and for showing the days in your streak. The app doesn't show that either. One word of caution: pay attention to your post or autocorrect will make you say some really weird things!