WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I’m so happy you heard from your son. What a nice gift!:flowerforyou:

Joyce: You’re right about the texts, facebook, & cards. I have to admit that I do quite a bit of my communicating in those ways, too. I actually find it a real plus because my kids live in other states and we can stay in close touch. I heard from DD and DDIL yesterday and count myself happy. DH took me out to lunch at a local place and we had a good time.:heart::flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: Your beach trip sounds wonderful! Sorry about the sinus infection. Drink lots of water.:flowerforyou:

Meg: Stay safe! Tornado warnings are really scary. I’m glad there are basements, and that some of you in the tornado prone areas have shelters in your homes. :flowerforyou:

PCapraru: Thanks for the water suggestions.:flowerforyou:

Brenda from MD: I’m glad you got to see your DD’s house and liked it.:flowerforyou:

Michele: Thanks so much for the recipe! I hope to try it out in the near future. Now that you’ve decided not to bring desserts to the bowling party, I wonder about a veggie tray or fruit as alternatives.:flowerforyou:

Renny: I also prefer books that are printed on paper. :heart: I don’t like to read them on my computer or phone, but DH strongly prefers electronic books. I think he appreciates the ability to choose his font and size of type. My DS and DDIL love Once Upon a Time. We also live in earthquake, mudslide and flood country, and of the list, the mudslides seem the most frightening and also the easiest to avoid by choosing to live away from steep & muddy hillsides. Of course, I can’t claim to make sensible choices in that area.:noway: I have a river on one side of me and a cliff on the other. Luckily it is a basalt cliff.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Anamika: I am impressed that you live in a country with an Eco village that aims at organic sustainability!:flowerforyou:

Patty in Cincinnati: Thanks for sharing some of the things you learned in your safety class. So sorry that your sister fell and broke her tailbone. It is important for those living alone to have the ability to call for help. My favorite auntie suffered for who knows how long after a fall in her bathroom before a neighbor noticed they hadn't seen her and called for help.:cry:

JB: Mariah and your family continue to be in my prayers.:heart:

Today we’re participating in a "community vision workshop". Our city is situated at a great site next to the Columbia River, but has had real economic problems since the paper mill and plywood mills closed. The vision workshop is part of a grant program to help the community redevelop the now vacant plywood mill site and revitalize the old town core. It will focus on the neighborhood next to where I live. There will be another "vision" event in a couple of days and we're going to that, too.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies,

First, thanks to everyone for your good wishes for my dd. I am still at the college pushing her to get finished, even with the extensions it is hard going as she is still not one hundred per cent by far. Two papers and one exam to finish yet. I will go home in a day or so and come back for graduation. If I never sleep in a dorm rom again, it will be to soon!

I have read but sorry, not retaining much:

Those on trips.... Sylvia, Heather"......ENJOY!!!!!

I like printed material much better, too.

welcome newbies!

Had dinner yesterday at Outback, Happy Belated Mom,s Day to all"."....furry and otherwise!!!!

On an ipad, not typing well...sorry.

Yanniejannie
    Near Lynchburg, Va.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Happy Monday,

Stormy day here after a nearly perfect weather weekend.

All things considered I had a pretty good day yesterday. Don't really put much into Mother's Day, since I've always seen it as more of a retail created non-holiday. More of just a reminder that mine is gone. Nonetheless, got treated a little better than usual, got some good gifts, chose carry out over going out to eat. Wasn't in the mood for crowds and confusion. Went to the cemetery with Aaron and my step father. Went for a walk and a bike ride....blah, blah....

Had my first perfectly horrible Craigslist experience. Listed my bike since I now have my mom's (hers is better). The first person who replied wanted to come on Saturday evening to get the bike. I spoke with her at 6:45 and told her not after 8:30 and if she couldn't do that we'd have to wait until another day. The crazy woman called me at 8:40 and said she wasn't come (after she said she was), called me a ***** for not being more accommodating, texted me at 1am calling me more names and then put a fake listing on craigslist yesterday asking to be called between 8:30- and midnight. Other than being unbalanced, that's a person with way too much time on her hands. She claimed to have 4 kids. I sure feel for them if this is the example she sets.

Anyhow, listing has been reported and taken down.

Work out (T25 plus treadmill) is done and I'm working on an order of 40 lavender and flax seed eye pillows. Also trying to launch my election campaign promotional lip balms "more than just lip service":laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Have to grab lunch, plan dinner, oh so much to do, so little time. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Happy and successful day to all!

xo- Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Back again, it's lunch and I walked for a half hour but it's pretty hot out and my arms are sunburnt from yesterday. I had a protein shake for lunch today. I made it with lite greek yogurt and strawberries and it was really good. It's 12:45 so my day is more than half over, just three hours to go. I have been on line looking for liabilty insurance for personal trainers. I want to teach that class here at work but it looks like what I make teaching will go for the insurance, atleast the first 8 weeks of class. It really is necessary to have it though because you never know who will try to sue you. I hope I get enough people to make it worth my while to teach. Tonight I am working with the Y's full time trainer and the two high school boys. She will be gone next week and I'll train them myself. They are pretty motivated, they really want to get in shape and to shine come football season.

Katla in Oregon, Thanks for the sympathy regarding my sister but this actually happened a while back and she has recovered. She now understands the value of carrying the cell phone though.

Gloria, what an experience. People are crazy.

Lunch is over so back to work I go,
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Yannijannie sending best wishes to you and your daughter.
    All those facing disasters, hope you are safe from the fury of Nature
    Anamika
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.
    Had a wonderful Mother`s day.My son came out with the baby and we took her and Violet to the park and had a picnic.
    Was so much fun watching them play esp. when the rain came.
    Then later the tornado sirens were going off.Just a lot of rain.
    HUGS
    jane
  • bjkidfun
    bjkidfun Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Help, I am having a really hard time, My son-in- law, daughter and dear dear
    grandson is definitely moving to Colorado. I live in Md. I know it's a great
    opportunity for them but I am selfish. I've only been away from grandson
    no more than 5 days since his birth.(he'll be 3 in June) He is also in my day
    care so my life revolves around him. My son in law isn't a hands on dad or a
    supportive husband, hopefully she'll speak up more since she won't have her
    dad and I for support. Any way I am fighting really hard not to let my depression
    take over, I suffered depression for the past 20 yrs and just recently went off one
    of my Meds and cut the other one in half. I was doing so well. Anyway thanks for
    letting me vent. Even if no one reads this I still feel a tad bit better.
    Sad Brenda from md:(:frown: :frown: :frown:

Depression and weight loss does not go well for me.
  • Ninabee150
    Ninabee150 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. New on this message board. My May goal is hoping to make Onederland!! Havent seen since the mid 90's. I am putting every blt here and getting up to or over 10,000 steps a day.:tongue: Nina in Texas
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Hang in with me friends. I will not be much help for the next few days. MIL is having problems and we have been at the hospital for two days now. They admitted her last night after being in the ER for many many hours. They took very good care of her so don't misconstrue that. She was released early this morning (or late last night depending on how you look at it). Then this morning she took a fall trying to walk without her walker. Result 18 staples. She is going to require a lot of care and I won't be doing a lot of posting.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Belated Happy Mother's Day to all: I had a wonderful Mother's Day as my DD from Seattle is here visiting. She will be here until Friday. We are having a good time and getting some things sorted out. We went through some old photographs looking for pictures for my mother's 90th birthday this summer. Lots of fun seeing some of those old photos. My DD was posting some of them on Facebook for throwback Thursday.

I have continued with my water exercise class but have not gotten in as many steps as usual. I have been doing okay with food though as my DD also has sarcoidosis and is on prednisone too so she is conscious of the weight gain likely with it.

JB - Prayers for Mairah and all involved in her care.

Cynthia - sympathy on Charlie the cat.

Michele - Have you tried tile cleaner for pools? We use "Off the Wall" at the pools where I work.

Heather - Hope your trip is going well. Traveling mercies.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in stormy SD
  • Debra129
    Debra129 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A bit of progress today....I called my coach and asked him to loan me a spin bike. There is hardly room in my apartment but this is a start. I am too heavy to use my bike on a trainer so spin bike is best option.

Deb
  • namacheri
    namacheri Posts: 12
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies. Hope you all had a good Mother's Day. Today is a rainy cold day in Minnesota. I send prayers for all that need them. :heart:
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Brenda, I am so sorry your daughter and grandson are moving so far away. You have reason to be upset.
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good evening all!

Just a quick hello. Just got home from Durham. Went to celebrate my DD's graduation from Duke. Had a great visit with DD, DS, DDIL, and DD"s SO.Worth every second of the 12 hour drive! Will try to catch up tomorrow. Am very tired!!

Hope everyone had a great mother's day!

Deb A in CNY
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Brenda, do have face time or skype or something like that on your computer so you can video chat with your daughter and see you grand child. I did use skype and since it was the free version the reception wasn't always the best. We now both have Ipads and have fact time which is excellent. My youngest loves to take the Ipad and take me up to her room and show me things there. And you don't have to pay minutes or anything, it's great.

My Mom used senior services here in town also. She had a lady who came in and helped helped her with her laundry, changed her linens, etc. My sister has fibro and with my MS it was just taking some things off of our plates that we had more energy to do other things with Mom. They also built a nice hand rails that meet code and ADA requirements for her 3 porch steps. They were able to put a new bathroom in and also new windows to make her home more energy efficient and safer. She had to pay for supplies but the labor was free. The labor was also provided by retired workers so gave them some extra money and worth.

More storms today, more people out of electricity

Joyce, Indiana
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. Quiet day at work today; mostly did reports and cleaned up. We had faculty senate today….loooooong meeting. I’m thinking I’ll stay home tomorrow. 4 more chapters in the test bank!! I’d like to get 2 chapters done or near done tomorrow. It was cold and rainy here and now it looks stormy but they say no rain tonight.

We got through alright last night. The storm produced tornadoes for 2 ½ hours last night but it petered out right before getting here although there is one house northwest of us that had its roof torn off and the debris field looks tornadic. But only 2 minor injuries in the whole state, so that was good.

Mother’s day and my Saturday birthday celebrations were fun, but DD#1 produces way too much drama. She is shockingly thin right now. She totally misunderstood what time dinner was Saturday and said she couldn’t come because the BF’s jeep wasn’t running, then denied saying that and couldn’t figure out why she missed dinner. GAAAAAA

Brenda: you usually do so well, one day over won’t be so bad.

Michele: your mothers’ day sounded great!

Renny: your book sale sounds like so much fun. I love books too I have a kindle but have never even turned it on. It was given to me and one day I’ll figure it out, but not so far!

Anamika: do you have anything like mother’s day in India?

Sylvia: I’m sure I have put on a couple pounds too with all this celebrating! We can get rid of it

Katla: the vision events sound like such a good idea. We have several blighted areas in Omaha that need revitalization and it’s slowly getting done

Yanniejannie: fingers crossed for dd!

Gloria: wow what crazy woman! Hopefully that’s the last you;ll hear from her. I think a lot of people think their lives belong on the tabloid shows. We got a call last night at nearly 10 pm on DH’s cell phone from a woman wanting to know who my husband was and why he called her teenaged daughter. DD apologized and said it must have been a “butt dial” but the woman started calling him a pervert for calling her daughter and that he should never call again! She went on and on even after he apologized for bothering them. Sheesh!

Brenda: I’m so sorry your family is moving so far away. That will be hard no matter what. But we are all here for you.

Nina: welcome aboard!

Cyclingbonnie; we’ll be here when you can come back. Take care of you too!

Sue: did you have bad storms last night too?

Ok my friends I am off. DH bought me a sugar free cake with sugar free icing (he looked all over for a bakery that made them) BUT it was full of lard! Now my insides are rumbling to beat the band and I’m worried about tonight LOL. *heavy sigh but it was so sweet of him. I may be paying for days!!!!!

Take care, Meg from cool and damp Omaha but where our roof is still on.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,925 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: no time to post, but sending hugs to you all

:heart: Barbie
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,348 Member
    Options
    Did 10 minutes of the "10 Minute Pilates" DVD, then held my plank for 2 min 20sec, in a bit I'll be leaving for the extremepump class. Need to leave a bit early as I need to get gas. Hey, I get 10 cents off a gallon. Admitted, it's not much...but something's better than nothing.

I'm planning to go to the Y tomorrow and do a spinning downloadable workout.

Renny - it's supposed to be nice here today. Hopefully, we can get started on the landscaping in the front.

Patty - that self defense class sounds awesome!

katla - Something I found out at this last bowling party ... it seems that I'm about the only person who went crazy for the veggies. I brought a lot home, but I don't mind that one tiny bit. It's interesting that that's not something people go for. Except for me, that is....lol I suspect that if I brought a fruit tray, it would probably be the same way. People will eat up the cakes and pies and leave the fruit. So I guess it comes down to "which do *I* want more" and the answer is veggies!

Gloria - I remember when we were selling Bryan's car, Vince had it listed on Craigslist. Do you know that when someone would come to see it, Vince had his gun in his pocket. Fortunately, he never needed it, but he had to have it. That woman certainly had a few screws missing. What a cute saying for the lip balms!

Breanda - I'm sad for you, but at least you will be able to see your gs

Nina - welcome! Keep logging in here for lots of advice and motivation, and you'll be in onederland in no time at all

Bonnie - so sorry about your MIL. Take care of her. We'll still be here. Don't forget to take care of yourself while you're at it

Sue in SD - I never heard of "off the wall". Wonder where you can get it? It's certainly worth a try. Thanks for the tip

Joyce - what a wonderful suggestion for Brenda!

Meg - thanks for posting and letting us know that you're all right. Your hubby's heart was in the right place.

Went to mahjongg tonight, maj'd only once

Did start the landscaping in the front. It's going to be slow going. First, the soil is HARD (well, we have that stupid red clay). Then there are lots of roots from bushes, etc. We figure we'll probably have to go thru that at least twice, maybe three times. but the good news is that we only have to go down 2 inches. Then dig the trench for the wire for the landscape lights, then riverrock. We'll also riverrock under our deck and finish by the side of the garage.

Oh, good news! The insurance company called today. We're FINALLY getting reimbursed from Vince's stay in the hospital in Switzerland. Yes, it's been almost a year. But at least we're going to get reimbursed.

Michele in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

My friends from FL are here for a few days and we went out for dinner last night, they had fantastic news, they're getting married in July in Hawaii:heart: ! I told them I could be available to be the flower girl for them:flowerforyou: :bigsmile: ! We had a wonderful time, lots of laughter and champagne!!! I think I had about 4 hours of sleep last night :yawn: , and now it's time to start the day all over again:yawn: ! My kitchen sink will be leaving today, so I'll be without a sink until Friday, well Thursday they will install the new sink, but the plumbers will be here Friday to install the faucet. This should be interesting....

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in really warm and a little muggy NC
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to All, Welcome to the Newbies,
    Today is Tuesday and hopefully we will be rain free. My yard has grown leaps and bounds in the past two rainy days and desperately needs cut. After work today I am going to a cycling class and then I'm trying a rope class. I've never done the rope class so I'll let you all know. Last night I did my strength training and ab work.
    I've checked into insurance for my personal training and it's going to cost me almost $200 for the year. I sure hope I get enough people interested in taking the class so I can at least make back my investment. Even though we've had rain for the past three days we also had bursts of sun and I managed to get burnt. I am going to the store at lunch today and buying sunscreen. I'd lecture my kids and grandkids about the sun so I have to make sure I practice what I preach.

Bjkidfun, Vent away, that’s a hard thing to handle and let us be here to help. At least now we have skype or facebook, I hope you can use them to keep in touch.

Cyclingbonnie, Prayers for your Mom and you.

Prayers and thoughts to those struggling,
    Wishing all good health,
    Patty Cincinnati OH