WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Beauties,

It is going to be hot here today. Yesterday Hubby and I found a lot of beautiful flowers for our patio pots. I am looking forward to having coffee out there in the morning.:smile: We will be taking another little trip in a few weeks to see Derek and Julianne Hough dance. Taking the little old pug girl with us, she enjoyed her room at the Hyatt last trip. (Spoiled girls in this house, we are!):bigsmile:

Sylvia, I am glad you are having fun and enjoying your tiny pj's. :smile:

Liz, hugs for you.:heart:

Kim, thanks for the insight on how weight loss affect your back. I have a lot of lower back pain, this is helping me understand. :smile:

Tigress, drink lots of water, that will help with those pounds.:drinker:

Welcome all new ladies.:flowerforyou:

Hugs to those who are struggling and cheers to those with victories.

Cindy in OK

"Sometimes the act of letting go is far more powerful than defending or hanging on." Eckart Tolle
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,790 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! Looks like it is going to be another beautiful day weather wise. I am working until noon today and then have DGS's graduation this afternoon. He lives about 30 miles away so planning to ride the bike over. See how my back will handle that.

Welcome to all the new ladies. You have found a very great group and all the support you want. Come back often and tell us about yourself.

Tigress--Good Luck with the implant. Hope you feel better soon.

Sylvia--Sounds like you are having a very nice time. Good for you and sounds like just what you needed to relax.

Michele--Don't be so hard on yourself. You do so well so much of the time and one bad day or afternoon is not going to destory the good. I am sorry Bryan is doing what he is. I pray he realizes that no one can replace mom.

Kim--that makes alot of sense about your body having to ajust. I know I walk different and how I do things are different. Sometimes I have to stop and think about how I am going to do something since I have lost weight. I never really thought about it before, but it's like learning all over again.

DeeDee--the foam in the middle helps pick stuff up and I just love it. It is hard to explain, but it sure makes sweeping easier as it picks it up the first time. I found a coupon in the Sunday paper for the broom and found it at WalMart.

Well I am trainning again this morning. Sure makes for a long day as mostly just sitting watching. Have a great day ladies. Remember we are not in this alone.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • SlimTerri57
    SlimTerri57 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi barbiecat and thank you for starting this. I'm Terri (SlimTerri57) and your post jumped out at me. I was born in '57, so I'm indeed 50+ and well aware of what that has done to my weightloss efforts.

I started my serious goals April first and lost 9.6 lbs. that month. Thought that I'd do better in May because, with even that weightloss effort, my knees were lending myself to being more active. Argghhhhh! I forgot about Mother's Day. So celebratory meals, although I've logged on and figured out what I'd order as not to mess up my mission, seems to have the arrow going up instead of down. I've upped my treadmill time and still.....depressing really. The numbers aren't adding up so I've got to just trust it's going to work out well.

Anyway, I'm near Reno, Nevada. I'm a mother of 4, 2 of which live here and a Grandmother of 6, 5 boys and 1 girl, 2 of which live here and maybe on on the way.....I'm married to a wonderful man who has been really learning to take better care of himself after a double bypass and am really proud of him. I'm a Christian and a conservative but will keep my politics to Facebook.

Happy Mother's Day to everyone and here's to good health!
  • SlimTerri57
    SlimTerri57 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your Zumba Cert! I would love to do Zumba and will soon I hope. It looks so fun! Since last June I gained too much weight way too fast and my knees gave out. I've lost some since April 1st and the my knees are healing, but wouldn't dare Zumba yet. In a couple of months I'll put in my Wii Zumba and start small. Love that you are doing this!
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends,

Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers for little Mariah. Her brain surgery scheduled for this coming Thursday. It's been a rough week, so many emotions running rampant in the whole family. :brokenheart: I've been helping my mom through this, she's very downtrodden and frightened. :cry: Whew.

Today I'll try to stay in the moment as I waltz through a million chores, hoping the rain will let up by this afternoon! I need to get out and work in the garden, but I don't care for working in the mud. Rain rain go away. :flowerforyou:

Staying in the moment includes watching what I eat. I've had a few days of not giving a hoot. :ohwell:

Wishing you all a wonderful Saturday! :bigsmile:

:smile: jb in soggy Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Texasgal: MFP sent me an update that allows my iphone to be a pedometer. It isn’t perfect, and they have to calculate adjustments at the end of each day, but it is interesting. The adjustment adds available calories. I thought I walked more than I do. Luckily, I also do yoga and ride my bike so I get in my share of cardio.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: It sounds like you and DH are having a wonderful trip. The NSV’s seem to be piling up for you. Congratulations!:flowerforyou:

Robyn in SW VA: Welcome!:flowerforyou:

Michele: Sending hugs and wishes for your heart to heal without painful scars.:flowerforyou:

Robyn7762: Welcome! It sounds like you have some big life challenges right now. You’ve found a supportive group.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Hi back at you! Enjoy your trip.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: It seems your dog appreciates male beauty. I hope the fellow has a good heart to go with it.:flowerforyou:

I haven’t been able to get through everyone’s posts and DH wants to go out for breakfast, so I’m sorry to those I missed. Have a great day!

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • donnavollmerbosley
    donnavollmerbosley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine going through what you have. Intoo feel the same way but am only 52 . I have been trying to stay under my points and have for1week and exercised every day and lost 1lb. Frustrated to say the least too slow for me. Not sure what else to do.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Popping back in for a minute. Just got off the treadmill and am sipping my protein shake. I hear a mockingbird in the tree outside singing his little heart out. Love it!

Kim, what your chiropractor said about the yoga stretches is true, at least for me. I have been doing yoga for years and there is a definite difference in my body on one side vs the other. The left side of my body is much less flexible. You do become more acquainted with those little nuances over time.

Cindy in OK
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I've been cutting grass this morning and it feels really good! I was hesitant as this is the first time I've tried this season. I thought my weak wrist would make it too hard, but so far it hasn't hindered me. I've burned up one tank of gas, taking a break, and then out to do the rest. The calories it burns is AMAZING when I put them in the MFP tracker.

I think come fall, I am going to take up some serious yard work as a hobby. My DH says I need to quit thinking up things to do when I retire. Well, I was hoping he'd take up yard work when he retired, but no such luck. He took up walking instead. I am very, very proud of him for quitting smoking (well over 3 years now) and taking up walking (his goal is 5000 miles in 3 years and he's well past 4000 with 2 1/2 almost gone), but wow, think what the yard would look like if he had spent all that time working in them instead.

Well, back to it. I want the yards looking nice when the grand kids come by tomorrow.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!
    Welcome all the new ladies.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Got lots of errands today.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Robyn – I check in twice a day just so it doesn't take so long to catch up on everything! :smile: I have a friend from the south (tenn. If I remember right) who is trying to get her weight under control and I just saw in today’s paper; and saved for her; an article on a new cookbook from Southern living called Slim down south. They put 2 recipes in with the article and both sound good and are not super low in Cal. But much lower than I would expect… you might want to check it out:drinker: . Sorry to hear about MIL – sundowners is the worst!!!

DeeDee – LOL on your dog with the hottie!!!

Gloria – great advice to any teacher!!! :smile:

Cindy – glad to help I will friend you and try to explain the stretch he gave me – I am doing it once every 3-4 hours and am so much better.

Terri – nice to hear about you! The one thing I have learned is to log everything as completely as I can (there are some guesses when you are at someone’s home or in a restaurant) and even if I am over I am learning what is worth the extra calories and what is not…

JB – thoughts of care to you and your family – and for a big rain break! – Working in the yard for me is so healing, there is just a peace in your garden that for me is hard to find anywhere else. :smile:

Donnavollmerb – 1 lb a week is a perfect loss rate – you probably did not gain it any faster than that :bigsmile: – and in the long haul a slower weight loss gives you time to truly learn new habits so you never gain it back. :smile:

DrKatiebug – I love the calorie burn with yard work and I love how great everything looks - That is great to here DH as quit smoking and walked so much! Wow!!:smile:

Beautiful, cool weather out today, the wind is supposed to come up this afternoon. Mom comes for the weekend in a bit; so I am trying to get some sewing in - but had to check in with everyone - Happy Mom's Day to the mom's of kids and the Mom's of furbabies!!! enjoy

Kim in N. Cal.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Kim, I followed up on your idea and posted an invitation to join me in Yoga class to my friends on facebook. It is a sort of cheating since I didn't contact them personally, but I hope it helps get the word out. One of my facebook groups is made of people in my town. Thanks for your script! It helped set the format and tone. Now I'm hoping more people come to the class.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Our side of town got it real easy with the storms yesterday. There are still some area with no power. I know several people personally with trees still in their houses yet. National weather service estimate winds at 120 MPH, most were 60 MPH. I guess for once living on the east side is a benefit. I wouldn't live anywhere else. I am close to the mall, other shopping, great access to the interstate. Thinking about it now I should have offered my freezer to one of oldest daughters best friends who still doesn't have power and her main concern is her food. When we had our infamous ice storm several years ago we were without power for one full week and insurance was very quick in sending us out a check on all our refrigerator loss.

Sometimes I wonder if I should try Zumba again. I tried it once and felt my MS got in the way but sometimes it's easy to use that as an excuse

Joyce, Indiana
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,056 Member
    Options
    Sylvia I am sorry about the ticket. To me it seems like bad way to welcome others from out-state. To help our tourism I'd rather see if they can tell you are from out of state to put a notice on your windshield as a reminder to pay. I have gotten two tickets in Iowa because of not being familiar with the area. We also got a parking ticket in Chicago also because of not being up on their system. Frustrating.:grumble:

Today I will work in our garden so I wake to a more beautiful garden.:flowerforyou:

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    Hi again. Short but sweet. Big meal out tomorrow. Still under TDEE this eve but struggling. Lots of walking. Hope to maintain.
    Love to all.x X Heather x X
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Another fun day, but I'm pooped! We went to the last two pottery studios on the official tour plus two that weren't official. It was great! Then we went on a boat tour of the St Croix river. It was beautiful weather. Then we went to the local grocery store and picked up some grub to fix here in the hotel. We have a microwave so I'm going to try making corn on the cob. Never done it in the microwave before. Neither of us wanted to go out to eat, so we are relaxing tonight. Hubby is talking about driving to Fargo, ND tomorrow, just because we've never been there. Should be fun.

I hope you are all having a fantastic weekend like I am.

The joke today was short, stupid, and mean, so I'm not posting it today.

Sylvia
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just an update...the corn was great! I may never boil water again! For anybody who hasn't tried it, you just shuck the corn, wrap it in a damp paper towel and microwave for 5 minutes. It was perfect. Hubby loves fresh corn, but it was so much trouble before.

Of course, if you need several ears it might not be so great.

Sylvia
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :happy: :happy: did I mention that I told my (4) kids (and their various attachments) I did not want any visits/presents for mother's day?

So.... I did. I am very much looking forward to an unorganized, unplanned day. DH said: do I have to be gone too? I said: You already are gone on Sundays to feed the homeless anyway. So YES, I sure would not want you to stay around on account of me. Begone! I see you every day! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I quite enjoyed going to preggie DD today. I thought we were going to get into (re) organizing the baby room today. I asked her what it was she REALLY, REALLY wanted to get organized. She said: the garage. It is such a mountain of work. So that is what we did. My trunk has a few things to drop off at the sally ann, there are a few garbage bags of ...well...garbage. And really, she was already more organized than she thought she was. I was just there to help her along. And that is important when you're 8 months pregnant.

Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • Child_of_Zagaron
    Options
    Hi "milagros00" - I too am 54 and feel tired a lot. I am so sorry that your son died, such a terrible thing! I cannot image what you must be going thru, but I understand the impulse to turn to food. Food is my drug. I don't drink (maybe 1X a year on New Years Eve), I don't smoke, I don't even use pain pills - but when I'm really down I turn to food. I'll eat an entire tube of raw cookie dough (geez, did that last Sunday!) and then feel really guilty about what I've just eaten. Monday I started my fitness pal and I LOVE it. I love that it's FREE! I love that I can track all my foods on the computer or iphone - sure beats Weight Watchers! And I don't have to convert into points!! I've only lost 3 pounds so far but I'm doing this. You can do it too. And you're right, your son wouldn't want you to wallow around in depression and gaining weight. Take it one day at a time and I know you'll be successful!! And take care of yourself.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,347 Member
    Options
    Did one of the DVD's from that 90 Day Challenge. It was the back & bi DVD. I was surprised that it was as long as it was, I was expecting something only 20 minutes long. But now I really feel my biceps. Guess that's good.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do the Richard Simmons Sweating to the Oldies DVD. Something different......

Oh, is my stomach hurting after those cupcakes last night! I guess I could look at the bright side....all that fat is making my poops softer....lol

Kim - congrats on the loss. I never realized that even a 2lb loss can have such an affect on your body

Robyn - what an intersting story you gave us. I found it fascinating. Big congrats on the quitting smoking. What part of VA did you move to? Jessica (one of my daughters) lives in Reston and I don't find the food there to be very southern. Then again, I guess it depends on what part of VA you moved to. Dementia can be such a horrible thing! I try not to have not-good-for-you foods in the house so when I do stress eat, at least I'm stress eating on decent things. Only that didn't happen last night since those cupcakes were in the house. If they weren't in the house, I probably wouldn't have binged on them. Oh well..... Good goals -- STOP SMOKING!!!!!! If you don't reach any of the other goals, do that one

DeeDee - Noel sure is one smart dog. Have fun at your lunch. You'll make the best of it, I know that.

Gloria - your breakfast sounds delish

Gloria - great advice "if you don't love it, no one else will"

Off to WalMart now. Going to buy some things, I can get Vince another gallon of milk at the sale price.

Cindy - what I wouldn't do to see Derek and Julianne dance! You are so lucky

Terri - hi there. So sorry about your knees

jb - what can I say except that you are all in my prayers

Right now I'm making these sweet potato spice cookies for the gal who does my hair when I go Thurs. I was doing so so good avoiding sugar until last night. YUK
    '
    Today the Wii asked why I had gained weight and I was honest, I said it was due to night snacking. Then it said that at night to have foods that are easilhy digestible like tofu. And the silken tofu has been my latest kick, so I guess in the end it was really a good decision

drkatiebug - should SHOULD be very proud of your hubby for giving up smoking. Vince and I have been talking about what type of landscaping we can do this year. We want to get the landscape lights in the front which means we'll have to dig some of the ground up then put in the wire for the lights. Then put down the landscape fabric and riverrock. We want to also do the riverrock under the deck and finish by the side of the garage. That's probably going to be IT for this year. Next year he's thinking that we'll extend the drain pipes in the front and then hopefully get a lawn in.

What's up with MFP's database? I was trying to input "Taste of Home Sweet Potato Spice Cookie" I got all these hits for Taste of Home. I was only interested in the sweet potato spice cookie -- not everything else. Their sort seems to be off. I honestly didn't feel like going thru the WHOLE list of everything, so I just reinput it and said it wasn't a duplicate. I wonder how many others are going to do the same thing? At least if the items were alphabetized I could skip some and probably wouldn't have had a problem looking for TOH. But I got a hit for *everything*

Oops ! two of the cookies just broke -- can't give those away!

Just finished making some cheese meatballs. I'll take them to Rummikub Tuesday and have some for when my girlfriend from Switzerland comes over

Slyvia - I've never made corn that way. Thanks for telling me about it. What I've always done when I get corn on the cob at the farmers market is put a few ears in the microwave, micro it for a few minutes and then the ears pull right out, no silks or anything (well, I do usually go over it with a vegetable brush anyway)

Renny - you are such a thoughtful person to help your dd that way and to tell your hubby to feed the homeless rather than staying with you.

Child_of_Zagaron - you sound so much like me, don't smoke, lightly (very) drink, but turn to food when feeling down and then regretting it. Oh, boy, can I ever relate!

Michele in NC