infused water?

Options
Hey, all.....just started today. I have a quick question that may seem silly and obsessive, but I have been filling up a 16oz cup with water over and over throughout the day. I have a few slices of cucumbers and strawberries in it that I do not eat- just use for infusion. Do you count calories for that? Some of you might be rolling your eyes at me (I know I am....), but I would appreciate your input. Thanks much.

Replies

• rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I have not done this myself, but I don't think I would count it since you are not eating them. Since they are infused are you still getting the nutrition benefits from them? I have only recently learned about this water infusion thing so I'm not sure.
  • cathrenaud
    cathrenaud Posts: 2
    Options
    I am also new to it. I will do some research and get back to you!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hey, all.....just started today. I have a quick question that may seem silly and obsessive, but I have been filling up a 16oz cup with water over and over throughout the day. I have a few slices of cucumbers and strawberries in it that I do not eat- just use for infusion. Do you count calories for that? Some of you might be rolling your eyes at me (I know I am....), but I would appreciate your input. Thanks much.
    I would think any calories gained from the juice would be so little that I wouldnt worry about it.

How about this though, what if you added in the calories as if you DID eat them? Probably cannot be much anyways.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. but I also don't log my commute to drop my daughter at daycare.

It's very hard work to log absolutely everything you eat and do. It's tedious, boring, and borderline neurotic. Do as much as practical where the results satisfy you and the "model" (calories tracked) resemble reality (real-world weight fluctuation).

The question here is do you need to do it? If you're not satisfied with your weight management regime and you think something is "off", the first step is to improve accuracy in your logging.

I know of one athlete that started logging exactly how much he slept to fine tune his activity daily. In other words, his TDEE changed daily based on how much he slept. I wouldn't go that far if I don't need to, but this guy was trying to be an elite lightweight rower.
  • Summer_Roberts
    Options
    I have heard about this infused water but would it not just be better eating the fruit ect?
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The infused water is calorie free. :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    the calories that would get added to your water from dropping a cucumber or strawberry in there for flavor would be nominal...I don't even think they would actually register. You want to be accurate here, but you can go way overboard and become overly obsessive.

Now, on the other hand, I like my water infused with barley and hops...and that does have calories that must be accounted for.
    I have heard about this infused water but would it not just be better eating the fruit ect?

I'ts just to add some flavor to plain water...the OP has stated that she is not eating the fruit or cucumbers or whatever...
  • queenbellasmom
    Options
    cwolfman13 - hilarious!!

I've been putting lemon slices and mint in my water it makes me drink more so that is definitely a plus. I've also tried strawberry and mint, that was yummy. I also liked watermelon but it was very subtle. I will have to give cucumbers a shot.

Zero calories, no fake sugar/flavor... it's gotta be a win-win!
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I use citrus & cucumber slices,along with mint,basil etc. No,I don't count my infused water.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Yep - the calories would be minimal, no need to get obsessive :flowerforyou:

Strawberry and cucumber is my favourite combination.
  • pink00007
    pink00007 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    whew. Glad someone else had this question. :D
  • jadzia44
    Options
    I love infusion water! One of my favorites is cucumber, mint and jalapeño! The pepper gave a subtopics that was nice. I also didn't honk about adding any calories to my log. Should be so low to not have to worry about.
  • SilentMelody
    SilentMelody Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    As many others have said, the calories would be minimal so I wouldn't worry about it. Many fruits and veggies and even mint are great in water and you do get some vitamins and nutrients from using them in your water. Just make sure to change them out at least each day if not more (I can't remember the exact amount of time) that way they're not going bad and you'll also continue to get those nutrients even if the flavor is still there. :) I love using lemon, cucumber, and mint in mine.