Calculated my TDEE and its high!

Options
I calculated my TDEE using http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and it says my TDEE is 2799 a day, it only recommends to cut back 20 - 25% this would be over 2k calories a day! My MFP app has me at 1720 which I still feel is high but definitively doable. It seems really high, but maybe is just my mentality that to lose weight i must eat very very little. Second question I'm trying to understand how macros work and what I should be eating, any input or help is appreciated!

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Weight?

Age?

Height?

Seems right cause MFP doesn't include exercise points unless you add them. Then you eat them back.
  • mizzdimpl3z
    mizzdimpl3z Posts: 19
    Options
    Weight?

Age?

Height?

Seems right cause MFP doesn't include exercise points unless you add them. Then you eat them back.

I'm 5'7, 264lbs and 30 yo
  • dmenchac
    Options
    Weight?

Age?

Height?

Then yes, it is correct. You have a high BMR, which in turn makes your TDEE high when you add in the exercises. Remember to eat 10%-20% less than your TDEE.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    To add, you burn 1,950 calories a day just by being in a coma so normal daily activity plus exercise is why you TDEE is high. Not really high, just in your opinion.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE using http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ and it says my TDEE is 2799 a day, it only recommends to cut back 20 - 25% this would be over 2k calories a day! My MFP app has me at 1720 which I still feel is high but definitively doable. It seems really high, but maybe is just my mentality that to lose weight i must eat very very little. Second question I'm trying to understand how macros work and what I should be eating, any input or help is appreciated!

Those numbers are actually pretty consistent, since you eat back exercise calories with MFP. The difference comes in because of the 20-25%--even with a TDEE of nearly 2800, 20% is only 560, which is basically 1 lb/week. If you went for 2 lb/week, it would give you 1799, but the formula method makes it difficult to cut that much. I think it's fine when you have a lot to lose to cut somewhat more if you want, so I don't see anything wrong with the MFP numbers, but it's up to you to choose what you feel more comfortable with.
  • mizzdimpl3z
    Options

Those numbers are actually pretty consistent, since you eat back exercise calories with MFP. The difference comes in because of the 20-25%--even with a TDEE of nearly 2800, 20% is only 560, which is basically 1 lb/week. If you went for 2 lb/week, it would give you 1799, but the formula method makes it difficult to cut that much. I think it's fine when you have a lot to lose to cut somewhat more if you want, so I don't see anything wrong with the MFP numbers, but it's up to you to choose what you feel more comfortable with.

Thank you all! as I read your responses it all makes more sense. I really think I have it engrained in my head that I should be eating very little to lose weight, which has led to many disappointments and getting stuck or stop all together. Anyone has any recommendations for articles to read regarding macros... MFP is giving me 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein... should i be upping my protein and lowering my carbs?

Over the last 6 weeks I've been on a high protein meal plan 57% protein, 23% carbs, 20% fat and I've lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks (working out 5 days a week).
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    Try this calculator

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

Mod Sara recommends it in her post "Setting Your Calorie and Macro Targets" which you should totally read, here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This particular calculator/estimator has a great way of setting your average activity level based on the number of hours in a day and also has a very helpful description of Resting, Very Light, Light, Moderate, and Heavy activity.
  • dmenchac
    Options

Thank you all! as I read your responses it all makes more sense. I really think I have it engrained in my head that I should be eating very little to lose weight, which has led to many disappointments and getting stuck or stop all together. Anyone has any recommendations for articles to read regarding macros... MFP is giving me 50% carbs, 30% fat and 20% protein... should i be upping my protein and lowering my carbs?

Over the last 6 weeks I've been on a high protein meal plan 57% protein, 23% carbs, 20% fat and I've lost 20 lbs in 5 weeks (working out 5 days a week).

I think we all think "OMG THERE IS NO WAY I CAN LOSE WEIGHT EATING THAT MUCH" in the beginning. It just goes to show you how much we WERE actually eating. As far as macros, I would probably run a 40% protein 30%/30% to start out then adjust if it doesn't feel right. 57% is quite high especially for a female, but there is nothing wrong with that. Macro ratios don't cause you to lose weight, calories do.

Congrats on the weight loss by the way.
  • mizzdimpl3z
    Options

I think we all think "OMG THERE IS NO WAY I CAN LOSE WEIGHT EATING THAT MUCH" in the beginning. It just goes to show you how much we WERE actually eating. As far as macros, I would probably run a 40% protein 30%/30% to start out then adjust if it doesn't feel right. 57% is quite high especially for a female, but there is nothing wrong with that. Macro ratios don't cause you to lose weight, calories do.

Seriously, that's how I feel "IM GOING TO BE EATING WAY TOO MUCH!!!!" phewww great to hear is not just me! I will try the 40/30/30 and see how it goes. So dumb question, if the macros don't make you lose the weight, what's the point of tracking them?
  • dmenchac
    Options

Seriously, that's how I feel "IM GOING TO BE EATING WAY TOO MUCH!!!!" phewww great to hear is not just me! I will try the 40/30/30 and see how it goes. So dumb question, if the macros don't make you lose the weight, what's the point of tracking them?

Not a dumb question. Pretty much just for overall health.

They are tied together though. 1g of fat is 9 calories, 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories. That is how much energy our body takes to break them down.
  • dmenchac
    Options
    And to be honest, I would just concentrate on calories in/out now and worry about the macros as you get slimmer.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Weight?

Age?

Height?

You're using the wrong calculator. At your weight you need to use Katch-McKardle, which will knock somewhere around 500 calories off of your current numbers.
  • mizzdimpl3z
    Options

Not a dumb question. Pretty much just for overall health.

They are tied together though. 1g of fat is 9 calories, 1 gram of protein is 4 calories, and 1 gram of carbs is 4 calories. That is how much energy our body takes to break them down.

Thank you for the information, very useful to know!
  • mizzdimpl3z
    Options
    Weight?

Age?

Height?

You're using the wrong calculator. At your weight you need to use Katch-McKardle, which will knock somewhere around 500 calories off of your current numbers.

Thank you! I will look into that right now!
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel better, I started off in the 230s, and in the beginning I was eating 2000-2100 calories per day and the weight was coming off. I wasn't aiming for a super fast loss (I was still nursing and didn't want to impact my supply), more just getting into the habit and routine and discipline needed for future losses. As I've gotten smaller (I'm about to break 190!), my caloric intake has gone down - but then I started exercising more to make up for it :) Some days I eat as much as 2500-2600 per day.

You goal is to eat as much as you can to maintain a slow but steady weight loss, and to lift weights to maintain your lean body mass, and to do a bit of cardio if you can for your overall fitness.