Calorie Confusion HELP!!!

Options
I recently bought a HRM and I've used it for the past two days. Yesterday I worked out for 25 mins and it said I burned 40 calories. Obviously an error. Today I worked out for 30 mins and this time it said I burned 480. I also found this calcuator.

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

When I put all my info in including my heart rate it said I only burned 374 calories.

Which one do I trust? How do I REALLY know how many calories I've burned? Should I use the HRM knowing it had a clich yesterday or the calculator?

Replies

• cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i dont do it by my heart rate. i have a pedometer for walking, and then i browse the exercises and see what is the closest and put in my time that way.
  • Amanda_Bridges90
    Amanda_Bridges90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM was it?
  • elyse0210
    elyse0210 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    A Schwinn strapless with calorie counter.
  • Amanda_Bridges90
    Amanda_Bridges90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might wanna take it back and get another one. Something must be wrong w/ it.
  • PokenStick
    Options
    It's strapless so does it continues monitor your heart rate or do you have to hold a button to get it? If it doesn't, I'm not sure how it would get your calories burned unless it's assuming your heart rate stays the same through the workout or it makes you check it periodically. Doesn't seem very accurate to me.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a HRM and I've used it for the past two days. Yesterday I worked out for 25 mins and it said I burned 40 calories. Obviously an error. Today I worked out for 30 mins and this time it said I burned 480. I also found this calcuator.

http://www.triathlontrainingblog.com/calculators/calories-burned-calculator-based-on-average-heart-rate/

When I put all my info in including my heart rate it said I only burned 374 calories.

Which one do I trust? How do I REALLY know how many calories I've burned? Should I use the HRM knowing it had a clich yesterday or the calculator?

That's the formula I've been using for awhile now, and it's just as accurate as the HRMs as it's the same formula used in the HRMs. But you mentioned yours is a strapless, which means not very good. You need one that measures your HR all the time, not just when you touch the watch.

I have an older Polar HRM that doesn't count the cals, but it has a chest strap & gives me an average HR for my session. I use that avg HR in that formula to get my cals burnt.