Running in the Florida heat

Options
I have to do a 1mi walk to and from the gym- the issue is that, as a Floridian, it's getting hot. How do I get up the motivation to go all the way out there in 90F+ heat? How do I keep the energy up to lift once I get there?

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    My answer would be to just do it. I live in So. Cal. and the only time I have to run is lunch. That is going to be super fun this week with temps topping out at 100. I drink a lot of water, take it slower and dress appropriately (moisture wicking sports bra, tank top that is mesh but enough to hide the white tummy and shorts with lots of body glide.

If you have the option, go early in the morning or late at night when the heat of the day breaks (does it ever break in Florida?)
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really break here... it's currently 90 with 59% humidity, and that's on an overcast, non-terrible day. Sometimes I get someone to drive me one way so I HAVE to walk back, but I hate the heat. Plus I burn like nothing else...
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    hI,

I live in florida also,

Early in the morning or after 6. Do you have a bike?
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    live in FL too! I run in the mornings, I ride road bike back and forth to the office, and heck last night it wa 92 with nearly 60% humidity and our entire softball team played for 2 hours between 5-7 p.m - friggin hawt!!!

just think of the walk as part of the workout / warmup

It's only a 17 minute walk if it's one mile - quit sniveling

love me
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    How long have you lived in that climate? I found that when I first moved here exercise in heat seemed unbearable. I would see runners out mid day in the summer and think they were nuts. But I have found that I've adapted and now have no problem working outside in the heat. I just make sure to stay hydrated and use sunscreen.

Obviously early or late in the day is preferable but here during the summer that could mean waking up at 4 or waiting until 9 or 10 to go out.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    You are better than me. I live here in FL and it is too hot for that. I go from AC to AC only. The heat is horrible. (I am born and raised in Jersey, so that may be why).

If I had no choice though, I would try and go early before it gets to hot or a little later when it is cooling down. I am not sure your area or if it is safe, but 1 mile is not a bad walk to do it in the evening. Also maybe if you can, invest in a bike, so that you are there faster and not in the heat as long. Drink plenty of water so you are hydrated.

I mean people come here and walk around these parks all day everyday in this heat. 1 mile isn't that bad.
  • NotJustADieter
    NotJustADieter Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Gestated, born and raised in Florida... lived here for 21 years. Can't bike due to inner ear issues, and going out when it is dark is a no-no
  • MelleDJx
    MelleDJx Posts: 4
    Options
    hi i am in miami and new to mfp. i hit the gym 4x week and get in a long run sat morning:smile:
  • chelseascounter
    chelseascounter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Oh I was going to say cycle instead :ohwell: . I live in Miami and I see people running right before and right after the sun rises. That's probably the best time.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I am also Floridian, I do my walks early in the morning, 6 am, much cooler.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate

You also have to acclimate yourself to running in that weather.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I trained for a half in the Florida summer. Early mornings helped a lot.
  • barneychavez
    barneychavez Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Came from somewhere else where it would regularly get into the 90s before lunchtime and still think Florida heat is the worst! I run in the evenings when I come home from work but it's still light outside. It doesn't get dark until around 8 PM in the summer. On the weekends, the earlier you get up, the cooler it will be. Just think, the next time you run in 50 degree weather, you're gonna kill it from all this training in the heat! :)