How often do you have baked potato?

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Why aren't potatoes great for you? Do you have actual evidence or studies corroborating this, or are you just saying what you heard someone who read a Cosmo article that one time say?

I have always heard that. So I tried switching to sweet potato and I just cant do it. Now, if your about to tell me potatoes are good for me.... Your my new bff! Lol

http://www.potatogoodness.com/nutrition/
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    i dont eat them nearly as much as i should (i aint got time for that!)....but when i do i like them with sour cream, bacon, cheddar or pepperjack, butter, and chives.

http://www.potatogoodness.com/all-about-potatoes/microwave-cooking-basics/
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Not as often as I should. Potatoes have awesome potassium levels.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you want to eat potatoes, definitely get a food scale. It's impossible to know how much you're eating, or how many calories, by estimating the size.

I find weighing them raw the best way - they are always a lot heavier than I guess :ohwell:
    I like mine with salt. pepper and a little philadelphia light cream cheese
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    i dont eat them nearly as much as i should (i aint got time for that!)....but when i do i like them with sour cream, bacon, cheddar or pepperjack, butter, and chives.

http://www.potatogoodness.com/all-about-potatoes/microwave-cooking-basics/

we dont have a microwave :cry:

and now that i think about it....i DO have time for that. if i pop a couple spuds in the oven before i leave for the gym...by the time i get home, i should have some piping hot deliciousness waiting for me when i return. now i gotta pick up some potatoes. :drinker:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why aren't potatoes great for you? Do you have actual evidence or studies corroborating this, or are you just saying what you heard someone who read a Cosmo article that one time say?

I have always heard that. So I tried switching to sweet potato and I just cant do it. Now, if your about to tell me potatoes are good for me.... Your my new bff! Lol

Any food not laced with arsenic is "good for you".

Eat whatever you want. If it fits your calorie and macronutrient (fat, carb, protein) goals, you're good.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    About the only time I eat a baked potato anymore is when we go out for dinner. It's not that I have anything against them. I've just come to enjoy sweet potatoes more. With a sweet potato, it's good as is with nothing on it, but with a baked potato I have to dress it with something (I used to dress it with a 1/4 cup of butter, lots of sour cream and cheese and it would be at least 800 calories by the time I was through with it!). When I do eat a baked potato, I've usually set aside half of my salad and use that as my potato topping.

My favorite potato is the small red potatoes roasted with a little olive oil and lemon juice. I love mashed potatotes too, but for some reason my stomach yells at me when I eat them now.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Have 3 different kinds of potatoes (Yukon Gold, Reds, and Idaho) in the pantry and eat them several times a week... I put lots of different toppings on them. (Cheese, Salsa, Banana peppers, crushed bacon, etc). Nothing wrong with them in my opinion....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I never eat baked potatoes, but I eat roasted potatoes with the skin (sometimes mashed instead) once or twice a week. Nothing against baked, I just prefer the others and they are faster IME. I don't add anything to mashed (I mix them with my meat, yum), and the roasted are generally just roasted with a bit of olive oil and salt.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with potatoes unless you are eating too much and blowing your calorie budget. You can actually eat quite a lot (enough to satisfy me) without them being that high in calories. They are probably the maligned "white food" that I always want to defend most.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    We love them but ALWAYS weigh them! Turns out I was majorly underestimating!
    One of my favorite dinners is buffalo chickpea potatoes. so easy and so good! sometimes i will sub sweet potatoes because I love them too.

Our microwave has a potato button. really hard to screw up making a potato :)
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I love potatoes but don't eat them that often, mainly because I mix up what I eat quite a bit and they fall into the rotation maybe once every two to three weeks.

My favorite way to cook them is to throw them on the charcoal grill for about an hour (throughout the grilling of all the other foods). I then use a little butter, salt, pepper, and sour cream (if I have some, otherwise plain Greek yogurt). Sometimes I grill two extra potatoes and make hash browns the next morning with breakfast.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I never eat a baked potato.

The main reason is I cannot stand potatoes, I hate even having to touch them, slimy things. And they smell disgusting when cooking.

But that is my personal preference

I am concerned about the fact you have slimy potatoes. That's seriously not right. I wouldn't eat them either.

But the OP can totally eat her potatoes.

I should mention they get slimy when you wash and peel them, necessary for making mashed or scalloped potatoes.
    Sometimes I decide to be an awesome wife and make them for the husband since it is not often he gets potatoes anymore
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options

The main reason is I cannot stand potatoes, I hate even having to touch them, slimy things. And they smell disgusting when cooking.

I am concerned about the fact you have slimy potatoes. That's seriously not right. I wouldn't eat them either.

I should mention they get slimy when you wash and peel them, necessary for making mashed or scalloped potatoes.
    Sometimes I decide to be an awesome wife and make them for the husband since it is not often he gets potatoes anymore

Are you sure you don't have potatoes mixed up with okra? Common mistake.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    We have baked potato once a week or so. Yummy.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I eat potatoes in one form or another most days of the week, usually sweet potato or baby new potatoes with a herb and butter dressing. I find them filling, tasty, natural and nutritious, moreso than rice, pasta and bread. I have always eaten them and sure has not done me any harm. I honestly do not understand this false mythos surrounding potatoes.
  • zenhiker2014
    zenhiker2014 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a baked potato at least once a week. I use chunky salsa as a topping.

This^^^^.
    Or I cut them into thick slices, spray lightly with olive oil, sprinkle with little salt and pepper, and grill til golden brown along with whatever meat I'm having.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Are you sure you don't have potatoes mixed up with okra? Common mistake.

Nope I cook with okra occasionally, its mostly when you have the potatoes in the water to rinse, before I put them in the water they aren't slimy. I still hate the texture of peeled potatoes though.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    A supposed 170 calorie meal. Good grief!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I eat at least one a day. Cheap. Filling. As long as I don't add butter or sour cream or cheese or whatever...not terrible on calories.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them.

I don't have them that much, because I'm not really much of a potato person, I prefer pasta (I've regularly had pasta in place of potatoes in a roast dinner) but I quite like baked potatoes. I guess I have them every couple of months, with beans and lots of cheese usually!