• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    I did 5 sets of 100.

show off :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    This is the DUMBEST challenge i've ever heard of. Burpees are an explosive exercise; doing 100 in any workout is not beneficial to ANYONE, especially one who may be out of shape. Coming from a professional runner, trainer of over 10 years... there's no need to challenge yourself in this way. Find another way of doing it. maybe 45 minutes of activity for 100 days would be a better option.
    No DUMBER than someone running for 26 miles. As mentioned it's FITNESS challenge. Takes some muscle endurance and taxes the cardio respiratory system under high intensity. How is that not beneficial for fitness?
    If you can't do 'em, don't hate.:wink:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    This is the DUMBEST challenge i've ever heard of. Burpees are an explosive exercise; doing 100 in any workout is not beneficial to ANYONE, especially one who may be out of shape. Coming from a professional runner, trainer of over 10 years... there's no need to challenge yourself in this way. Find another way of doing it. maybe 45 minutes of activity for 100 days would be a better option.
    No DUMBER than someone running for 26 miles. As mentioned it's FITNESS challenge. Takes some muscle endurance and taxes the cardio respiratory system under high intensity. How is that not beneficial for fitness?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

So there is no allowance for rest days? Doesn't the # of burpees daily with no exercise more a recipe leaning towards injuries and possible overtraining issues (assuming a lot of beginners start on this or/and people trying to include this to their weekly routines).
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I had to google this. When I first saw the thread title I immediately thought of eating 100 cucumbers (Burpees burpless cucumbers are my favorites to grow in the garden)
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

So there is no allowance for rest days? Doesn't the # of burpees daily with no exercise more a recipe leaning towards injuries and possible overtraining issues (assuming a lot of beginners start on this or/and people trying to include this to their weekly routines).
    Some will be able to do it straight through, some won't. As I mentioned, if someone does say 5-10 burpees every half hour, I truly doubt they'd be over training. HIIT and interval training can be done daily if someone is getting adequate rest and nutrition.

IDEA Fitness member
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Why the hell would I do 100 burpees in a row? Ugh, that sounds awful. I'd do 5 sets of 20 or 4 sets of 25 if I were to do this challenge. I'm currently doing a challenge that I created myself, but maybe I'll take on the 100 Burpees a Day challenge in June.

I'd also like to point this out:
    http://www.fitnessblender.com/v/workout-detail/Burpee-Madness-Fitness-Blender-100-Burpees-Workout-Challenge/eu/

:)
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Burpees aren't exercise; they're punishment for dropping your hands during strike drills.

:ohwell:

... OK, I'm in for doing some every day. It would be nice to not hate them quite so much. I won't make it to 100, but I'll start with a set of 10 every day... maybe I can work my way up to a total of 100/day by the end of the challenge.

Why not?
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    so i did 100 burpees today - i had to spread them out throughout the day and i decided to hold off on the push up portion for a week or so, till i get used to the other motions a little more - i felt really uncoordinated and slow during the 6 that i did with the pushups, and the rest of the motions was enough for this girl that has never done burpees.

i am going to try -- wait no i am going to do 100 everyday for the next month. my biggest challenge is that i never stick to a workout routine but these are kind of nice (at the same time totally suck) because i can do them anywhere/ anytime. --- so heres to 3000 burpees over then next month.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Seriously? Burpees aren't exercise; they're punishment for dropping your hands during strike drills.

:ohwell:

... OK, I'm in for doing some every day. It would be nice to not hate them quite so much. I won't make it to 100, but I'll start with a set of 10 every day... maybe I can work my way up to a total of 100/day by the end of the challenge.

Why not?
    Your body will love you later.:happy:

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    so i did 100 burpees today - i had to spread them out throughout the day and i decided to hold off on the push up portion for a week or so, till i get used to the other motions a little more - i felt really uncoordinated and slow during the 6 that i did with the pushups, and the rest of the motions was enough for this girl that has never done burpees.

i am going to try -- wait no i am going to do 100 everyday for the next month. my biggest challenge is that i never stick to a workout routine but these are kind of nice (at the same time totally suck) because i can do them anywhere/ anytime. --- so heres to 3000 burpees over then next month.
    Let's rock!!!! Also, breathing technique helps getting them done a bit easier. I use a 3 stage "blow out" technique. I blowout in the first position, blowout on the kickback, then blow out again when I jump. See if that helps.

IDEA Fitness member
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Ok I'm in. Can't decide if I should do before or after T25....
  • AtticWindow
    AtticWindow Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I did thirty-five today (One set of five, one set of ten, so on until 35, throughout the day) but my knees are already starting to hurt :frown: I have PFPS and so my knees aren't awesome to begin with, but is there anything to do to minimize injury risk? I'm thinking I should leave the vertical jump out for now...? (Or should I get a signed note from my doctor excusing me from P.E.? :wink:)

Edit: Or I could wear shoes, I forgot about that :tongue:
  • DellaWiedel
    DellaWiedel Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had to google this. When I first saw the thread title I immediately thought of eating 100 cucumbers (Burpees burpless cucumbers are my favorites to grow in the garden)

Me too! LOL
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Insane. I start tomorrow.
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    So I've learned two things from this challenge.

1. Official burpees include a push-up portion.
    2. I can't do burpees.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

2. I can't do burpees.

I've seen it done three ways: with a full push-up, dropping your body all the way down to the ground and then pushing yourself back up, and remaining in the high plank position with no push-up. I think the one where you go flat on the ground looks pretty stupid, and it allows you to relax your muscles for a couple of seconds, which defeats the purpose in my mind. I usually do the one with no push-up, but the military teaches them with a push-up. Eh, whatever...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Challenge accepted! Today will be my day one. Shall I burpee until failure??? My ceiling is low so I can't do the jump. OK, I will try to jump with my head low.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options

2. I can't do burpees.

I've seen it done three ways: with a full push-up, dropping your body all the way down to the ground and then pushing yourself back up, and remaining in the high plank position with no push-up. I think the one where you go flat on the ground looks pretty stupid, and it allows you to relax your muscles for a couple of seconds, which defeats the purpose in my mind. I usually do the one with no push-up, but the military teaches them with a push-up. Eh, whatever...

its suprising how much difficulty the push up ands to it, even in the cardio vascular sense.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I'm in. So far today (Day 1) I have done 20, 10 and another 20.
    10 is comfortably aerobic, 15 I start to go anaerobic and 20 is my current threshold where I have to stop to breathe deeply to re-stabilise.

Hoping to build some stamina generally - especially as the burpee is a similar movement to the Ashtanga vinyasa - and to help promote some weight loss (about 20lbs fat to lose to ftrst assessment).

Uh oh - I can feel another 20 coming on ...

edit 1: another 20; that's 70 and counting ...
    edit 2: 20 more, just - 10 - more ...