What kind of damage does Diet Soda pop do?

Options
As I try to reduce the amount of sugar I consume each day by avoiding prepackaged and processed food. I find myself craving sweets as expected, I realize these cravings should go away or at least be significantly reduced in the next few days to couple of weeks. BUT diet soda pop has zero calories and zero carbs yet still has the sweet taste I am craving. I have heard to give up carbonated drinks to include diet soda pop, also the artificial sweeteners that is used in diet soda may also cause health risks.

Juice has WAY to much sugar in it and so much water a day everyday gets boring. So is Diet soda pop worse than regular pop?

Replies

• Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    No, there's a lot of fear mongering about CHEMMMMICCCAAAAALLLLSSSSS!!!! and stuff, but diet soda isn't unhealthy
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I've read about it in The Doctor's Diet, but I looked for an article to send to you.

http://www.today.com/health/diet-soda-doing-these-7-awful-things-your-body-1C6558748

That's why I will never touch it again. Even regular pop corrodes your bones. :frown:
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    No
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    My Dr. told me she would rather me drink coffee then either soda or diet soda and she would rather me drink regular soda then diet (and I am pre-diabetic). My nutritionist also advised me to cut down/eliminate it from my diet also. There are lots of conflicting studies out there but I am going to follow the advise of the professionals I am seeing right now.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I grew a tail from years of intense diet cola consumption! I think it's pretty awesome, I do stronglifts with it. lol

All jokes aside, I think there are worse things you can do to yourself than drinking a diet cola or 2 each day. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I exercise daily, eat moderately and enjoy my diet cola. If you like it, drink it :)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    As I try to reduce the amount of sugar I consume each day by avoiding prepackaged and processed food. I find myself craving sweets as expected, I realize these cravings should go away or at least be significantly reduced in the next few days to couple of weeks. BUT diet soda pop has zero calories and zero carbs yet still has the sweet taste I am craving. I have heard to give up carbonated drinks to include diet soda pop, also the artificial sweeteners that is used in diet soda may also cause health risks.

Juice has WAY to much sugar in it and so much water a day everyday gets boring. So is Diet soda pop worse than regular pop?

Yes, diet pop will cause one to experience many health risks... for example, if someone is drinking the last Diet Pepsi and I am thirsty for it, that person may face significant health risks due to their diet pop consumption.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation is my philososophy. I drink 1 diet everyday. I look forward to a can of soda, it takes the place of something (else) sweet.

Soda - all soda - is hard on the enamel of your teeth. Many sodas can contribute to heartburn/acid reflux (root beer is the most mild).

I'm not going to give up sweets for life, so I'm going to have to deal with portion control eventually. I make room a treat everyday. Diet soda is a little helper....but it's not the end solution for me.
  • Got_Discipline
    Got_Discipline Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Yes, diet pop will cause one to experience many health risks... for example, if someone is drinking the last Diet Pepsi and I am thirsty for it, that person may face significant health risks due to their diet pop consumption.

It's a joke but I will raise you a Coors light to your diet Pepsi.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,553 Member
    Options
    I've read about it in The Doctor's Diet, but I looked for an article to send to you.

http://www.today.com/health/diet-soda-doing-these-7-awful-things-your-body-1C6558748

That's why I will never touch it again. Even regular pop corrodes your bones. :frown:
    Unfortunately the article isn't conclusive. Many of the maladies that are mentioned are "associated" or "linked" to diet soda. There are lots of peer reviewed clinical studies that show that artificial sweetener in moderation is fine.
    And really, there's no "corroding" going on. Maybe loss of calcium from someone not getting adequate calcium to begin with, but someone supplying calcium regularly shouldn't suffer.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I grew a tail from years of intense diet cola consumption! I think it's pretty awesome, I do stronglifts with it. lol

All jokes aside, I think there are worse things you can do to yourself than drinking a diet cola or 2 each day. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I exercise daily, eat moderately and enjoy my diet cola. If you like it, drink it :)

And you have a tail! I really want a tail. Off to the store for diet pop!

All jokes aside (same as above), I got fat on all kinds of things. I can take or leave diet soda but from time to time, diet root beer just hits the spot.
  • dmariet116
    dmariet116 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is not the best choice, but it's obviously not the worst! Some people are sensitive to aspartame and splenda. If you don't get chronic migraines or other bad reactions, a couple diet sodas won't hurt and can be just the thing to get you past that sugar craving! You can even find some sweetened with stevia.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Shock-and-awe-picture.jpg
  • Got_Discipline
    Got_Discipline Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I am a heavy into drinking, smoking, and fighting.....Drugs well hey lets keep this non incriminating, but seriously I was trying to take baby steps to become more healthy!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Diet pop is probably the single worst thing I still put in my body.

In terms of satisfying the sweet tooth for zero calories its tops.

However...there have been quite a few studies done that show the negative, non-weight loss related issues that go with it. Especially if your like me and can easily knock of a couple liters of it in a day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,005 Member
    Options
    All things in moderation.

I would not recommend drinking a couple of litres of it a day - but I drink about 4 or 5 glasses per week and is causing me no problems whatsoever and have no plans to change this.
  • saranne1015
    saranne1015 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

HA, this guy gets it. diet pepsi, you are my one true love.
  • deliacm
    deliacm Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Anything that my husband uses to clean oil from our driveway is likely not the best thing to drink. Pass me the Fuji water, please!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Aspartame is the single most studied food additive in the history of the FDA. It's safe. Jeez.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    An overdose of certain artificial sweeteners can cause severe neurological symptoms and even permanent damage, I think also seizures and coma are a possibility. I forget what the OD dose was, but I do remember thinking that I couldn't consume that much artificial sweetener over the course of an entire day let alone in a short enough time to OD.

Go to Google
    Type in: Google scholar, and hit enter
    Type in: side effects artificial sweetener, hit enter
    You should get pages upon pages of various scientific articles, and most of them should be related to your keywords. I recommend reading only the studies that use double-blind. After much reading you should be in a much better position to determine for yourself if diet soda poses any significant health risks.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    An overdose of certain artificial sweeteners can cause severe neurological symptoms and even permanent damage, I think also seizures and coma are a possibility. I forget what the OD dose was, but I do remember thinking that I couldn't consume that much artificial sweetener over the course of an entire day let alone in a short enough time to OD.

Go to Google
    Type in: Google scholar, and hit enter
    Type in: side effects artificial sweetener, hit enter
    You should get pages upon pages of various scientific articles, and most of them should be related to your keywords. I recommend reading only the studies that use double-blind. After much reading you should be in a much better position to determine for yourself if diet soda poses any significant health risks.

I tried it, and every study I'm reading says no side effects were detected, except for a study involving headaches. Then it said that a small subset of people may have increased headaches from aspartame consumption.