Numbness/shock feeling

Options
agronx
agronx Posts: 42 Member
Has anyone ever felt like a shock then numbness on your right quad during a workout? It has recently started doing it when I am squatting with weight. The shock only last for a few seconds then that area on my leg goes numb. That only last for a little while. Just wondering if this is a common thing.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My thigh has been numb for nearly a year from doing the 60 mile 3Day breast cancer walk. I think the damage is permanent. I would be cautious if I were you as it sounds like the same nerve compression.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/509848-numbness-and-tingling-in-legs-while-running/#page=1
  • agronx
    agronx Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that article. I was trying to find something but didn't have any luck. I am new at weight lifting so I figured it was due to that. It doesn't last long when it happens. I will keep an eye on it.
  • jodescorinna
    jodescorinna Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This sounds exactly like what happened to me on my first PT training session ages ago. I lifted the bar for a dead lift and got this sort of electric shock/popping sensation in the side of my thigh. Nearly crapped myself. Thought I ripped a muscle (I always assume the worst!)
    Assumed abit of rest would heal it up but the numbness didn't go and pretty much every time I dead lifted it happened again. Not so much on the squats but it wasn't painful so I kind of put up with it. It was stopping me from progressing much though cuz I was scared of my leg giving out. So I sucked it up and booked a physio appointment.

She said she thought it was my illiotic band and gave me stretches and strength training exercises and also massaged it which was THEE ABSOLUTE WORST pain I have EVER experienced. Bruised me quite abit aswell. Had that twice and then told me to continue with the exercises etc and left it to me if I wanted to go back.

Pleased to say that although the numbness is still there a little the pain doesn't happen anymore. Also I got a foam roller at Christmas and have a right go with it along my illogic band now which is sore but really seems to help.

Sorry for the long post - when I was looking for similar issues I couldn't really see any which were similar to mine so thought I'd give you the full picture.

If you can get to a physio and get a massage and then invest in a foam roller. Hopefully it helps !
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Could be hip inpingement.. Try watching this video to see if this applies to you..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE-yVP691SA