When I exercise I don't lose any weight at all HELP!!!!!!

Options
I have been working hard and haven't lost a pound yet. I was not going to exercise this week to see what happens again but I feel guilty cause I actually enjoy it. I started out weighing 178 and now 166. But the only way I got to this point is when I did not exercise for a week. HELP!!!!!!!
Hello im new to this so not sure if I'm commenting in the right area. But it seems as if I do not lose weight when I exercise. When im not exercising I drop up to 6 lbs in a week. I have been dieting for over 2 months and I started with Weight Watchers but found you guess and it still has been the same result. Im currently doing 30 day slimdown by Jillian Michaels. And 2 to 3 times a week I do Hip Hop Abs. Before that I was doing treadmill. Please help. My diary is open to ALL suggestions. I also read I could be doing the wrong workouts that are too intense cause my HR to climb out of the fat burning mode for weight loss please respond.

Replies

• CaitlynsMom88
    CaitlynsMom88 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but the easy answer is that you're not eating enough calories...Do a calculation for your BMR (google it), it's your metabolic rate. It tells you how many calories you should consume based on your height/weight/age. It looks to me like 1200 is just not enough calories to sustain your body.
  • tinkbaby101
    tinkbaby101 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    How often are you weighing yourself?

It looks like you're eating back at least some of your exercise calories (which is good) while still maintaining a deficit (which is also good). After an intense workout, you may have some water weight for a day or so. You may also be gaining muscle while you lose fat, which is why the number isn't moving on the scale. Are you noticing any other differences? How are your clothes fitting? And how long have you been working on your diet & exercise? Because the easy answer is actually to be patient.
  • jodymaro1
    jodymaro1 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I find that cardio is only good for the heart, 20 minutes 3x a week. I believe that cardio burns too much muscle away! Instead, weight train instead 5x a week, take a protein shake, eat more fiber and protein rich foods, eat your vegies, and drink 8 glasses of water a day. If you want tips on how to weight train, whether to tone, build lean muscle, or build large muscle, message me or add me. I'm experienced in this area and would be glad to help in any way. ;)
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough for one, as previously mentioned calculate your BMR and TDEE you should at the very least be eating at BMR. The bit about water retention is also correct, after a hard workout you'll retain water for at least a day, maybe 2, Have you also figured out your body type if you're trying to lose inches/fat? BodyBuilding.com has a quiz which is useful to at least figure this out if you answer honestly - like anything else it's no magic pill but will tell you the ranges in which you should try and keep your macros at.

First I'd try to up the calories and see how that works - when I first started I was eating 1750 and only lost maybe...3-4 pounds before stalling, after it was suggested I up my calories I did so at 1900 and lost another 10 pounds and I'm down to 1850 now
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I find that cardio is only good for the heart, 20 minutes 3x a week. I believe that cardio burns too much muscle away! Instead, weight train instead 5x a week, take a protein shake, eat more fiber and protein rich foods, eat your vegies, and drink 8 glasses of water a day. If you want tips on how to weight train, whether to tone, build lean muscle, or build large muscle, message me or add me. I'm experienced in this area and would be glad to help in any way. ;)

It only "burns too much muscle away" if you live in mythology. In reality, it doesn't.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    OK there's a whole bunch of things going on here.

First, when you exercise your body may retain water to repair itself which may mask weight loss. These losses you describe when you're not exercising are attributable to your body getting rid of the excess water since it is no longer stressed out and no longer needs it.

Second, the "fat burning zone" thing is a myth.

Finally, if you are truly not losing weight then you are not in a deficit. NO ONE gains weight or loses nothing from "not eating enough". It's physically impossible. You also don't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. You may need weigh your food, correct measuring devices and track as accurately as possible.
  • Missymouse75
    Missymouse75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain honestly! I feel like I am going through exactly the same and will follow the answers on this thread with interest!!! Personally I think if I stick at it, log food consistently and accurately, carry on exercising, then in time I will see results - It would be impossible not to see a difference. I was tempted to not bother with exercise too (I'm doing home dvd's) but deep down I don't think that's the right answer!!!
  • Missymouse75
    Missymouse75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OK there's a whole bunch of things going on here.

First, when you exercise your body may retain water to repair itself which may mask weight loss. These losses you describe when you're not exercising are attributable to your body getting rid of the excess water since it is no longer stressed out and no longer needs it.

Second, the "fat burning zone" thing is a myth.

Finally, if you are truly not losing weight then you are not in a deficit. NO ONE gains weight or loses nothing from "not eating enough". It's physically impossible. You also don't lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. You may need weigh your food, correct measuring devices and track as accurately as possible.

Thank you I will focus on this great advice!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    If you want tips on how to weight train, whether to tone, build lean muscle, or build large muscle, message me or add me. I'm experienced in this area and would be glad to help in any way. ;)

i'm interested to know what the difference is between building lean muscle and building large muscle?
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    This happens to me but you just got to push through it! I lost 10lbs in 8 weeks from diet alone. Decided to exercise and gained 3lb.

The battery on my food scale died. So i replaced it with the battery from my body weighing scale. I haven't weighed myself for a few weeks. I continue to work out and have upped my calories to a set amount each day to remove myself from the "I've exercised, i can afford to eat..." mentality

I took measurements and there has been no change.

The changes I do notice are: I can do more of each of the exercises from the circuits i'm doing (Insanity) (in and outs before i could do barely any!!)

I can make it through the whole workout without feeling like i'm going to die

I can get through the intital warm up without stopping - increasing my speed each time (i used to have to stop more than once to get my breath)

I can tense parts of my legs that i never thought i ever had any control over.

These are the things we should be focussing on. Not what the STUPID scale tells us!!

And my clothes... They feel tighter :-( but i just got to tell myself that it's worth it... because every one else gets results, i will too i just need to stick with it.

What's the alternative? diet alone is boring. Working out is fun :-D
  • MadandSoph2
    MadandSoph2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    AMEN!!!!! My trainer always says.......gain before loss, especially in the beginning! Vanity set aside, we are all doing ourselves a huge favor my keeping our bodies strong and mobile.......ever since I changed my thinking to that, it has all been much easier! :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you want tips on how to weight train, whether to tone, build lean muscle, or build large muscle, message me or add me. I'm experienced in this area and would be glad to help in any way. ;)

i'm interested to know what the difference is between building lean muscle and building large muscle?

Deficit vs. surplus in calories?
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    My only exercise at the moment is walking....lots of it & I'm using my fitbit to get an accurate idea of calorie burn. I also find that when I do any other exercise, my weight loss stalls. I recently did Jillian Michaels 30 day shred - I was doing it for 2 weeks & lost nothing. As soon as I stopped doing the DVD I started loosing again. I would really like to carry on with the DVD, but for my own sanity right now, I need to see some weight loss on the scales. I have also had this problem in the past - I just cant seem to get the balance right.

Since getting the fitbit & simplifying weight loss to cals in V cals out - I have consistently lost weight. I'm a bit reluctant to start experimenting now with different exercise & risk weeks of no weight loss again. I weight everything I eat & track carefully. I am also very conscious of not over estimating cals from exercise.
  • cherylrb00
    cherylrb00 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Slk_555th everything u have said is so true. To all, yes I measure my food with measuring cups and I have a food scale. I also had the same problem with Jillian but I loved it. I was on day 15 and noticed changes in clothes but sanity wise my mind is still telling me what im doing is correct. On my profile I picked sedentary because I have a sitting job. But I workout 5 to 6 times a day and at the minimum 3 to 4 times a week( and the minimum only happen maybe once in a month) should I change this to moderate which would require me to eat more. All of the comments are quite confusing because its like a boxing match between the answers and when u get to the very last answer u still have no clue. Im very thankful but dont know the direction to take. I eat everything I logged even the gum I chew.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Slk_555th everything u have said is so true. To all, yes I measure my food with measuring cups and I have a food scale. I also had the same problem with Jillian but I loved it. I was on day 15 and noticed changes in clothes but sanity wise my mind is still telling me what im doing is correct. On my profile I picked sedentary because I have a sitting job. But I workout 5 to 6 times a day and at the minimum 3 to 4 times a week( and the minimum only happen maybe once in a month) should I change this to moderate which would require me to eat more. All of the comments are quite confusing because its like a boxing match between the answers and when u get to the very last answer u still have no clue. Im very thankful but dont know the direction to take. I eat everything I logged even the gum I chew.

I answered you on your other thread. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1295060-when-i-exercise-i-dont-lose-weight-help

In case you're not aware, it's against the community guidelines to post the same topic on multiple boards.
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options

What kind of exercise are you doing that you have enough time to do it 5-6 times a day, all while also having a job?
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    Read my above comment and you will see what I do. Im not one to make a excuse because i have a job and children. I dont care how late it gets I get it done. I feel like you are insinuating that I am lying and if so to answer that: I dont have the time or the patience to be sitting her on MFP wasting time lying. You make need to word this a little differently unless you are trying to offend me. And guess what im at work now and I am replying to you. There is always a way to get things done. Its called being a MOTHER. Also no I did not exercise Monday nor yesterday because if you read above I am concerned that when I work out I do not lose weight but when I dont I do lose. So im reevaluating my process if that is ok. There enough said. Dont judge me until you have taken a look at yourself. Come correct or dont come at all.
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    Thank you. I didn't know. Thanks
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Read my above comment and you will see what I do. Im not one to make a excuse because i have a job and children. I dont care how late it gets I get it done. I feel like you are insinuating that I am lying and if so to answer that: I dont have the time or the patience to be sitting her on MFP wasting time lying. You make need to word this a little differently unless you are trying to offend me. And guess what im at work now and I am replying to you. There is always a way to get things done. Its called being a MOTHER. Also no I did not exercise Monday nor yesterday because if you read above I am concerned that when I work out I do not lose weight but when I dont I do lose. So im reevaluating my process if that is ok. There enough said. Dont judge me until you have taken a look at yourself. Come correct or dont come at all.

Holy cow, calm down, I wasn't trying to insinuate anything. I was just trying to figure out if your exercise calorie count was off. I saw that you're doing exercise DVDs, but missed the other workouts you're fitting in to your day. I'm not following your day 24/7, so I was trying to get more info. to provide helpful feedback. But instead I'll go back to spending my time with my full-time job, kids, soccer practice, gymnastics, girl scouts, making dinner and working out every day.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options

It only "burns too much muscle away" if you live in mythology. In reality, it doesn't.

Agreed. If one eats enough protein per LBM you will not burn too much muscle.

Protein shakes are for those who have problems getting protein in their system which the OP hasn't stated having a problem with as of yet.

Toning isn't something you do via weights, its a look and result of losing fat through you diet and revealing muscle that you already have.

Building lean muscle vs building large muscle? What exactly are you talking about? SMH...