What made you join myfitnesspal?

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Boredom
  • tiger_striped
    tiger_striped Posts: 6 Member
    I got on the scales one day and was sufficiently horrified to take action.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    A friend from elsewhere used it to lose about 25 pounds. She told me about the site. I joined shortly after she told me about this place. The turning point was a Thanksgiving photo with the relatives.
  • KhatLady
    KhatLady Posts: 51 Member
    I googled "not eating enough?" and MFP came up with a lot of posts that weren't talking about eating as little as humanly possible and working myself to exhaustion. Made some faces :indifferent: :huh: :grumble: figured out my digits and stuffed my face like it told me for a few weeks. The scale dropped for the first time in months, so me and my full, flattening tummy stayed.
  • Sooki31
    Sooki31 Posts: 2
    Just applied. I have been told that counting calories can really work, so I found this website.
  • HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    didn't want to ruin my vacation pics this year :embarassed: (feel free to creep my profile..)
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    I was pretty fat. BMI scale said grossly obese. Then the Apple store told me ...

50048210.jpg
  • laura16220
    laura16220 Posts: 3
    My doctor recommended it. I had been using Livestrong, but my doctor recommended MFP - once I gave it a try there was no going back. Love the way it integrates with my other apps (like RunKeeper & DietBet). Also some features of Livestrong that require a premium membership (with a fee) are free here. Thanks!
  • MelleDJx
    MelleDJx Posts: 4
    Not getting the results i want in the gym. I feel I have hit a plateau and I am just maintaining. I thought i was doing good with my nutrition but I find that I need some help so that's why I am here. I am looking for friends in Miami, FL mainly but anywhere else is great too! :smile:
  • LessIsMoreCB
    LessIsMoreCB Posts: 16 Member
    After losing two people I loved to heart attacks back to back, I got depressed and gained weight. Then I woke up and thought, " Wait a minute. Am I in a hurry to join them? I have things to do, places to go and people to love. And I couldn't do any of it with joy in the body I was in, it wouldn't let me. So here I am, tracking every bit of every day, teaching myself to take better care and show some gratitude for the gift life is . <3
  • missjones513
    missjones513 Posts: 345 Member
    I needed to get back to calorie counting and I was bored with Sparkpeople.
  • firfeous
    firfeous Posts: 196 Member
    I was looking for dating sites and found MFP...
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    I'd quit smoking the year before and had become chauncey in the following twelve months. When I got to the point where I had to hold my breath to tie my shoes and was tired after running 150 yards, I took a good, long look at myself. 'Hoss had to go, I needed to be me again. :) Now, I like walking around naked, even though HR has a fit every time that I do.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    just wanted to be healthier and happier with my appearance. my 21st b day (october of last year) was my wake up call, nothing specific happened but i just kinda realized i was an adult and needed to start taking care of myself

mfp was just the first calorie counter i found, and i liked the setup
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    I did it to accumulate over 20,000 posts.:laugh: :laugh:

In actuality, as a professional in the fitness industry, I joined because I just want to share what I know with others.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Dude, when did you become a mod?! That's awesome!
    Today. I applied like 2 years ago!!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Congratulations.

I joined MFP because my clothes were getting too tight, and the price was within my budget.
  • haleema93
    haleema93 Posts: 70
    I was considering writing everything i eat down. So was looking for a website that allows me to store all the meals i eat online as i spend alot of my time at a computer. found MyFitnessPal and so far i'm really enjoying it :)
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    I joined because I wanted to lose weight for my wedding. I wanted to be able to look back on my photos and be happy with them. I had been avoiding the camera for a very long time. I wanted to love them. I wasn't happy with what I had done to myself and I was tired of it. I also was starting to grow out of my size 16 jeans. I didn't want to end up wearing an 18. I finally decided enough was enough but I knew I needed a new way of doing this or losing the weight would not work. I am so glad I did, we got married 2 years ago yesterday and even though I didn't lose all of the weight I lost enough that I look back now and I love the photos of me. I am proud to show them off :-)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    My decision to finally lose weight & get healthier happened because I was on a business trip and at my all-time heaviest (307) and realized I was no longer the fat yet energetic woman who could climb stairs and walk long distances easily...I'd started to become short of breath and had pain & swelling in my legs and that scared me. So I started walking A LOT (miles every night) and eating a little better and over a long period - about 4 years - I lost over 40 lb and got back to my usual weight.

But then I stopped losing weight even w/ healthier lifestyle/diet and I was discouraged.

A longtime internet friend of mine had been on this site for about a year and lost over 100 lb. I had never really tried anything like this before and had never 'dieted' and usually shunned stuff along those lines, feeling pretty positive about my body to begin with. But this girl in particular had always seemed happy with herself even when much larger, and that got my interest to be honest. If she was someone who was unhappily plus sized and then got skinny, I never would have listened to her or taken ANY interest.

So I gave MFP a shot and immediately started seeing a pound or two drop off each week (in the beginning) leading up to now, a little over 1 year later and I'm at my lowest weight since I was 14 years old. Pretty psyched.

As for "eating clean and going to the gym", not really super interested in that. I do get quite a bit of exercise, and eat a lot of healthy food.
  • fraklein
    fraklein Posts: 55 Member
    When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I didn't want to go on medication, so I started tracking my carbs, protein, sugar, and fat. After looking at several online trackers, I chose this one because it seemed the most user friendly.

I've lost nearly 50 pounds in 7 months with minimal effort, since my main goal is to keep my blood glucose below 90. And it doesn't hurt that I have accrued a group of friends to exchange ideas with and to cheer me on.