Can i have some 5 2 diet success stories please?

Options

Replies

• MMFernaays
    MMFernaays Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I`m a bit confused with all the information I`ve read on various websites regarding the 5.2 diet. Some say you can eat anything you want on your non fasting days while others state you still have to count calories and not to over indulge. I would assume the latter would be the case. I started the 5.2 diet last week and lost 4lb but did 4 half hour runs and consumed 2500 calories or less on my non fasting days. Just wondered what everyone else does on their non fasting days. Calorie count or just eat what they want?

I would really like more information regarding this diet. Is there a book I can reference? I like the questions the above (quoted) member asked! As a runner who runs at least 5 days a week, and training for a 13.1 in September, Is there any concern for feeling tired on "Fast" days? Lastly, the fast days don't effect (lower) your metabolism? Thank you in advance!
  • blackizbutiful
    blackizbutiful Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've scanned through a few posts and I don't quite understand what the 5:2 is....can someone explain it please. Seems very interesting with lasting results
  • P90XBowler
    P90XBowler Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I just started last week, had 2 fast days so far (another one tomorrow) and I love it, dropped about 3 lbs this far. It's much easier then I thought! I wish I discovered this sooner!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I`m a bit confused with all the information I`ve read on various websites regarding the 5.2 diet. Some say you can eat anything you want on your non fasting days while others state you still have to count calories and not to over indulge. I would assume the latter would be the case. I started the 5.2 diet last week and lost 4lb but did 4 half hour runs and consumed 2500 calories or less on my non fasting days. Just wondered what everyone else does on their non fasting days. Calorie count or just eat what they want?

I would really like more information regarding this diet. Is there a book I can reference? I like the questions the above (quoted) member asked! As a runner who runs at least 5 days a week, and training for a 13.1 in September, Is there any concern for feeling tired on "Fast" days? Lastly, the fast days don't effect (lower) your metabolism? Thank you in advance!

I would recommend the book 'The Fast Diet' written by Dr Michael Moseley and Mimi Spencer. The book goes into further details from the documentary (also by Dr Michael Moseley) and gives ideas of what to eat on fast days. From my understanding u are supposed to eat ur tdee on non fast days, this will take into consideration your running. The documentary is amazing it's available online, its called 'Eat Fast, Live Longer' and is a BBC Horizon documentary.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    2 days a week, eat no more than 500 calories (600 for men)

The other 5, eat approximately at maintenance/ tdee level.

Working out while fasting comes down to individual preference- but it's only 2 days a week

2 days, particularly if they are not consecutive, will not mess with your metabolism.
  • MMFernaays
    MMFernaays Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you All !!! :)
  • MyTee150
    MyTee150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just started it this week Im on my 2nd fast day today.
    its really not bad, I think this can be a wol for me!
  • MyTee150
    MyTee150 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of books about it, I just started it this week, but have read like 5 different E books on it from amazon.com
    The testimonies of ones in these books were women who kept calories under 1500 on non fast days... which seems pretty doable.
  • FionaMcblain
    Options
    How stupid to eat nothing, you will store fat that way
  • GibbsGirl13072
    GibbsGirl13072 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine? :laugh:
  • sheilaq14
    sheilaq14 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Been doing ADF or 4:3 for almost 5 months now, I love it! I am totally used to the fast days and know my go to meals, sometimes I go a little overboard on feast days (damn beer has a lot of calories) but it is still working. I make sure to work out on mornings following fasts so then I can eat afterward. Highly recommended, love to have more fasting friends if anyone wants to add me!
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine? :laugh:

Lol, a little ray of sunshine who doesn't know about the 5:2 lifestyle to have anything constructive to say. Do some research before slamming it!
  • lindsaystockdale2014
    Options
    Hi all. Looking for some support with this as im rubbish at sticking to anything. I am off to Florida in 13 weeks and am bridesmaid for my sisters wedding in 20 weeks. I weigh 16 stone and am 5ft 7in so have a good 5 stone to loose.

I last ate at 7pm last night and havent eaten anything since, just drank water and a cup of tea with sweetner and a dash of milk. Am i right in thinking i shouldnt eat until 7pm tonight and then it should only be a 500 cal meal?

Anyone got tips on how to curb these hunger pangs? I have decided to fast on Mon and Wed as these are the days i work so cant physically go and get any food and should be pretty busy.

Looking for a support buddy to keep me going!!!!
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Me! I've been doing 5:2 on and off for the past few months.

I've posted my "during" success story just a few days ago. Here is the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1331265-celebration-13-months-down-66lbs
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Looking for some support with this as im rubbish at sticking to anything. I am off to Florida in 13 weeks and am bridesmaid for my sisters wedding in 20 weeks. I weigh 16 stone and am 5ft 7in so have a good 5 stone to loose.

I last ate at 7pm last night and havent eaten anything since, just drank water and a cup of tea with sweetner and a dash of milk. Am i right in thinking i shouldnt eat until 7pm tonight and then it should only be a 500 cal meal?

Anyone got tips on how to curb these hunger pangs? I have decided to fast on Mon and Wed as these are the days i work so cant physically go and get any food and should be pretty busy.

Looking for a support buddy to keep me going!!!!

why did you leave it so long to try and lose the weight? just wondering as 5 stone in 13 weeks seems unhealthy/unachievable even with the 5:2 - 2lbs per week is healthy weight loss...there are lots of tips online for how to eat very low calorie meals so you don't have to wait to eat just once in the day on your fasting days....wishing you every success in your journey and for your sisters wedding :)
  • lindsaystockdale2014
    Options
    I have tried many diets before and had success until i stop them and go back to eating how i was then it all goes back on plus more. Ive only really just found this 5:2 after hearing philip schofield talking about it so done some research.
    I dont mean that i expect to loose 5 stone in 13 weeks, just that i have 2 goals to aim for and keep me going.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/8005-5-2-fasting

All you newcomers please do come and join us on this 5:2 group, for support and advice.

Lindsay, dont worry too much about the eating times yesterday. Today have 500 cals, whatever way you like. And tomorrow, eat at your TDEE again.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I have tried many diets before and had success until i stop them and go back to eating how i was then it all goes back on plus more. Ive only really just found this 5:2 after hearing philip schofield talking about it so done some research.
    I dont mean that i expect to loose 5 stone in 13 weeks, just that i have 2 goals to aim for and keep me going.

at least you're being realistic :) have you been on mfp for long? I don't call counting calories a diet you see, and nothing is off bounds and I've had great success and have been successfully maintaining for a year now :) in 20 yrs this is the first 'diet' that I've been able to sustain, cos it ISN'T a diet :)
  • KarenSKiern
    KarenSKiern Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started the diet 3 1/2 weeks ago and have lost six pounds. I really see the fat disappearing on my arms and abs. I found the first week difficult, but with perseverance, it's not a problem anymore. I also notice that my craving for sweets has completely dropped off. I think this diet is a winner. Having the ability to change the fast days really gives you the flexibility you need to still have a social life.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    To play devil's advocate: I did 5/2 (well Eat Stop Eat actually but very similar) for 2 months last year. I maintained weight and measurements. That is because this was a non logging experiment and I was able to eat enough on the eating days to counteract the deficit on the fast days.

Moral of the story: energy balance matters more than amount of time fasted

I'm normally a 16/8 ish guy but I like to self experiment.

I recommend picking the meal frequency that makes it easiest to hit your dialy cal/macro goals.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!