Heart Rate Monitors

Options
Hello All!

I get to the gym regularly but I know the calorie counters are not always the most accurate, even on machines where you input your weight etc...

Is a heart rate monitor worth buying to get an accurate burn count during workouts, and what would be a good starter-HRM to get? I'd be lookin to spend up to $100 (CDN) to get one....

Any ideas, or feedback from those who use them?

Thanks!

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    best purchase i EVER made!!! i bought my polar ft4 off amazon.com and with shipping incl. i paid 85$. WELL WORTH IT!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you eat all of your workout calories then yes, otherwise you can just estimate and eat some (not all) of those calories back.
    You will be able to track better with one than without but it is not necessary.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Lots of variety out there for HRMs. It really depends on what you want to do. For counting calories in a gym or while working out with videos, almost any HRM will work fine even the relatively low dollar models. They get a bit more pricy and complex when you start adding multi-sport capabilities, GPS, and other higher-end features.

I really like my Polar FT80G1 (white face), but this is probably way overkill for what you need.

I do recommend it though. I really feel that this additional information has been significant in my training.

--Carter
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I love mine (Polar RS100) and I got it on ebay for $75 with free shipping. If you can buy one I would do it!
  • sepatown410
    Options
    I don't track my calories down to the calorie, since I know it's such an inexact science (even with a monitor). I use MFP's numbers for my exercise, aim to be a bit under (don't eat back all of my exercise calories), and only use my heart rate monitor for one reason: to make sure when I work out, I'm in the zone I want to be. I naturally run too hard, and blow right past the fat burning zone. My heart rate monitor simply serves as my governor. =)

I don't even use it every day, just often enough to remember how much I exert myself when in the fat-burning zone. I can tell by feel.
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar FT7! It's waterproof too, so you could actually use while swimming. It should be less than $100. When I got it in July, I found that the calculators on here were overestimating the calories that I burn. I love to be able to see where my heart rate is at and how hard I am or am not working.

Edit to add:
    I can't trust myself on "feel" yet. Because there are times when I think I'm really pushing it and look down and see that my HR isn't as high as I thought it would be. It just felt like I was working hard because maybe I didn't have enough fuel for my workout or I was just feeling lazy or something. So, I wear mine for every workout! It keeps me motivated!
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Make sure you get one with a chest strap. Check out Polaruse.com
  • RDTaylor13
    Options
    I'd suggest getting one, preferably one with a belt. they will give you a more accurate calorie burn estimate than the MFP database, or any other calorie burn calculator. Polar, Mio, and Sportline are all decent ones, and any of those can be found on Amazon.com just check out the reviews of the HRM's before you buy one.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    ... I use MFP's numbers for my exercise, aim to be a bit under (don't eat back all of my exercise calories), and only use my heart rate monitor for one reason: to make sure when I work out, I'm in the zone I want to be....

I used to go by MFP's numbers...then once I got my HRM, realized MFP was underestimating my calories by 100 - 200 calories per workout.

I have a Polar FT4. It's pretty awesome.
  • utamore
    utamore Posts: 53
    Options
    I just got a Polar for Christmas--turns out I burn more calories than MFP's estimate (although it's not that far off).
  • AmyMooreOrLess
    AmyMooreOrLess Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    best purchase i EVER made!!! i bought my polar ft4 off amazon.com and with shipping incl. i paid 85$. WELL WORTH IT!!!

Same here! Best purchase EVER. I got a Polar FT7 before I started Insanity for about $90 delivered.
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    I love my Polar FT40. Its a little more than $100, but they have a bunch under $100 that will do the job.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Cool, thanks for the input everyone!