Hair Growth Problems :(

Options
I'm hoping that someone might have a bit more knowledge than me about hair and would be able to help me out a little.

So in Autumn 2010 I got my hair cut from below collar bone level into the 'Franke' (this for those that can't remember - http://ucesy-sk.happyhair.sk/celebri...ord1au2410.jpg ) and I really liked it. However about a year later I started trying to grow my hair back out. My hair grows exceptionally slowly and by this time 2012 the shortest bit was barely chin length. I kept at it and eventually got my longer side trimmed up to make my hair bob length as it was easier to style at all one length. By Spring 2013 my hair was barely shoulder length and I decided to get extensions - however they messed my hair up even further and I needed it trimmed constantly up to a long bob again.
It's now Spring 2014 and my hair is still not even shoulder length.

My hair used to grow very well, however since cutting it I have developed various hormone imbalances and PCOS. My skin has breakouts more often than ever, my periods are messed up completely (sorry it's TMI), my nails break easily and my hair falls out and snaps easier than ever. As a result I don't wash my hair every day, and when I do I use a little shampoo (trying to avoid that many chemicals). I also don't use heat every day, and when I do use heat I use those 'protection' sprays. I also take a multi-vitamin every day.
No matter what I do, it constantly breaks around shoulder length - my layers are completely messed up: they're all uneven and snapped, my hair keeps breaking off at the end etc.

My new doctor has recently prescribed me a new pill in the hopes of counter-balancing the hormones and PCOS symptoms. I'm also going to start iron/b12/prenatal type tablets again, because I know that can affect hair and nails.

So, after the long background story (sorry!), my main point is: my hair is still completely broken, and doesn't seem to be getting into any better shape. I'm trying to grow it for the wedding, but I'm not sure whether cutting it short again and trying to start from scratch would be the best approach to go for - especially since the doctor is looking into the hormone problems?

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Have you done any research into Biotin supplements? I don't have this problem, so I'm not much help. :/ Just thought I'd mention something to look into.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a nutrition issue. More variety, more vegs and fruits and see your doc to get a blood profile. Take the supplements prescribed.

Don't take iron unless you have a true deficit shown by blood tests. Overdosing on iron is bad.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Salmon

Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which aid in hair and scalp health (amongst other things), Salmon is a magic fish for hair growth. While there are other fish that are also good for hair growth, salmon proves to be one of the best, according to dieticians.

“Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and proteins that help keep your scalp healthy and your hair shiny, said Andrea Giancoli, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, in a recent article on LiveStrong.Com.

http://madamenoire.com/164942/before-you-eat-that-7-foods-that-are-good-for-your-hair/
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    What medication did your Dr give you for your PCOS? Please don't say Metformin unless you have IR.
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options
    Have you done any research into Biotin supplements? I don't have this problem, so I'm not much help. :/ Just thought I'd mention something to look into.

I took biotin tablets for almost a year and I didn't notice any difference whatsoever, but thank you.

Sounds like a nutrition issue. More variety, more vegs and fruits and see your doc to get a blood profile. Take the supplements prescribed.

Don't take iron unless you have a true deficit shown by blood tests. Overdosing on iron is bad.

I think I eat a lot of fruit and veg in general, and certainly more than I did when my hair waa growing, but I will try to make a conscious effort to increase and see if that works.

As for the iron my levels are always quite low, and during pregnancy I was severely anemic and prescribed medication, but it's something I'll be cautious of, thank you.
    Salmon

Rich in Omega-3 fatty acids, which aid in hair and scalp health (amongst other things), Salmon is a magic fish for hair growth. While there are other fish that are also good for hair growth, salmon proves to be one of the best, according to dieticians.

“Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and proteins that help keep your scalp healthy and your hair shiny, said Andrea Giancoli, a spokeswoman for the American Dietetic Association, in a recent article on LiveStrong.Com.

http://madamenoire.com/164942/before-you-eat-that-7-foods-that-are-good-for-your-hair/

I don't like fish but I'd be willing to try haha!

What medication did your Dr give you for your PCOS? Please don't say Metformin unless you have IR.

She changed my pill from microgynon 30 to loestrin 30 (not sure of spelling on that one).
    My old doctor didn't tell me that while on the pill any blood work for PCOS would come back regular as the hormones in the pill intervene, so she's changed me for 3 months to see of it helps ... my skin just seems to be getting worse though.
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    Oh, I see. You're on "the" pill. Somehow I read that as a pill for PCOS and a lot of OBs hand out metformin like candy.

I agree it sounds like a nutritional deficiency. Any other symptoms? Cold hands and feet, tired all the time, etc?
  • Cheechos
    Cheechos Posts: 293
    Options

Definitely do this first. Make sure you're eating enough in general, too. Healthy fats will do you a world of good.

Things you can do to care for your hair/nails/skin from the outside:

- Switch from regular shampoo to something without sulfates and use it sparingly. Do the same with body wash/hand soap/etc. Sulfates strip the natural oils from your skin and hair, which dries them out.
    - Look into recipes for conditioning treatments that use coconut, jojoba, or olive oil and start using those. You can also rub either of those oils into your skin when it gets dry.
    - Get some vitamin E for your nails and rub it into them at least once a day. You can break open regular capsules of vit E for this or buy nail oil with it mixed in at a drug store.
  • amykr93
    amykr93 Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

Do you think cutting my hair shorter and completely starting again with 'healthy' hair will be a good starting point? The only reason I ask if because my ends/length are all broken and split, and do not seem to grow. However, I have a full fringe and every 6-8 weeks it has grown between just above my eyebrows, to around nose level - so about 1 inch in 2 months. I know that isn't the greatest growth, but that would be 6 inches a year, and the rest of my hair doesn't even seem to grow 6 inches in 2 years!

The only difference between my fringe hair and the rest of my hair would be that my fringe doesn't have split ends or anything.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options

This is an intelligent answer.

Look into keeping sugars to a bare minimum and other dietary adjustments. This is a lifelong thing and should start with troubleshooting 101 stuff.
  • ErnestDecker
    Options
    For healthy hair growth protein is essential for this you can fish, eggs, bean, nuts etc. Comb your hair regularly, at least twice a day. You can apply oil also that helps in hair growth I would prefer you coconut oil, olive oil and jojoba oil. And never boil the oil, slightly warm it up. Massage your scalp regularly do it gently for about 1-2 minutes. If you apply hair conditioner, then don’t apply it to the roots of your hair.
  • ErnestDecker
    Options
    I think you should eat nutrition in your diet. It is one of the most common reasons for hair loss. Try to do yoga at morning. It will definitely help you.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    When I first began taking LoLo for endo I had what seemed like a lot of hair falling out. And I have lots of hair falling out so for me it was ALOT.

Some of it was stress. I'm still on the LoLo and it does help control my endo symptoms.

I have also switched to sulfate free shampoo/conditioner, especially L'Oreal brand since it smells freaking amazing.

I also don't wash my hair every day, nor do I use heat styling more than 2-3x a week.

My thinking would be that you don't really "start over" with hair, it grows from the top so you'll only be angry for cutting it even shorter. The ENDS of the hair are normally what need the moisture/conditioning since they are farthest from the scalp.

If you are growing it out for a wedding then you may want to just leave it be and start by fortifying the new growth. Small trims may help you feel like it looks healthier but I don't recommend more than that.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting..I've been dealing with this issue since my son was born and that has been 3 yrs.
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    Go to an endocrinologist and get a complete hormone check done. If you do have PCOS there may be some other things going on that being on the pill won't help. I had been talking to my OB/GYN for years about the possibility of PCOS and she kept telling me no, in spite of having classic signs and symptoms, but was never tested. When I saw an endo, she did a full panel and discovered several things, including hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, and now she suspects:..... PCOS, because now with the other problems resolving, she can see more of what's going on, yes I will be consulting with the OB/GYN at my annual about this as well, but now we have better information to work with so she can treat me better.

You may have an underlying condition that is affecting you besides the PCOS, so you need to get it checked. Since getting this resolved, I have more energy, less hair falling out (granted my hair is still very slow growing, but sometimes it's just genetics and sometimes they suck), and I'm feeling better in general (just gotta get the weight loss going in the right direction instead of sitting on the plateau... darn hypothyroidism making everything move at a snails pace!)

I hope you find the answer!
  • DSanchez83
    DSanchez83 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Shakeology.....just say'n.