To Lose 25 pounds I need to... is that right?

Options
So do I understand this correctly? I want to lose 25 pounds for vacation in 78 days so is the following correct and should get me to my goal?

3500 calories per pound so 25x3500=87,500 calories/78 days=1100 calories per day (deficit needed to meet goal)
TDEE is 1918 -25% (480) =1438
So therefore I would need to burn (1100-481) 641 calories per day from exercise each day to have my total deficit be the 1100 (or some combination thereof to equal 1100 deficit per day).

Is the science here right?

Thanks for the help. I just need to know if I do X I can expect Y result. This hopefully will get and KEEP me motivated!

Replies

• Angylisis78
    Angylisis78 Posts: 32
    Options
    So do I understand this correctly? I want to lose 25 pounds for vacation in 78 days so is the following correct and should get me to my goal?

3500 calories per pound so 25x3500=87,500 calories/78 days=1100 calories per day (deficit needed to meet goal)
    So therefore I would need to burn (1100-481) 641 calories per day from exercise each day to have my total deficit be the 1100 (or some combination thereof to equal 1100 deficit per day).

Thanks for the help. I just need to know if I do X I can expect Y result. This hopefully will get and KEEP me motivated!

Depends. Do you have more than 25lbs to lose? if not, then no, you cannot lose 25lbs in 78 days. That's one pound every 3 days which is more than 2 lbs a week and if you only have 25 to go you're setting yourself up for failure and frustration.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Depends on your cuurent weight, height, age etc... But for only 25 lbs that's really aggressive...
    Putting a time restriction on weight loss is a nice setup for failure, because ehen you don't see the results you want you could get frustrated and just give up. Not to mention weight loss isn't linear. You could be hitting your hoal 100% everyday and your results might not end up where you were expecting.

Also consider how you'll look and feel on your vacation. You could end up looking terribly gaunt and tired from the lack of calories/energy. You could spend your entire vacation miserable because you starved and malnutritioned your body for the previous 78 days.

Point being, don't expect fantastic results. You should persue a more realistic and less aggressive goal. Next time don't wait 2 month before vacation. Can it be done though? Possibly... But not recommended. Do what you can happily and healthily do, vacation, come cack and keep going.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

If your goal is go on vacation looking and feeling like rubbish, then you can try you plan you've got listed above. You'll be netting under 1200 calories easily, be tired, mentally foggy, possible faint, your hair will fall out, you'll lack the proper nutrients, and your body will be a thinner, flabby mess from all the muscle you'll lose. Or you can go about things the healthy way.

With 25 lbs to lose, your goal should be 1 lb per week weight loss. If your goal is to look good on vacation, then set your MFP goal for 1 lb per week. Eat your calories, plus eat back a portion of your exercise calories. Drink water. Lift weights and do some cardio. You'll lose weight and inches. Read these links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Your body isn't a math problem. Yes, 3500 calories is a pound. But your body can't maintain that kind of plan. Burning over 600 calories every day for 2.5 months is going to cause you to crash and burn. Also as you lose weight the amount of fat your body can burn at a time decreases. If you keep the same deficit you'll end up burning muscle.
    If your goal is go on vacation looking and feeling like rubbish, then you can try you plan you've got listed above. You'll be netting under 1200 calories easily, be tired, mentally foggy, possible faint, your hair will fall out, you'll lack the proper nutrients, and your body will be a thinner, flabby mess from all the muscle you'll lose. Or you can go about things the healthy way.

With 25 lbs to lose, your goal should be 1 lb per week weight loss. If your goal is to look good on vacation, then set your MFP goal for 1 lb per week. Eat your calories, plus eat back a portion of your exercise calories. Drink water. Lift weights and do some cardio. You'll lose weight and inches Read these links:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Yes to all of this. Also if you follow your plan you'll go on vacation with a depressed TDEE from being at such a steep deficit. Most people relax and eat more than normal on vacation, and that will cause rapid weight gain in this case.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    That will be very difficult to do, and there are many variables. One of the issues is that your body will change its metabolism in response to extreme exertion and low calories. You can make significant headway on your goal, but you may not make it before your vacation. You need to be sure to eat enough so your body is fueled properly. If you eat too little, you'll sacrifice muscle mass, which is not something you want to happen.

Allan