Starvation Mode: Myth or Fact?

Options
Lots of differing opinions. If I don't hit a certain calorie intake, MFP gives me a message that my body could go into 'starvation mode'. But I've read a number of posts debunking that. Which is right?

Ready, set, GO!

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I got that message once...I didn't feel well that day...didn't eat much...

Was I in danger of being in "Starvation Mode"...not hardly.

My opinion only...yes...I am sure that it exists...but rarely...and even more rare in the population of people that use MRP...if any.

I think people like to use the "Starvation Mode" phrase for drama...to make losing weight seem more "special".

Fact of the matter is...(IMO only)...no one eating at 1200 calories is going in to "Starvation Mode"...not even close. If someone chooses to eat below that amount then chances are they are not getting adequate nutrients but some manage to.

It reminds me of the phrase..."You're going to heil"...scare tactic in my opinion...some people like those scare tactics.

I don't know...I hate that phrase and how it is used in the "diet world". Use it if you like...believe it...or not. People just really need to use their heads. Have you ever heard of someone starving to death on a weight loss diet??? Most people will "cave" before they get that malnourished.

Sorry for the rant...I just hate when people throw that "You will go in to "Starvation Mode'" line out there...
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Lots of differing opinions. If I don't hit a certain calorie intake, MFP gives me a message that my body could go into 'starvation mode'. But I've read a number of posts debunking that. Which is right?

Ready, set, GO!

Are you sure you can't just use the search function and read the 7,536 other threads on this? Sorry to be snarky, but... this again?
  • Annie_01
    Options

Ready, set, GO!

Are you sure you can't just use the search function and read the 7,536 other threads on this? Sorry to be snarky, but... this again?

LOL I thought the same thing!

"Starvation Mode" is like a scary dream...that never ends...just like "sugar"..."eating clean"...etc...etc.

...a nightmare gone bad...
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Its a real thing...for people who really are starving and have been malnourished for a long time. For us...not so much.
  • NinjaUnicornPirate
    NinjaUnicornPirate Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Ready, set, GO!

Yes. And I have a dozen threads on the subject. But it seems there's never any conclusion on it.

Edit: If it's proven only to happen in extreme conditions, why does MFP site it?

48166354.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as starvation mode in terms of skipping breakfast, eating 1200 cals here and there or not eating for a few hours which a lot of magazines in particular make the public believe!
  • Annie_01
    Options

Ready, set, GO!

Yes. And I have a dozen threads on the subject. But it seems there's never any conclusion on it.

Edit: If it's proven only to happen in extreme conditions, why does MFP site it?

48166354.png

I would suspect to cover their butts in regards to law suits...just my thoughts on it.
  • NinjaUnicornPirate
    Options

Ready, set, GO!

48166354.png

I would suspect to cover their butts in regards to law suits...just my thoughts on it.

A fair enough response. Just seems curious that they would site it so blatantly with such a number of threads and research and such.
  • sheltol
    sheltol Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I prefer calling it metabolic damage but I'm convinced you can screw yourself up eating at an extreme caloric deficit in addition to an exercise regimen for an extended period of time.

The danger isn't that you will "starve" per say. As the other post mentioned, it would be extremely rare and most people would cave. It's when you cave that the problems occur. Your body has adjusted it's metabolism based on the calories you were eating. Now you start consuming hundreds if not thousands more calories after giving in. So your body doesn't burn all those extra calories it stores them and you gain even more weight back.

Perhaps its a strictly diet method vs a diet exercise school of thought but when you have a person eating 1200 calories a day and running 5-10 miles and essentially eating at 0 calorie net but not losing weight, something detrimental is going on.
  • Annie_01
    Options

Ready, set, GO!

48166354.png

A fair enough response. Just seems curious that they would site it so blatantly with such a number of threads and research and such.

At the bottom of every page...you will find...this...

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "

They are not claiming to be scientists nor medical professionals. They (I am fairly sure) use the standards set by the medical field and the government. It is why they will give you no less than 1200 calories in their recommendations.

IMO...the "Starvation Mode" that they display would better serve some if it read "WARNING...Below 1200 Calories you might not be meeting your nutritional needs".
  • NinjaUnicornPirate
    Options

At the bottom of every page...you will find...this...

"Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy. "

They are not claiming to be scientists nor medical professionals. They (I am fairly sure) use the standards set by the medical field and the government. It is why they will give you no less than 1200 calories in their recommendations.

IMO...the "Starvation Mode" that they display would better serve some if it read "WARNING...Below 1200 Calories you might not be meeting your nutritional needs".

Touche. Well put. *golf clap*

48166354.png
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Okay, this thread has been done before. I actually started a thread about his topic and wrote a very lengthy reason why starvation mode is a myth. It's here if you want to read it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/vismal

The TL/DR version is as follows: Yes you can starve to death, but if you do, you'll lose a whole hell of a lot of weight before it happens. The body can show metabolic slowdown when faced with a large calorie deficit for a LONG time but the slowdown will never be great enough to wipe out the deficit, therefore eating very little will not cause fat loss to stop. There are many reasons NOT to go on very low calorie diets, starvation mode is simply not one of them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

And this thread is going to be the one to end all debate and put some closure on this right?

I would also add that if you're getting "starvation mode" warnings, as a dude in particular, then you are doing this very , very, very wrong....

As a male, you need way more than 1200 calories.
  • bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    The best article I've read on the myth of starvation mode is here:

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I prefer calling it metabolic damage but I'm convinced you can screw yourself up eating at an extreme caloric deficit in addition to an exercise regimen for an extended period of time.

The danger isn't that you will "starve" per say. As the other post mentioned, it would be extremely rare and most people would cave. It's when you cave that the problems occur. Your body has adjusted it's metabolism based on the calories you were eating. Now you start consuming hundreds if not thousands more calories after giving in. So your body doesn't burn all those extra calories it stores them and you gain even more weight back.

Perhaps its a strictly diet method vs a diet exercise school of thought but when you have a person eating 1200 calories a day and running 5-10 miles and essentially eating at 0 calorie net but not losing weight, something detrimental is going on.
    This!
  • dollforlife
    dollforlife Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've been reading this thread for awhile and it seems your answer makes a lot if sense to me. I was really sick late last year and couldn't stomach anything for months. As a result I lost several pounds getting me down to 116 lbs(I'm 5'1). After I recovered I gained some of the weight back (20lbs in 6 months). My question is should I be eating back my burned calories? MFP allows me 1200 a day and obviously adds on to that on my workout days. Most times I fall way below the 1200. Am I sabotaging my efforts if I don't make up those burned calories?