weight loss advise needed :-)

Options
Hello fellow dieters! I asked this question yesterday but didn't really get the info I was after, so please can anyone answer me this.... if I am excersising most days and burning around 300 cals then that amount is added to my daily calorie intake. What happens if I don't eat the extra cals earned through excersise and just stick to my 1200 - 1400 per day as recommended? Will this hinder my weight loss?

Replies

• BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    no, however other dangers come into play while eating at that sort of deficit (you would be netting 900-1100 cals)
    i would eat back some (if not all) of your exercise calories, or adjust your calorie goal to account for your exercising. try not to go lower than 1200 total for a day
  • hannahjaques
    hannahjaques Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    From what I've learnt around here, I think you'll be eating at too much of a deficit if you do it regularly and so your body might turn to 'starvation mode'? I'd say always hit that 1200 mark at least, even if it means you only eat back some of the 300 cals burned and not all of them.
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Options
    Agree with the poster above. And to minimize the damage, try to make sure you're eating enough protein, or you'll start losing muscle mass. Especially if you don't let them rest and repair.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The calorie number that MFP generates already included a calorie deficiency. Go to MY HOME > GOALS and you will see the breakdown of your profile. When you burn calories, you are creating a bigger calorie deficiency which may not give your body enough calories to do its job like support lean muscle. Since the calorie burned on machines and gadgets tend to be overestimated, try eating back at least half.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The MFP way confused me because it always added more calories for me to eat and I never knew if I should eat them back or not, , so I do the TDEE way. If you go to http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and plug everything in, it will tell you how many calories you should be eating, with exercise included in that calorie number! That way, when you log your exercise in on MFP, just log it and say you burned one calorie just to keep track that you exercised, and eat the suggested number of calories that the iifym (if it fits your macros) gave you. The TDEE way is simpler I think, and my rule is every time I drop 2 pounds, I go back to that website and recalculate it to see what my new number of calories should be!

Feel free to friend me if you'd like :)
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    The MFP way confused me because it always added more calories for me to eat and I never knew if I should eat them back or not, , so I do the TDEE way. If you go to http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ and plug everything in, it will tell you how many calories you should be eating, with exercise included in that calorie number! That way, when you log your exercise in on MFP, just log it and say you burned one calorie just to keep track that you exercised, and eat the suggested number of calories that the iifym (if it fits your macros) gave you. The TDEE way is simpler I think, and my rule is every time I drop 2 pounds, I go back to that website and recalculate it to see what my new number of calories should be!

Feel free to friend me if you'd like :)

I think Im going to try to do this - I haven't lost any weight in weeks.... need to go home tonight and take my measurements so i can calculate my BMI
  • cleverclogs37
    Options
    Thanks very much for the advise that all makes perfect sense now! Whoop! Bring on the summer be nice to feel confident on the beach instead of being worried someone may try to rescue me and take me back to seaworld! No offense intented to anyone just a joke :-) :-) :-)