Mouth breather when running

Options
MyiahRose
MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
I have always been a mouth breather when running. I find it impossible to just breathe through my nose.
I have to always breathe through my mouth and nose at the same time or i get cramps, which is sign of improper breathing or not enough oxygen. Problem is my mouth gets dry all the time because of it and i dont like to drink when running.
Any tips? Is anyone else a mouth breather?

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    when i feel like I have to breath through my mouth to get in more air, I slow down. I try and inhale through my nose and when I go up hills i inhale through my mouth. the only thing I can suggest is take a sip of water when your mouth gets dry. I don't really know of any other way. what is the problem with drinking while running? the mechanics of physically reaching for the bottle and replacing it? I know even with my fuel belt it can be a little cumbersome but It works for me. I use a nathan's speed 2 belt with two water bottles. You can try a camabak which has a hose that you just put in your mouth and swish some water in your mouth and spit out the water. hopefully someone can help you with other ideas.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you only want to breathe through your nose??? I'll take as much oxygen as possible, thankyouverymuch.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you only want to breathe through your nose??? I'll take as much oxygen as possible, thankyouverymuch.

I agree with you, but when the santa ana winds are blowing in san diego the air is super dry and my mouth gets super dry. I just breath through my nose and exhale through my mouth. if that means running a little slower than I run a little slower. I don't run for time just distance. so if it takes me an hour to run 10K so be it.
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My mouth also gets quite dry - I started stashing a mint or jolly rancher in my arm band that holds my phone (or a pocket if I have one). It may not be the *best* idea to run with something in your mouth, but it has helped me a great deal. When I start running longer distances while training for a half, I'll probably start carrying water with me.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I have always been a mouth breather when running. I find it impossible to just breathe through my nose.
    I have to always breathe through my mouth and nose at the same time or i get cramps, which is sign of improper breathing or not enough oxygen. Problem is my mouth gets dry all the time because of it and i dont like to drink when running.

I also only breath through my mouth. If I breath through my nose, it dries out my nasal cavity and it is quite painful.
    I don't have a problem with dry mouth, but have you tried chewing gum? Just don't choke!
  • SaraC1977
    SaraC1977 Posts: 51
    Options
    I run with gum. Always have....it helps.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I run with a belt and bring liquid with me or stop at a water fountain. You don't need to drink a lot. I actually do most of my drinking on my cool down walk but it's nice to have water or gatorade with me for when I do need it.
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem until I started chewing gum. Works like a charm.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Chew gum

End thread

Go jump in the lake
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I also only breath through my mouth. If I breath through my nose, it dries out my nasal cavity and it is quite painful.
    I don't have a problem with dry mouth, but have you tried chewing gum? Just don't choke!

this.

nasal breathing kills me- I only do it when I'm sucking wind after long sprints to try to get my breath/heart organized.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    embrace sipping water once in awhile while running. or swish n spit.

ibdPhjvOBSHo7f.gif
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Mouth breathing? You mean just breathing? You mean not keeling over dead? Yeah, I'm on board with that.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Oh wait, so I dont have to struggle to breathe through my nose only when running? This is good as I have sinus issues and usually only one nostril is working.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    mouth breather asking for tips *snort*

good luck on your journey OP :flowerforyou:
  • Zx14chick
    Zx14chick Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to try running with gum. Makes me giggle a little bit to think of the old saying about being so clumsy they can't walk and chew gum at the same time.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm a mouth breather too - narrow nasal passages. I try to bring a little water with me and at least take a quick sip when I need it. Some folks chew gum but I've never tried it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Simple, as others said, chew gum so you make more saliva. I am a mouth breathing runner (that's the only time, I swear), and if I don't have gum or a drank, I just spit a lot. It's fun to try to hit signs and stuff too.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a dumb question... I remember that I or someone else asked a running coach this question when I first started training for a half marathon. The coach said (and I paraphrase), breathe however you can get the most oxygen in your body! Mouth, nose, both, whatever!
  • CitizenXVIII
    CitizenXVIII Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've seen people suggest inhaling through the nose and exhaling through the mouth. To me, good breathing while running is deep and slow, no matter where the air comes in. I try to inhale over 3 steps and exhale over another 3. The hardest thing for me to learn was to breathe deep down, not shallow. Shallow breathing is a major cause of side stitches. I can go much farther with deep, rhythmic breathing.