Should I think of a time limi goal?

So many people want to lose x amount of pounds by a certain specific date. I want to lose x pounds but my date is vague and nebulous. So long as it's generally going down, I don't care how long it takes. I figure it took me about a decade to get fat, so it will take a few years for it to come off.

Would I be better off setting a date goal? Like I want it all off in 18 months or I want to lose 30 pounds in x amount of time? My gut says the goals with the time limits could be a serious bummer if I don't hit them, but maybe I'd get more motivated if I had them.

Replies

• PinkCuda13
    PinkCuda13 Posts: 11 Member
    I think having a goal will help you hold yourself accountable. Do not have such a big goal and then get discouraged. I think starting at small steps and working your way up to the big goal is much more attainable. I usually have monthly goals and seem to stick by them. I also record all the positive changes I do so I can see for myself all the progress I have made. Start with small healthy changes and work that into a lifestyle change. :) Good Luck!
  • sadrithmora
    sadrithmora Posts: 121
    Can help, as long as it doesn't push you the wrong way. Downsides would be you trying to lose too fast (not healthy), not getting enough protein because of that (and thus weight loss will also be muscle loss). Also a possibility that if you don't meet the time limit goal, you can get discouraged. Personally, I think time limits are bad. But if you think you can avoid the problems, go for it, can be a great motivational tool too!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    I think setting a goal of 1-2 lbs a week is ideal. You can make mini goal dates and leave the final goal weight date open a bit. Just remember if you don't make the goal you didn't fail. You did something and that is what is important.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    So many people want to lose x amount of pounds by a certain specific date. I want to lose x pounds but my date is vague and nebulous. So long as it's generally going down, I don't care how long it takes. I figure it took me about a decade to get fat, so it will take a few years for it to come off.

Would I be better off setting a date goal? Like I want it all off in 18 months or I want to lose 30 pounds in x amount of time? My gut says the goals with the time limits could be a serious bummer if I don't hit them, but maybe I'd get more motivated if I had them.

Don't time it. Breaking a large goal up into smaller ones is fine - find some reward for 1st 10, 2nd 10, whatever. Timing it makes you think "failure" when you don't reach the date. Losing 10 pounds is NOT failure......ever.

There are many factors that will effect timing. Weight loss will not be linear, we are not machines. As you get closer to goal, weight loss will slow. 1/2 pound a week is good progress for someone with 10-15 pounds to lose.
  • lindadprice
    lindadprice Posts: 150 Member
    I do a lot of reading about losing weight and this is my advice. I would make a goal like i'm going to lose x amount of pounds and 6 months. Making a goal is going to help. If you don't make the goal thats only normal its just something to strive for. I wouldn't lose more than 1 lbs a week unless you have a lot of weight to lose and you naturally lose more a week. I would start with little goals a week like I want to exercise 20 mins 5 days a week and slowly work your way up. Also do things you enjoy to help keep your goal like going for a walk etc. If you start off with way high expectations your going to deter yourself from making your goasl and its not going to help. If you eat to much one day or don't have time to work out don't give up just try the next day.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    I think it would be dangerous to set a goal such as X amount of calories by the end of the year. The only goal you should shoot for in my opinion is 1-2 lbs per week on average with maybe a break every 4-6 months where you eat at maintenance mode to relax and recover.

Setting a time limit implies that you will do this diet until you reach xx amount of calories at xx time. For me, this is something I'm going to do the rest of my life and even after I drop the weight i want I plan to bulk and build muscle which will also still require me to count calories, goda eat more than I burn to build muscle after all and I don't want to gain all of the weight back.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    I think it would be dangerous to set a goal such as X amount of calories by the end of the year. The only goal you should shoot for in my opinion is 1-2 lbs per week on average with maybe a break every 4-6 months where you eat at maintenance mode to relax and recover.

Setting a time limit implies that you will do this diet until you reach xx amount of calories at xx time. For me, this is something I'm going to do the rest of my life and even after I drop the weight i want I plan to bulk and build muscle which will also still require me to count calories, goda eat more than I burn to build muscle after all and I don't want to gain all of the weight back.
    i agree with this, but then again setting a time specific goal does help with seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. some people (myself included) need something to strive towards, others can do just fine without
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    In my opinion, attaching a time limit to weight loss goals only serves to make you stress about it, and pressures you to pursue more extreme/unhealthy ways of going about it.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    I have mini-goals but I haven't set any time limits on reaching them. I'm not in a sprint or a marathon. I'm just relearning to eat right and my body is shrinking because of it. I have a general idea of where I want to end up but even that isn't set in stone.