Which is better weight watchers or MFP

Options
Im undecided if i want to join weight watchers or not. I did the weight watchers thing a couple of years ago and it didnt really work for me, but I have herd it changed I was thinking of joining to jump start my weight loss and then doing MFP. Which do you think is better??

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    MFP, it's free.
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    MFP, it's free.

/agree!!
  • shaweetie
    shaweetie Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    MFP, it's free.

Totally agree!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    MFP, MFP lets you know the macro nutrients you are eating as well, WW is just calorie counting simplified but with no emphasis on fat/carbs/protein ratios
  • yasdnilear
    yasdnilear Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I've done weight watchers and it worked really well for me, but mfp is working too. So I'd say try mfp for a month or two cuz it's free and see how it works for ya. Then maybe assess at the end of that time if you wanna stick with it.
  • dendra7
    dendra7 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    MFP is free. Either way you are accountable to yourself....joining the site won't cut the weight...only consistent, real efforts will do it. Best wishes either way!
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I lost almost 90 pounds on WW a couple years ago but I like both options. I think your choice has to depend on several things:
    1. Cost
    2. Access, there is no mobile app for MFP via Blackberry yet (which is very annoying to me) :wink:
    3. How much information you want to track. WW tracks points, MFP tracks all the details (calories, fat, protein, etc)

It was a real eye opening for me when I came to MFP because I was so used to looking at things based only on calories, fat and fiber...I really wasn't paying much attention to protein, carbs, sodium, etc.
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I agree MFP! Why should I have to pay money for boring meetings? I hardly lost with WW and they don't teach you much about fitness and health.
  • coog81855
    Options
    I have now done both WW and MFP. To be quite honest I have found that MFP is easier to use and it's free! I was a diehard WW fan until they changed the program. It is now very similar to MFP so why pay for it when you can get it for free! MFP is user friendly and has a great community of help and inspiration. Keeps up with everything (if you log it in). Great site!!!!!!!:happy:
  • Kendra7107
    Options
    I would have to agree with the other posters. MFP is free and I have had just as much success if not more with it than I have Weight Watchers. Also, I like to get on MFP whenever I want and need a bit of motivation and encouragement. Sometimes even at midnight. :-)

However, most studies do say that of the leading weight loss programs, i.e. Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, etc. Weight Watchers is the most successful and there are a lot of people that benefit from the meetings.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of WW but I do not go nor do I use after finding MFP! Besides being free, I just like it sooooo much more!! Best wishes in the choice you make!!!
  • skinnyclothes
    Options
    I'm enjoying mfp I tried quick weight loss a few years ago and that didn't really help (got a great cook book out of it but thats about it) A friend of mine that did it started actually losing her hair! I have a great uncle that is doing nutrisystem and since doing that its great! My cousin's husband also did Nutrisystem and enjoyed it. I don't really know much about weight watchers though. I'm sticking with this and my work outs for now. Once I feel ready I'm doing a fitness bootcamp for 2 weeks. Already paid for lol. I say find a buddy and use the buddy system to lose weight and get fit with.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I'm like you. I've had very good results using MFP, but am wanting to get a better handle on my daily nutrition. I'm thinking about going to WW (January is no membership fee, just weekly meetings), getting the information and understanding of how to better manage my eating, and then quitting after a month with WW - continuing with MFP.
  • 0JuicyLucy0
    Options
    Like many others I would say MFP I have tried everything in the book to lose weight and MFP is the only thing I have seen the results I want ! I love all the support, its FREE, it calculates everything for you there are people on to support or answer questions you have 24/7 It's a great positive site !
  • maritajane
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - MFP works best for me. I like logging what I eat on my iphone every day and find this really helps me to monitor what I eat and drink. It's so motivating to weigh myself and find that I have lost a little bit more. I did let it go for about 2 weeks over Xmas - and regained about 4 pounds! Depressing. But now I am back and just thanking my lucky stars that I haven't gone right back to square 1. Yes the key to success is consistency - and MFP really helps with that on a daily basis.

Go for it - use MFP and you won't look back. And spend what you've saved on WW on a new pair of jeans.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    MFP, MFP lets you know the macro nutrients you are eating as well, WW is just calorie counting simplified but with no emphasis on fat/carbs/protein ratios

This is wrong, the new program works these into the new Points Plus Program. Points are determined by protein, carbohydrates, fat and fiber. So it's no longer what it once was. The only thing I don't like about the new PP program is that all Fruit & Vegetables is 0 points! yes all... that means all that natural sugar does not make a difference? For someone like myself that is untrue..

I am personally going to try WW, only because it makes me accountable for my weight when I have to physically go to the meeting and weigh in in front of someone... that accountability might be what I need.
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone :smile:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I agree MFP since it is free and tracks thing so well for me :)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I've never done Weight Watchers but MFP is free, offers AMAZING support, and I've lost almost 50 pounds since mid-September.
  • cheryltini
    Options
    I agree MFP!