How in the WORLD do you control sodium intake!?

Options
There seems to be sodium in everything!! I love fresh fruits and veggies. I munch on snow peas, carrots, green pepper, grape tomatoes, and other fresh veggies....but I NEED to have the 2 tbsp of ranch dressing to go with them! I love ham and turkey rolled up as a snack....hellllo, SODIUM!?! Almost all the things I think are "healthy choices" are sabotaged by sodium!

And certainly, my recent "healthy choices" have less sodiumm than the horrible food choices I was making just a week ago, but I just feel like a part of me fails everyday when I go over on sodium despite my improved choices.

I know sodium wont make me gain weight (except water weight), but it has to be slowing my weight loss. I am consistently over on my daily sodium allowance every single day. Any tips, tricks, or suggestions to limit it? combat it? I have high cholesterol, too, so I know I NEED to work on this fast!

Thanks!

Replies

• SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! It seems I go over my sodium at least a few days out of the week. Watch out for soup too!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My diary is public and I am usually well below my limit - take a look for ideas.

Easiest way is to avoid processed foods as they have TONS of sodium, but if you can't avoid them entirely, pick the lower sodium varieties.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Eat Fresh "real" whole food, almost no sodium at all. Stay away from processed foods especially sandwich meat.
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position. I go over my allotted sodium intake every day by a LOT. Sometimes it's just a few hundred mg but yesterday was 1200 mg over. I never really noticed how much sodium is in everything until I started using MFP. Since I have high BP I really need to get this under control. Even all of the healthy foods like lean cuisine have a ton of sodium. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Balance it out with items high in potassium. So long long as those 2 minerals are in balance, you'll be fine. It has to do with the transfer of fluids into and out of your cells
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Make it from scratch, eat whole foods, and rinse the heck out of canned veggies.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Sandwich meat is loaded with sodium, so I would stay away from that if possible.

Have you tried low-sodium or no-salt-added options? Sometimes I am under my sodium limit lately and I'm contributing it to the new foods I have purchased. I make sure when I'm grocery shopping to check the sodium of everything I'm eating, and will buy the "low sodium" or "no salt added" option if available.

=)

Also, canned foods have more sodium that frozen. So if you're eating canned foods, try switching to frozen (or fresh would be better LOL).
  • stang41992
    stang41992 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    How about you make your own dressing? That could help! I also agree with those that say stay away from anything processed (ahem, Lean Cuisine) that pretends to be healthy. If you need the convenience of freezer foods, cook several things over the weekend and freeze them. Then all you have to do is defrost and eat :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Eat less processed foods.
    The "real" foods as one of the other posters said.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same position. I go over my allotted sodium intake every day by a LOT. Sometimes it's just a few hundred mg but yesterday was 1200 mg over. I never really noticed how much sodium is in everything until I started using MFP. Since I have high BP I really need to get this under control. Even all of the healthy foods like lean cuisine have a ton of sodium. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lean cuisines are not healthy food. For some reason we as a society think that because something is low in calories is is healthy. No processed food should be considered healthy even if it has veggies and is low is cals.

OP- for the ranch take half of what you use and add half plain yogurt, more protein less fat and salt.
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    You can get low sodium lunch meat at the grocery store. It's more expensive than other brands, but it's available. Ranch--there's nothing you can do about that if you have to have it except to limit the amount of Ranch you eat.

You can use unsalted butter or olive oil for your cooking if that helps.

I started cooking my own meats and slicing them for lunch--tuna steaks, beef steak, veal, and chicken. That helped my sodium a lot. It's also way cheaper than buying lunch meat. Also, instead of using pasta box mixes, I started baking a casserole dish of pasta, then freezing individual servings in baggies so I don't have to reach for a frozen TV dinner whenever I want lasagna or whatever. Waaaay way less salt and no preservatives--also bigger portions and easy on the budget.

Started popping my own popcorn in a microwave bowl and salting it myself instead of using the pre-packaged paper bags full of junk. I eat popcorn now more than potato chips. But I still eat potato chips and pretzels occasionally.

A lot of sauces like teriyaki and soy sauce come in low salt forms. Avoiding salty fast food also helps.

*Oh yeah, my sodium intake also dropped a ton when I stopped eating so much cheese. I was a cheese monster the way some people are cookie monsters.

Problem is all of this takes extra time to do. :(
  • dereknolde
    Options
    Soy sauce is my biggest problem. I love Asain foods of all types and Soy has a ton of sodium. My brother suggested Bragg's liquid amino's. Sounds weird, but has half the sodium of low sodium soy sauce and tastes almost exactly the same.

You can find it at whole food and health food stores
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Funny thing about Ranch Dressing is how much sugar is in it, too. I agree with recommendations to start making your own food as much as possible, including dressings. Start by cutting the sodium back by some set amount in recipes - say, use only half what the recipe calls for - and then adjust as needed. It takes some adjustment, and I don't always get a good balance in what I make, but more can always be added. Can't take out what's already there.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    It's a challenge, especially if you eat out often. When you go grocery shopping, buy staples (like tomato paste, peanut butter, soups, canned beans, ketchup, etc.) you might use in cooking at home that say NO SALT ADDED, or LOW SODIUM. Stay away from TV dinners, processed meats, snacks and sauces. I have had to make my own salad dressing, cocktail sauce, hummus and so on to cut down. Also, I don't add salt to my food like most people do when they eat potatoes, vegetables, or other low sodium type foods. You can friend me and look at my diary. Most days I am way below the amount MFP recommends.
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    This is very difficult! Sodium is in everything! I've learned to cook at home with fresh veggies and raw protien, such as chicken, fish or meat. If you purchase frozen or precooked chicken, fish or meat, the sodium is very high. If you prepare and cook all your food at home from scratch, you'll be surprised at how low your sodium intake will be.

It's true about processed foods, like Corylda said. I've always said....if it has a nutrition lable on it then it's probably high in sodium and/or calories.

I even learned how to make my own oatmeal bars with very low calories and low sodium. Try to find websites that has recipes for highblood pressure. They are usually very low in sodium and you'll learn how to make some great meals at home.
  • JennaK
    JennaK Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I also need some sort of sauce on my food. I just found a great way to have it and keep my sodium down!! I made home made tzatziki with non-fat greek style yogurt, lemon juice, cucumber and garlic!! nutrious and delicious!! The greek yogurt had barely any sodium at all and i could lather it on my food without the guilt!! yummmm!! :-D
  • bethinagain
    bethinagain Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Soy sauce is my biggest problem. I love Asain foods of all types and Soy has a ton of sodium. My brother suggested Bragg's liquid amino's. Sounds weird, but has half the sodium of low sodium soy sauce and tastes almost exactly the same.

You can find it at whole food and health food stores

That's a great tip! Thanks! I LOVE SUSHI
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I just posted yesterday asking about too low of sodium, ha ha. I am always in the 500-1000mg range. It's easy. When you shop at the grocery store. Look for food that is the least processed. My kids say "the way God made it." I'm teaching them to eat foods from their natural state, anything we do to them is done at home. Usually these foods are around the outter part of the grocery store; produce, dairy, meat. Very few items we buy are from the middle, in boxes and bags...just cereal and pasta, I can't make those by hand. (I do buy grain to mill my own flour, you don't have to be that extreme.) Also, I would grill my own meat and slice it thin for sandwhiches. If you slice it thin first it takes no time to cook really, and it's always better when the meat is hot. Anyway, just some ideas.