pre period weight gain

Options
Seriously it drives me nuts. . The week before my period o gain 5 to 7 pounds in like 3 days. .I'm bloated. .gassy ...I feel like a tank! My ankles and hands swell. .. Does this happen to edible l anyone else? I cut down on sodium. . Drink more water. . Idk. . It's just so. So discouraging. ..

Replies

• Ricktopsy
    Ricktopsy Posts: 3
    Options
    An old girlfriend of mine had the same problem.
    She started adding lemon to her water daily and had dramatic results.
    Something about it being a diuretic? I can't remember anymore.
  • kvansanity
    kvansanity Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I haven't had my period in a month or so, an I think it's about due because I'm CRAZY bloated and therefore pretty emotional. I did have an unhealthy weekend, but it wasn't anything unusual - kind of a normal weekend for someone not worried about their weight. Anyways, my weight recently is crazy. From morning to evening my weight will go up 6 pounds! I think it's because my period is coming because this has never happened before.

How early before your period does this start for you?
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It always reverts back, if it drives you nuts and you know when u are due stay off the scale. That's my best advise. I weigh daily and I go up around 4lbs at that tom. Also after heavy weights session, and high sodium days.
  • grazer432
    grazer432 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always have about 4lbs of TOM bloating, I just chug water and know that in a couple days it will be gone.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Ha im the complete opposite! I weigh my lightest a couple of days before my period, then during it I am Puffy McPufferson!
  • TheDarkestStar87
    TheDarkestStar87 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I dialogue on around 5lbs during TOM. I just die k lots of water and avoid the scale that week
  • jlvanderstoel
    Options
    Yep, fluid retention.

It is a natural phenomenon, don't worry, it will be gone a week later.
  • cmoncmonshake
    cmoncmonshake Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I gain around 4-5 pounds the week during my period, technically 3-4 days before getting it. Literally I went from 123 to 128 in the span of 48 hours and then reached "freak-out" mode, thinking I must have eaten too much in one day. It usually takes me around 1 week to go back to normal. Such a downfall for around a week though, because I'm unsure if my results are on track!
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Its different for everyone. I see my lowest weight of the month (new low) a few days before my cycle starts. Then the next 2 weeks I'm steady or up 1-2 pounds.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    An old girlfriend of mine had the same problem.
    She started adding lemon to her water daily and had dramatic results.
    Something about it being a diuretic? I can't remember anymore.

I think I might try this. Any idea how it would work?
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    I don't bloat a ton, but I can't lose weight for the week before and during my cycle. Then right after I'll drop about 2 pounds.
  • ReaganP13
    ReaganP13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow. I am so glad I found this thread. This was driving me crazy. AND, this might be TMI , but - even on my "normal" days my weight fluctuates about 5 pounds (lowest in the morning after a sweaty workout and a healthy poo, then the highest at night after a big dinner and chugging my 2 liters of water). BUT, with my period.... its just higher always, even my morning low is still higher than the normal days "high weight".

I know a lot of people believe in making your diet and your hormones align, but I honestly know zero about that. It does make me curious though.
  • Shaystays
    Shaystays Posts: 34
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! My weigh fluctuates a lot in general, and then at that time of the month, it goes off the scales. When I'm normally at 204lbs, on my period I can go up to 212lbs! It's crazy, and I have endometriosis so my periods are long, painful, and just plain awful. So the fluctuating weight doesn't help.
  • Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    This is the very reason I NEVER weigh the week before. In fact I usually see my best losses at the end of the week during my actual period.
    I think when you weigh the week before and you are up even if it is bloat and water it can stress you can cause you to retain more and wake up that stress hormone cortisol. If I just skip that week weighing and wait until then end of the next week it is always way worth it!!!!!!!
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    I'm due any day now and the past week I have been so hungry...salty, sweet, salty, sweet, then I feel bloated and gross and my food sensitivities make me feel awful. Add the emotional crap..I should be locked up! :)
    I agree skip weighing in the week before, it will only add to the emotional roller coaster.
  • ReaganP13
    ReaganP13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm an obsessive weigher - I weigh multiple times a day just for the thrill of knowing howing much I can sweat or poop out, haha.
  • MysteriousDreamer
    MysteriousDreamer Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I gain 1-3 kilos and it drives me crazy!!! It really takes my motivation away :(
  • cmazurek85
    cmazurek85 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself once a week or month, I would change the day(s) you get on the scale. without fail, I gain 5 - 7 pounds during period week. Since moving my weigh in day to 1 week after period week, I feel better (mentally) about seeing my number on the scale. Drinking lemon water may help you feel better, but it should be daily. It's already crappy enough having cramps, bloating, and general discomfort. there's no need to add getting on the scale to the list! good luck and hope you're feeling ok!
  • cathaea
    cathaea Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ha im the complete opposite! I weigh my lightest a couple of days before my period, then during it I am Puffy McPufferson!

I'm the same.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I CAN be diet related.
    Just eat more fruits and veg and drink more water.