Best HRM to track calories burned?

Options
swalberg0625
swalberg0625 Posts: 98 Member
Hi Everyone,

I am sure that anyone who has been a MFP for a period of time has seen/answered this question but I am just into my second week. Awhile back I purchased a bow flex HRM from Beachbody and was very disappointed. It tracks your heart rate, but not calories burned. I am looking for a high quality HRM to help track calories burned from my workouts so I can get accurate results. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    There is no "best," but you can't go wrong with a HR monitor from Polar (www.polarusa.com)
  • roanokejoe49
    Options
    It all depends on how much you want to spend. I use the FT4, and I couldn't be happier with it.
  • swalberg0625
    Options
    I know they will all track calories burned and there is not one that tracks better. And I am thinking I will go Polar, but I don't know where to start. There are different models. I am just wondering what other people are using that they really like before I make a purchase
  • swalberg0625
    Options
    It all depends on how much you want to spend. I use the FT4, and I couldn't be happier with it.

Price is not an issue. I am willing to spend more for quality and look at it as an investment.
  • deannc1
    deannc1 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just got a really cool one at Walmart for $29. It has day/date/time/calendar, heart rate, cals burned, exercise timer, personal profile and chronograph. Very easy to program too (thank goodness cause I'm tech challenged). :smile:
    They also had pretty expensive ones as well, but they all pretty much tracked the same stats.
  • baileyang33
    baileyang33 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and love it but I don't really know any better cause I've never used any other kind. I can tell you it has made a huge difference for me to reach my goals. It was the exact tool I was lacking. Good luck!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I use the FT4 as well and it works fine. Just remember, HRMs are just that. Heart Rate Monitors. They are not calorie burn trackers. Their calorie counts are estimations just like anything else, but they have the data point of your HR. Also remember that HRMs are ONLY designed to track calorie burns during steady state cardio activities. They will not track things like weight lifting, circuit training, gardening, etc accurately.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Price is not an issue. I am willing to spend more for quality and look at it as an investment.

HRMs are designed for steady state cardio - they will not accurately track strength training, Hiit, circuit training and the like. I have a Polar FT4 - it's great for my needs. There are more expensive Polars....but they may have bells & whistles you may or may not use. Example: if you workout in the gym, and workout next to other people that also have a HRM .....look for one (not FT 4) that doesn't pick up interference from other monitors.

Chest strap models .....don't consider a wrist only model....not accurate.
  • swalberg0625
    Options

HRMs are designed for steady state cardio - they will not accurately track strength training, Hiit, circuit training and the like. I have a Polar FT4 - it's great for my needs. There are more expensive Polars....but they may have bells & whistles you may or may not use. Example: if you workout in the gym, and workout next to other people that also have a HRM .....look for one (not FT 4) that doesn't pick up interference from other monitors.

Chest strap models .....don't consider a wrist only model....not accurate.

Thanks for the tips! I will definatley note those
  • roanokejoe49
    Options
    [/quote]

Then buy one based on the sports you use it for. You don't need to spend 350.00 on a high end Polar unless you want to be a competitive triathlete or something.
  • swalberg0625
    Options

Then buy one based on the sports you use it for. You don't need to spend 350.00 on a high end Polar unless you want to be a competitive triathlete or something.
    [/quote]

I was looking into the Polar FT4 vs FT7. I am not looking to spend a fortune. My intent was I am willing to spend somewhere around the $100 range for a good product/brand.
  • lealorali
    lealorali Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin Forerunner 110 but it's best for running. Sometimes calorie count is inconsistent but I cross check it here and on ShapeSense's calculator. It changed my life, no joke.
  • roanokejoe49
    Options
    Either one of those are great models. At this point, it's just about what features you want. You can't go wrong with either model.
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just don't take what any machine says as gospel. They can give you a rough estimate at best. There are just too many factors for a machine to be accurate. I'm not saying they are not useful, but if you are eating back calories you burn a good rule of thumb is to knock about 30% off what it says your calories burned were.
  • LynndaMaree
    LynndaMaree Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar Ft7. I am very pleased with it. It makes me work harder to burn more calories. Even if the calorie count isn't 100% accurate, it does make me work harder. I love it.
  • roanokejoe49
    Options
    I like my Garmin Forerunner 110 but it's best for running. Sometimes calorie count is inconsistent but I cross check it here and on ShapeSense's calculator.

Do you find the calorie thing on here to be accurate? I think it's total bollocks because it's based on formulas.

Also the nutrient values on this site stink. The calories this site says you consume are wayyyyy wrong.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I have a Zephyr chest strap which syncs with various apps on my phone. I'm taking my phone anyway to listen to music, and this way the apps state my HR and zone in my earbuds and I don't have to keep looking at anything or interrupt my stride to glance at my wrist. The apps like Runkeeper and iCardio also measure a bunch of stuff besides HR, like calories burned, distance, etc. and they sync with MFP.
  • swalberg0625
    Options
    Either one of those are great models. At this point, it's just about what features you want. You can't go wrong with either model.

Thanks for your input! :)
  • livinatthegym
    livinatthegym Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Do you find the calorie thing on here to be accurate? I think it's total bollocks because it's based on formulas.

[/quote]

No. I agree with you. As a rough estimate it can work, but any time a person takes a calorie count (intake or output) to literally they will get tripped up at some point.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I like my Garmin Forerunner 110 but it's best for running. Sometimes calorie count is inconsistent but I cross check it here and on ShapeSense's calculator.

Also the nutrient values on this site stink. The calories this site says you consume are wayyyyy wrong.

HRMs don't use anything but a formula as well. All calorie count calculators are estimations and use formulas do they not?