drinking water

Options
does anybody have any good ideas for drinking water?

Replies

• halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Well, this is really tricky, but if you master it, then you'll excel at water consumption:

1) Pour water from a tap or pitcher into a glass

2) Raise the glass to your lips

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART

3) Swallow the water! Do NOT try to inhale it!

Wait, this helps right?

Seriously, though, are you just looking for ways to make it more palatable? They make little flavor packets that you can put into a glass of water to make it taste better. I highly suggest learning to love the taste of water by itself, though. Trust me, after a few weeks without sugary drinks you won't mind it.
  • r_jen
    r_jen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I use Great Value drink mixes.... grape and cherry are my fav! :smile:
  • karikariboberry
    karikariboberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    tea, especially in the winter!
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Fresh lemon or lime works too.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I drink it from a sports bottle or reusable cup from a smoothie place. They both hold about 24oz, the equivalent of 3 glasses. Since they're both closed containers I can sip on it without worrying about dust or other things falling into it, they keep it cooler for longer since they're insulated, and because I don't feel like I have to drink a whole glass at once I find I just sip water all day long. It's not hard for me to drink three of them in a day, or four if I'm working out. I find the water tastes a little better too, I hate the way it tastes coming out of a glass!
  • Kate_2011
    Options
    Brita? maybe keep a chart in the kitchen to track of how much you drink?
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    If you're talking about remembering to do it, my system is a little wacky but it works for me. When I need to go to the bathroom I go and drink a glass of water first :smile: :drinker: I just can't wait til the last minute though :laugh: :laugh:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Chug chug chug

I would suggest plain water or with lemon. Once you add a drink mix, it is not technically just water anymore. You are adding other things that your body has to process.
  • melissa1977
    melissa1977 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a 24 ounce bottle that I fill up. If I've had 3 bottles, then I know I've gotten in my water. I don't use flavorings or anything like that. Just water. We have a filter on the water thing of our fridge, so that makes it taste better. You might find you like bottled water more than just straight from the tap.
  • tracharity
    tracharity Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thanks i didnt know how to drink water that was very useful has your mother or father ever told you if you aint got nothing good to say dont open your mouth well probadly not if you are on this site right thanks alot
  • tracharity
    tracharity Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bye the way the last comment was for halobender if anybody was wondering all the other post were good and thanks it is a problem for me drinking water all of a sudden so thank you very much
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    thanks i didnt know how to drink water that was very useful has your mother or father ever told you if you aint got nothing good to say dont open your mouth well probadly not if you are on this site right thanks alot

Touchy touchy...

Anyway, I just keep a 32 oz Camelbak bottle at my desk all day. I try and sip my way through 8 oz every hour...I don't drink it all at once or anything. By lunch time, I've had four glasses. Refill at lunch, and repeat till the end of the work day. By the time I get home, I've had between 8-9 glasses of water.

When I get home, I fill it up and just sip as needed. I'll finish off the bottle during my evening workout. Post workout, I fill it up again and drink till I go to bed. 12 - 16 oz's for the whole day. Been doing it since I started in early November.

The trick is to pace yourself.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Did your first grade teacher ever mention anything about grammar, run-on sentences or how to take a joke? The latter is probably the most important, as I don't really care about the first two, it's just easy to pick apart.

Furthermore, if you're going to start an asinine thread with the title "drinking water" and further go on to ask people for "any good ideas for drinking water" without any clarification whatsoever as to what you mean then I think you've got it coming to you.

Now, remember: sip, swallow, repeat.
  • mirahonthawall
    mirahonthawall Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    i was always in the habit of drinking while i eat (some people wait until after they're done eating), so i can go through tons of water during a meal.

i also drink a variety of herbal teas.

my strategy when drinking glasses of water is when i fill it up i chug as much as i can then top it off. when that glass is done, i immediately repeat.
  • hummzz
    hummzz Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Straws can help you consume more at a faster pace if drinking it regularly becomes a problem. I have never had a problem with water. It is my main drink even before my weight loss program. Thank God for that!
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Straws can help you consume more at a faster pace if drinking it regularly becomes a problem. I have never had a problem with water. It is my main drink even before my weight loss program. Thank God for that!

I agree! Drinking water with a straw helps me drink it faster, so I can drink more.
  • mrsewert
    mrsewert Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Well, this is really tricky, but if you master it, then you'll excel at water consumption:

1) Pour water from a tap or pitcher into a glass

2) Raise the glass to your lips

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART

3) Swallow the water! Do NOT try to inhale it!

That is freakin hilarious! :laugh:
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't mind the taste of water, but sometimes I simply forget to drink. What has helped me lately (at my desk job) is to ALWAYS have a glass or two at my desk. I've been noting it with a dot on my desktop calendar every time I empty the glass so I add up little dots to make sure I'm reaching my goals. This seems simple enough, since I just reach over with my pen and dab my calendar, but I've found it's easier than logging into MFP each time and it helps me to keep track of my daily/weekly/monthly water intake without having to look at extensive charts.

What also helps me is to have a glass of regular or cold water and/or a coffee mug of warm water when I'm cold. Herbal tea or a slice of lemon is good to add to warm water to give it a little flavor. You can also try the drink mixes, but I'm a fan of drinking pure water.