Water - Stupid question!!

Options
2»

Replies

• stephbeland8
    stephbeland8 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ha ha!! Some thread for a "stupid question".... :) Water is good for u, on so many levels! Just drink it!

"The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day."
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to track down tons of resources but the water for weight loss myth has been thoroughly debunked, and yet it lives on...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/03/140312132315.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fhealth_medicine%2Fdiet_and_weight_loss+%28Diet+and+Weight+Loss+News+--+ScienceDaily%29

(Sorry, can't get the link to work properly. :grumble: )
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    There is no magic benefit to water.

I have never participated in a water argument thread before. But, I've always wondered what the 'truth' behind the myth was. Hundreds of times a day, one MFP tells another MFP to 'drink more water...' 'it facilitates weight loss,' etc....

I drink water when I do cardio, because I get thirsty. I eat fruit with my oatmeal, ( made with water ) and a huge salad at lunch. I often don't really drink any other liquids during the day. If I do, I have to p*ss alot, which is rather inconvenient.

So, should I be drinking more water? And, if so, why?
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options

From the article I attempted to link above:

Drinking a lot of water is often advised to those who are trying to lose weight, but a nutrition expert at the University of Alabama at Birmingham says it is not the magic bullet to weight loss.

"There is very little evidence that drinking water promotes weight loss; it is one of those self-perpetuating myths," said Beth Kitchin, Ph.D., R.D., assistant professor of nutrition sciences. "I'm not saying drinking water isn't good; but only one study showed people who drank more water burned a few extra calories, and it was only a couple of extra calories a day."

Kitchin says another water myth is the consumption rule: eight 8-ounce glasses of water per day.

"Yes, people do need to get fluids; but it does not have to be water," Kitchin said. "There's no evidence that it melts away fat or makes you feel fuller, so if you don't like water it's OK."
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    OK this may seem like a stupid question, but when MFP says drink at least 8 cups of water - how big are these cups (preferably in ml)?

http://bit.ly/RanQs5
  • sccet
    sccet Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    There is no magic benefit to water.

I have never participated in a water argument thread before. But, I've always wondered what the 'truth' behind the myth was. Hundreds of times a day, one MFP tells another MFP to 'drink more water...' 'it facilitates weight loss,' etc....

I drink water when I do cardio, because I get thirsty. I eat fruit with my oatmeal, ( made with water ) and a huge salad at lunch. I often don't really drink any other liquids during the day. If I do, I have to p*ss alot, which is rather inconvenient.

Do what works for you. I subscribe to the body weight /2 in ounces per day method. I also "drink back" estimated ounces of sweat lost via exercise. My experience is that my skin looks better, I feel better, and I have not been getting sick as often as usual. YRMV.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Water is pretty much water.

Right, which is why the water in any liquid counts. As long as you get enough liquid to be hydrated it doesn't matter.

I probably shouldn't reply and I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but I do honestly believe that the intention behind drinking 64 oz of water a day is for more than hydration. Obviously any liquid will keep us hydrated. Drinking more water when eating at a deficit seems to have weight loss benefits from what I can tell. Like I said, many discussions and disagreements all over the web regarding this.

If you aren't trying to be antagonistic maybe stop correcting everyone who disagrees with your opinion about what MFP intends. ...

LOL. Well you got me there, although I wasn't really correcting her, just voicing my opinion (again). I think discussion is okay.

So using your method of tea being water, do you enter your cup of tea in the water category then enter the tea bag in the food category? I always enter black tea brewed which is 2 calories but I don't enter the same cup of water used to make the tea in the water tracking area. Never thought of doing it that way. Coffee is entered two places also using your method? What other liquids?