Anxiety and Eating Disorders

Options
Are there any of you out there that have extreme anxiety and an eating disorder that take medication? I'm currently on two different medications and they just don't seem t help with my anxiety OR the eating disorder. The OCD isn't under control, either.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Okay... I have none of those conditions, but it stands to reason that if your medication isn't helping with any of your symptoms, then you should talk to your doctor about trying something else.
  • LEDrain
    LEDrain Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi! I take medicine for my anxiety/depression & eating disorder. :) I was on two, but am now just on one. Mine seem to help, but in the beginning they seemed to not work. It took time & some experimentation by my doctor to find the right combo. I've been taking them for a while now, though. How long have you been on yours?
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    You mentioned that you are on medication; are you involved with a counseling program (outpatient)? The medication helps the brain with regards to chemical imbalance. However seeing a therapist is recommended so you can learn how to cope with the emotional triggers that set off your OCD/anxiety disorder when they manifest.
  • cewilli3
    cewilli3 Posts: 2
    Options
    I've been on Prozac (varying doses) for anxiety, depression, and eating disorder since I was in 7th grade (I'm 25 now) and it has CHANGED my life. I do seem to have minor relapses at times, but talking to a counselor always seems to help. Counseling/therapy and medication are always a good combination rather than each one independently. Hope this helps!!:happy:
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm on Effexor and, though I have heard bad things about it, they are working miracles for my anxiety. As for the eating disorder, I find that once my anxiety was under control, everything else just seemed to fall into place as well. Everyone is different and react differently to medications, so you may have to try a few different ones until you find the one that works for your issues. Also, sometimes medications aren't enough, i would seek counseling as well if you find that is the case. Good luck!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Please see a counselor/therapist and discuss your meds if you aren't already. They're much more well versed at this than your primary care physician, imo.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Please see a counselor/therapist and discuss your meds if you aren't already. They're much more well versed at this than your primary care physician, imo.

QFT. Your PCP is most likely following a textbook overview which clearly isn't working for you. Like odusgolp wrote, a counselor will be much better versed in in-depth solutions, as well as variations on treatment options that will work for you. Best of luck to you.
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i really feel for you regarding OCD. it is a total nightmare. even more of a nightmare as people believe it is a word to describe a cute quirk. OCD can cripple you entirely and i know this first hand.

i was on prozac and worked to combat some of the surface issues, but after working very closely with a therapist for the past two years, i am off medication. if you are not in therapy, i urge you to consider it. therapy has 100% changed my life. take the time to find one that works - it is worth it. finding the right mental health advocate is much like finding love - sometimes it just clicks and it works.

stay strong, you are never alone.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i'm just going to throw this out there. I know it's cooky, and all, but... how about talking to a physician and not anonymous internet people things. I mean, Jesus... I have my child drawn like Wolverine as my avatar. How could you take me seriously?
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

QFT. Your PCP is most likely following a textbook overview which clearly isn't working for you. Like odusgolp wrote, a counselor will be much better versed in in-depth solutions, as well as variations on treatment options that will work for you. Best of luck to you.

Or a psychopharmocologist. They can fine-tune your meds better than anyone else can.
  • Joseph236
    Joseph236 Posts: 11
    Options
    I dont have anxiety disorder but sometimes i suffer from eating disorder should i discuss this problem with my doctor?
  • princessG12
    princessG12 Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi there, i don't have that anxiety disorder but maybe i know what can help you, kindly watch this video www.bit.ly/1iVzT3a and this will really help you about your problem right now. good luck and take care
  • MargaretSobers
    MargaretSobers Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For eating disorder, there should be perfect treatment because every ones body reacts differently. Eating disorder includes nutritional therapy. Eating disorder results overweight and obesity problem. There are too many solutions for eating disorder you have to find the perfect one. Consult to your doctor before taking any drug then you can decide if the medication is right for you or not.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    See a doctor or therapist and have them work with you. Cognitive behavioral therapy is a very effective supplement to your medications - particularly for anxiety and OCD. The drugs don't work on their own, they just help make it easier for the other therapies to work.

Good luck.