affects of testosterone on female weight loss?

Options
Due to reasons I don't feel like disclosing, I take 3CCs of testosterone weekly. I'm wondering if it will negatively affect my weight loss.

Replies

• snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Given what I've read, I don't think it would negatively effect your weight loss at all :)
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    Without knowing the reason you're taking it, it's hard to say... If it's to treat a deficiency or androgen disorder, probably not, but if you're taking it for body building or energy conversion, you should be aware that increased testosterone levels can in turn increase the estrogen production because your body is going to seek a certain equilibrium, and increased estrogen is proven to impact weight loss in women.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm using it for hormone replacement therapy. My ovaries have shut down completely at this point, so I don't think there's a lot of estrogen production...
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I too am taking testosterone (at female levels) for hrt ...if anything I think it helps me by increasing/maintaining lean muscle and thus making me lose fat easier (almost as easy as a guy!:wink: ). I can't say for sure because I just added on cytomel to synthroid for hypothyroid also. But definitely doesn't decrease weight loss!
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    I'm using it for hormone replacement therapy. My ovaries have shut down completely at this point, so I don't think there's a lot of estrogen production...

I'm a little late here, I just wanted to say that I appreciate the fact that you were willing to be candid like this, as I know that you were hesitant during your post. I hope you didn't feel pressured in anyway.

I tend to respond in ways to give OP response as well as info to others that come to the thread seeking information. Androgen therapy is a tricky thing, and I assume you're having your levels regularly checked, so if the trend continues, maybe present the concern to your care provider at your next visit. They may have some suggestions as to how best to unlock the potential of HRT.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    There should be negligible affects from testosterone on weight loss. In fact, it is more likely to aid it.

I suggest you go ahead and lift weights while you are trying to lose weight. Take advantage of the hormone!

If you do find you are gaining weight in FAT while in a calorie deficit, then you should go ahead and consult your physician as it could be a sign that hormone levels are not adequate.

Good luck!