Any healthy quiche recipes?

Options
karamae
karamae Posts: 136 Member
I'm craving egg and spinach quiche. Does anyone have a healthier recipe they want to share? It's greatly appreciated as I've never made it before! :)

Replies

• rawdefault
    Options
    I actually posted one on my blog not long ago! It's healthier and lower in cals than quiche as it doesn't have a crust (and you needn't oil the dish either).

Ingredients:
    - 3 or 4 eggs
    - 1/2 cup low-fat milk/soy milk
    - 2 Tbls flour (I’m sure it can be plain or self-raising, although I used plain - also optional)
    - Any vegetables you have on hand. Maybe 2 cups? Guesstimate, mate.
    - Salt & pepper to taste
    - 1/2 cup low-fat cheese (optional, but tasty.)

Method:
    - Pre-heat the oven to 200°C (390F)
    - Find a large bowl that’s oven safe, and mix together the eggs and milk
    - Mix in the flour, salt and pepper.
    - Add the veggies.
    - Add the cheese. I just sprinkled it over the top then pushed it down slightly so the egg mix covered it a bit, but you could mix it through if you wanted. Do whatever you like, it’s going to taste magnificent anyway!
    - Cook for about 30-35 mins until the top is a light brown.
    - Enjoy your new discovery!

There was my recipe and my boyfriends version included in the method of the original post (found here http://skinnyminnie11.wordpress.com/2010/12/06/healthy-vegetable-pie-recipe/)
  • karamae
    Options
    Thank you so much! I'll give it a try today! :)
  • Jlln_G1011
    Jlln_G1011 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here's a weight watcher's quiche recipe i always fall back on - it's the best one i've found, you can adjust the veggies to whatever you like:

Broccoli and Cheddar Quiche

Ingredients:
    6 oz pie crust, 9-inch, refrigerated
    2 tsp olive oil
    1/2 cup(s) red onion(s), chopped
    1 1/4 cup(s) part-skim ricotta cheese
    1 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
    1 large egg(s)
    2 large egg white(s)
    1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp table salt, or more to taste
    1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or more to taste
    10 oz frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and well-drained
    1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
    Preheat oven to 375ºF. Press pie crust into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch, removable-bottom tart pan or a 9-inch pie pan; refrigerate until ready to use.

To make filling, heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Transfer onion to a large bowl and add ricotta cheese, cheddar cheese, egg, egg whites, mustard, oregano, salt and pepper; mix well and fold in broccoli. Spoon mixture into prepared crust and level surface with a wooden spoon; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake until a knife inserted near center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing into 8 pieces. Yields 1 piece per serving.
  • shonuh
    shonuh Posts: 3
    Options
    I actually made a healthy spinach quiche for breakfast on christmas morning.

1 container of Egg Beaters Cheese+Chive egg whites
    1 pkg frozen spinach (thawed)
    1/2 cup of fat-free cheese of your choice (I used one with garlic and herbs)

It's difficult to explain the crust exactly because I didn't measure, I just did what felt right but I'll try approximates...
    1/4 cup steel-cut oats (or any oats)
    1/4 cup wheat bran
    1/2 cup whole wheat flour
    1 tbsp non-homo margarine
    3 tbsp canola oil (or any oil)
    garlic & onion powder to taste

If you mix these ingredients together it should be crumbly but will press into a pan and hold its form. Then combine the egg whites, cheese and spinach in a food processor or blender until well mixed and pour into the pan. I baked it in the oven at 375F until a knife came out clean which took probably about 45 minutes.

Hope this helps!
  • mobymarsh
    mobymarsh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    my slimming world quiche also has no crust and is made with eggs, cottage cheese, and add what ever filling you want i make salmon and broccoli quiche bake in a dish in the oven untill firm yum
  • karamae
    Options
    Yummy! Thanks all...I'll have to try all of these!
  • zerafa
    zerafa Posts: 12
    Options
    MEDITERANEAN QUICHE (Serves 4) 318 calories per portion

This is a quick quiche using store cupboard ingrediants found in most supermarkets, and is cooked at 200C for 30 mins.

1 small savoury ready cooked pastry case 7" or 8" dia.
    1 tablespoon of tomato puree.
    1 chopped spring onion
    1 oz of low fat grated cheddar
    2 beaten eggs
    1 tablespoon of light single cream
    4 sundried tomatoes (from a jar) drained
    3 pieces of red pepper in brine (from a jar) drained
    1 tablespoon of capers (from a jar) drained
    A pinch of dried herbs
    Salt and pepper

Spread the tomato puree over the bottom of the pastry case with the back of a spoon and sprinkle over the chopped spring onion and grated cheese.
    Chop the sundried tomatoes and peppers into bite size pieces and arrange on top of the cheese.
    Sprinkle the capers on top.
    Whisk together the eggs, cream salt and pepper and herbs and pour over the rest of the ingredients.
    Place in a hot oven 200C for 30 minutes or until the eggs are set. Serve hot or cold with salad.

Alternatively, leave out the grated cheese and put pieces of goats cheese on top before pouring over the eggs.