Squats + Lunges for a beginner?

Options
Hi guys... Basically I have lost loads of weight and im left with a bit of a boyish figures, very very slim legs and no booty or hips.

I currently do classes like body pump that does a bit of weight on squats but im sure that won't do much for increasing my muscle size much in those areas right?

I was wondering what you guys would recommend me doing every week or twice a week to increase the size of my hips/bum? Squats and lunges right? What weight should I start at and can someone explain to me the rep process I should do because i really don't understand how many reps or sets i should be doing and how much I should be increasing the weight by every week.

I'm 5'2 and currently weigh 106-110lbs. (48-50kg)

In my body pump class I currently do 12.5kg (around 27lbs) for the squat/lunge track but im sure im capable of more but because there are so many reps in the class i only do that many....

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Squats, lunges and deadlifts are a great start.

Use a weight that is comfortable for you, the heavier the better. You don't need to do a gazillion reps to get good results. Proper form is also important.
  • kamsbryant
    kamsbryant Posts: 10
    Options
    what weight would you suggest me starting at then? and how many reps or sets should i do cos i literally don't know and if i don't plan a certain amount I will probably give up as soon as it hurts a bit hahaha
  • girlr94
    girlr94 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much started too and I do 7kg dumbbell squats and lunges (3 sets of 8-12 reps) and 55kg deadlifts. Although I started at 5kg squats/lunges and 40kg deadlifts a couple of weeks ago. But just remember that technique is important to get right before you even think about lifting heavier stuff (with deadlifts definitely get technique perfect with the 20kg bar first). I could go up to 60 in deadlifts but then my technique would be all over the place! But everyone has different levels of natural strength so just start with a certain weight and see if it feels right for you. It doesn't matter if you need to go up or down in weight because it's your own personal progress rather than competition with anyone else. And remember to really sit into those squats and lunges!
  • teamesteve
    teamesteve Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would start lighter than you think for those exercises. You need to make sure you have good form at the start because once you start going up in weight, bad form can really do more damage than good. I know it sounds slow, but if you're doing barbell weight work, just start with the bar (usually about 25 lbs.). With dumbbells, start with 10 or 15 per dumbbell. Then every week, add 5 lbs. to the weight. Do this as long as you're able to do 5 sets of 5 reps. each. If you stall on a weight, keep at it until you can do 5 sets of 5 reps then move up.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    what weight would you suggest me starting at then? and how many reps or sets should i do cos i literally don't know and if i don't plan a certain amount I will probably give up as soon as it hurts a bit hahaha

I myself do 3 sets of 10 reps, or you can do the 5 x 5 like others have suggested. I myself started with 20 lb dumbells in the beginning. Start with a set weight that is comfortable for you but yet challenging, and gradually you can increase your weight from there. It all depends on each person. What what person finds heavy another might not. Don't start too heavy too quick or you can really hurt yourself. Proper form is very important.
  • k1431
    k1431 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Great question OP! I'm starting out too & wondering the same thing.... Also, how should a person go about learning the correct form? Did those of you who have achieved this use a personal trainer? Thanks in advance for the info.
  • girlr94
    girlr94 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Find a friend! Seriously it's the best way. I go with my boyfriend and his flatmate (who is a girl) about 3 times a week. It's better for rest periods because you can rest whilst the other person/ people go but you don't have to feel protective over the barbell whilst your recover between sets and they can help you with form as well as the all important 'spotting'! It's more fun as well, as long as you lift at your own pace of weights and not even attempt to compete with each other.

If you can't find any friends who lift to teach you then the gym staff are always very good at teaching you proper form.
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

Start with your own bodyweight to get use to the movement and proper form. Like other people have mentioned, then move onto an Empty bar (oly bars are normally 45lbs). With each workout, try adding weight. So something like a 5x5 progressive program for strength (Stronglifts, SS, ICF, ect...)

For bodyweight exercises, you can start with:

Squats (many variations)
    Lunges, walking lunges
    Bridges (also 1 leg)
    Good mornings
    Bulgarian squat
    Box Jumps
    etc....

Adding barbell or DB:

Squats
    deadlifts
    weighted lunges
    Thrusters
    weighted good mornings
    etc...
  • bikerclaire
    Options
    I found this when I was looking for info the other day - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/14/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/
    Especially this bit:
    •Reps in the 1-5 range build super dense muscle and strength.
    •Reps in the 6-12 range build a somewhat equal amounts of muscular strength and muscular endurance.
    •Reps in the 12+ range build muscular endurance and size