When I exercise I don't lose any weight at all HELP!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have been working hard and haven't lost a pound yet. I was not going to exercise this week to see what happens again but I feel guilty cause I actually enjoy it. I started out weighing 178 and now 166. But the only way I got to this point is when I did not exercise for a week. HELP!!!!!!!
    Hello im new to this so not sure if I'm commenting in the right area. But it seems as if I do not lose weight when I exercise. When im not exercising I drop up to 6 lbs in a week. I have been dieting for over 2 months and I started with Weight Watchers but found you guess and it still has been the same result. Im currently doing 30 day slimdown by Jillian Michaels. And 2 to 3 times a week I do Hip Hop Abs. Before that I was doing treadmill. Please help. My diary is open to ALL suggestions. I also read I could be doing the wrong workouts that are too intense cause my HR to climb out of the fat burning mode for weight loss please respond.

1.) weight loss does not come from exercise.
    2.) Weigh loss comes from a calorie deficit.
    3.) Exercise can HELP with a calorie deficit if you are monitoring what you are eating to help facilitate a deficit.
    4.) Exercise helps maintain muscle mass so you aren't losing fat AND muscle.
    5.) Exercise facilitates water retention- which manifests itself in size/weight "gain" or none loss. this is not muscle mass you have built- just water retention from your body reacting to micro-tears.
    6.) Anything worth doing takes time and energy- and commitment. And time? did I mention time?
    7.) Slim down and hip hop abs are cardio
    8) Highly recommend doing a weight training program
    I find that cardio is only good for the heart, 20 minutes 3x a week. I believe that cardio burns too much muscle away! Instead, weight train instead 5x a week, take a protein shake, eat more fiber and protein rich foods, eat your vegies, and drink 8 glasses of water a day. If you want tips on how to weight train, whether to tone, build lean muscle, or build large muscle, message me or add me. I'm experienced in this area and would be glad to help in any way. ;)

I'm not sure I would follow this persons advice- lean muscle isn't a thing- and large muscles only come from bulking and eating a calorie surplus. also you don't need to weight train 5 days a week. And cardio doesn't burn muscle. So I would proceed with caution on the "befriending thing"
    Well do that. And while your at it find the time in your busy schedule to learn how to ask a proper question. Your seem to be so busy you should have been able to answer it yourself then. Go ahead continue to comment how you would like but expect no reply. I have spent enough negative energy on you already.

unbunch your panties.

we are trying to help- and we need to have a clear idea of what's going on. In order to help- we need a clear picture of what's going on- which means we have to ask questions and under stand. Relax. all is well in the world.
  • cherylrb00
    cherylrb00 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am calm. I just didnt see what me having a job had to do with me working out 5 to 6 times a week. Now when he explained why he asked that made more sense than the first question. Come straight out with the real question. Thats all im saying. Didnt know you had to have a certain job to work out 5 to 6 times a day. Its ok all is well. Thx
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Very simple answer to all of this. I took a look at your diary and you are not weighing all over your food. You are eating more than you think.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You better watch out. Look what happened the last time she *thought* someone was accusing her of lying O_o
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    Don't pay him any mind im open to positive feedback. Please tell me what you are see because I thought I was.
  • krysannboggs
    krysannboggs Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Slk_555th everything u have said is so true. To all, yes I measure my food with measuring cups and I have a food scale. I also had the same problem with Jillian but I loved it. I was on day 15 and noticed changes in clothes but sanity wise my mind is still telling me what im doing is correct. On my profile I picked sedentary because I have a sitting job. But I workout 5 to 6 times a day and at the minimum 3 to 4 times a week( and the minimum only happen maybe once in a month) should I change this to moderate which would require me to eat more. All of the comments are quite confusing because its like a boxing match between the answers and when u get to the very last answer u still have no clue. Im very thankful but dont know the direction to take. I eat everything I logged even the gum I chew.

You say you workout 5-6 times a day. I am curious, how long are your workouts, and what do you do during them? Because if you're seriously working out 3-6 hours a day, you should probably be eating a TON more protein and calories in general.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    our stats look very similar including amount of exercise and i eat more than you do and lose quite consistently so i would say figure out your tdee and go with that number less about 10-15% and eat that amount.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Don't pay him any mind im open to positive feedback. Please tell me what you are see because I thought I was.

Great, cuz I'm not trying to criticize, I'm trying to help you figure out what's wrong. So be honest - do you actually use your food scale for everything? These are just some things that stuck out from yesterday's diary that don't look weighed out.

Quaker - Quaker Original Life Cereal, 3/4 cup
    Albertsons - Hamburger Bun, 1 Bun
    Artic Zero / Corrected - Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream, 1/2 cup
    Walmart - Tilapia Filet, 1 oz. (seriously - you ate exactly 1.0 ounce of tilapia? That's like one bite.)
    Michigan - Golden Delicious Apple (Total Cal), 1 large apple

ETA: And you stated earlier that you used measuring cups. Those should only be used for fluids. Everything else should be weighed out in ounces or grams. Otherwise you can underestimate your portions, which is what I think you are doing.

Thoughts?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    and while we are be clear.

Explain your work out process in detail for us again- there seems to be confusion- 5-6 times A DAY- or 5-6 times A WEEK?

and how would you describe the sessions
    cardio x %
    weight x%
    light- moderate-intense?
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    I got nothin'..........
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    Thanks for this. But before I start I want to make a correction on one of my comments. Workout is 5 to 6 times a week bot day and one_fit_cooki thanks for bringing this to my attention without the sarcasm I really appreciate it. Ok yes im being very honest. But maybe its an error in my knowledge. Ok let's start: life cereal I eat dry no milk. Kind of as a snack so I never eat much but I weigh it as grams as stated on cereal box. Albertson 1bun meaning the whole bun top and bottom ? Artic zero is sugar free ice cream and the whole pint is supposed to be 150 cal total but as serving size states a half a cup is only 36 cal. I only ate 1 oz of tilapia because that was all I had left from what I cooked on previous day but had to log it cause I ate( trying to be accurate and log everything) . And for the apple that is whats on the bag for its nutritional facts. Also I may use the measuring cups for the frozen vegetables because on the bag it may say 1 cup or a half a cup.

Also I just did my BMI & TREE and it states im eating far to less. Any thoughts on this?
    I'm 36 yr old
    height 5'6
    165lbs
    In a months time I workout 5 to 6 times a week for 3 weeks and 4th week 3 to 4 times.
    Help!!!
    Thanks
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    Correction a week. Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    I stand corrected - it sounds like you are doing a pretty good job at weighing all your food. I do agree that you are eating way too little. But even if you are eating 1200 calories you still should be losing (in fact you should be losing too much weight too quickly). Weird. Do you have any medical issues? Thyroid problem? PCOS?
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    Thanks can I view your diary for reference? It just seems like I will be super stuffed eating more cal. But when I did me stats it did suggest more food.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    Thanks can I view your diary for reference? It just seems like I will be super stuffed eating more cal. But when I did me stats it did suggest more food.

Sure my diary is open - just check out my profile. Be warned - I'm bulking right now, so I'm eating 2600 calories +.

How long have you been working out and have not seen a weight loss again? How many weeks?
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    Not that I know of but thyroidism runs in my family but I was checked 6 months ago during my pregnancy at it said I was fine. I guess I will see if eating more helps some. So confused. Thanks you're so cool!!!
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    A little over 2 months but just recently started logging due to this issue but nothing has changed from what I was doing earlier. I lost 1LB today.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    A little over 2 months but just recently started logging due to this issue but nothing has changed from what I was doing earlier. I lost 1LB today.

Well there you go. Keep up with the logging - it works. But you can probably get away with eating more. Figure out your TDEE or change your setting from "sedentary" in MFP and log/eat back your exercise calories. You'll be fine.

And read these:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here?hl=so+you%27re+new+here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • cherylrb00
    Options
    Will thanks to all!!
  • Lxgogo
    Lxgogo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure, as you could have multiple contributing factors, but I read an news article (you can't always trust everything you read tho) about how getting less than 7 hours of sleep a night can throw off your hormones. Basing off that knowledge, i would think that if you are not getting enough sleep it could be affecting your metabolic rate by screwing with your hormones. I mention it because, maybe it would be worth further researching or possibly someone on here has better knowledge and can give their 2 cents. I don't think I read where anyone mentioned this already (if they did...I apologize because I missed it). And maybe no one mentioned it because it very well could be BS.