Foam roller help!

Options
So I just went to ****'s sporting foods and after rolling around like an idiot on the ground, I decided on a Rumble Roller. I tested out all the other foam rollers and although the RR was the most painful, it loosened the most knots out of all of them. I paid $70 (I got the larger size, the smaller one was $60 and most of the standard rollers ranged from $30-50). Has anyone else used the RR long term? What were your results? Is it safe to use this every day? Any other rollers you recommend?

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I foam roll for at least 30 minutes a day. I don't see why it wouldn't be safe.
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I just got a $20 one from Wal-mart, but I love it. I've only been doing it for the last week or so but it's made a huge difference in recovery time.
  • steephx0x
    steephx0x Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    So I just went to ****'s sporting foods and after rolling around like an idiot on the ground, I decided on a Rumble Roller. I tested out all the other foam rollers and although the RR was the most painful, it loosened the most knots out of all of them. I paid $70 (I got the larger size, the smaller one was $60 and most of the standard rollers ranged from $30-50). Has anyone else used the RR long term? What were your results? Is it safe to use this every day? Any other rollers you recommend?

Really? It censors the name of a sporting goods store?! (I ment goods in the first post, not food. Stupid auto correct.) but I think you all know what store I'm speaking of
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have a very expensive roller and you tubed a few videos... I still look like an idiot rolling. Lol. I do yoga... Is that a substitute?
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I got one for free but never learned to enjoy the benefit...
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I need to do some more research on how to effectively use it. It feels like it's more of a workout than a massage! My husband said the other day when I was doing my hips "are you almost done humping that thing?" It cracked me up but it's kind of true. It looks like you are doing something naughty on the floor. I have nothing of any substance to add to this thread :laugh:
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I need to do some more research on how to effectively use it. It feels like it's more of a workout than a massage! My husband said the other day when I was doing my hips "are you almost done humping that thing?" It cracked me up but it's kind of true. It looks like you are doing something naughty on the floor. I have nothing of any substance to add to this thread :laugh:

LOL, that's how I feel at the gym when I use the roller on my quads :bigsmile:
    But to me it has improved my recovery significantly, and it's just a great feeling to give your muscles that extra treatment after a good weight lifting session.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    It's basically just a deep tissue massage. Good to roll before your workout but I've read that you shouldn't roll straight after if the muscles are really sore or bruised. Best thing is just to youtube foam rolling and the specific body part you want to roll. Calves, quads, IT band, inner thigh (groin), glutes, back, hammies, hips are all good ones

I've also read that you should only massage towards your heart when you are going really deep. If going deep slower is better

I use a normal foam roller mostly and also have a ball to use on my glutes, feet and back