The calories burned counter on here looks overly optimistic

Options

Replies

• motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    900 calories for 2+ hours of exercise seems fairly reasonable to be. If it's big, it's not crazy high

1500 non exercise TDEE for a woman does not seem reasonable to me unless you're in a coma for 75% of the day

Yep.
    I have the same stats and my TDEE is around 2100.

By the way, MFP's estimates for walking and running are quite accurate if you enter time and distance (you don't really need an HRM for that, there are tons of free smartphone apps), and HRMs won't be accurate for circuit training because it's not steady state cardio.
    If you're doing circuit training consistently, you'd better switch to TDEE method or proceed by trial and error (i.e: start with eating 90% of the exercise calories and readjust if needed. Are you losing weight at the expected rate? Great! Keep going! Is your loss slower than expected? Eat 75% of exercise calories. Rinse and repeat.).

Sounds good to me - working so far :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As long as you are accurate with your calories (weighing portions) AND realistic about the effort expended, you should be able to eat back the caloires - I have eaten back my calories and lost 42lb with no trouble at all.

But you MUST weigh everything, and you must be realistic about effort - have you really walked briskly, or are you worn out and sweaty because you are out of condition? was it vigourous aerobics or was it your first ever class?:tongue:
  • kerrianne86
    kerrianne86 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I generally do 30 minutes on my exercise bike a day, using one of the more challenging settings. The calories burned are almost exactly the same on the display, as when I log '30 minutes stationary bike, vigorous effort' on MFP.

Mind you, if in doubt, I wouldn't rely on those extra calories...
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Well I have a Polar monitor and myfitnesspal says I burn on average 50 calories more than I should be :S

Than you should be?

You might have to explain, because that doesn't even make sense?

Or you are assuming the Polar is accurate because .... ?

And 50 calories more with 2 hrs, or 2 minutes of workout time?

This in itself is an interesting debate...... I wear my Polar HRM when i'm out running or at the gym. I also take the phone out for cardio running and track with runkeeper.

EVERYTHING reports a massively inflated calorie burn for me compared to the Polar HRM.

For example - a 5km run with my polar reports around 400 calories. MFP / Runkeeper etc reports closer to 750.

Now .... I'm quite a big guy .... 225lbs (down from 281) and 180cm tall. All of these apps know my age (42), height and weight .... but only the HRM takes account of my usual resting heart rate.

Despite my size, I run a lot ...... 4-5 times per week and my resting HR is 59bpm. My cardio fitness is therefore (I guess) better than the average 225lbs 180cm 42 year old male.

For me therefore, I take the Polar as being the likely most accurate...... heck, I've even sat in my armchair for an hour wearing it to see the reported calorie burn at rest (90kcals). If I multiply that "sitting on my butt time" by 24 hours, ir indicates a 2160kcals per day.

Now - if I'm running for an hour, I'll just subtract 90 of the reported calories from what the HRM shows (since I'd have burned 90 anyway by doing nothing) ... and will just record the "additional benefit" from the workout.....
  • BigTireFlipper
    BigTireFlipper Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Can you please stop talking about endomorphs I don't beleive in that stuff and don't even know what it means anyways and won't read to find out. If you describe it here I won't bother either but will just exit the thread.

I think you need a bowl of ice cream because I don't think you realize just how petulant that sounded. Is this your normal demeanor or are you having a bad day?
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Can you please stop talking about endomorphs I don't beleive in that stuff and don't even know what it means anyways and won't read to find out. If you describe it here I won't bother either but will just exit the thread.

I think you need a bowl of ice cream because I don't think you realize just how petulant that sounded. Is this your normal demeanor or are you having a bad day?

Probably will only make sense to those in the UK "around a certain age" ..... but this was always the best morph....

Bring-Back-Morph-and-Chas.jpg
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Well I have a Polar monitor and myfitnesspal says I burn on average 50 calories more than I should be :S

Than you should be?

This in itself is an interesting debate...... I wear my Polar HRM when i'm out running or at the gym. I also take the phone out for cardio running and track with runkeeper.

EVERYTHING reports a massively inflated calorie burn for me compared to the Polar HRM.

For example - a 5km run with my polar reports around 400 calories. MFP / Runkeeper etc reports closer to 750.

Now .... I'm quite a big guy .... 225lbs (down from 281) and 180cm tall. All of these apps know my age (42), height and weight .... but only the HRM takes account of my usual resting heart rate.

Despite my size, I run a lot ...... 4-5 times per week and my resting HR is 59bpm. My cardio fitness is therefore (I guess) better than the average 225lbs 180cm 42 year old male.

For me therefore, I take the Polar as being the likely most accurate...... heck, I've even sat in my armchair for an hour wearing it to see the reported calorie burn at rest (90kcals). If I multiply that "sitting on my butt time" by 24 hours, ir indicates a 2160kcals per day.

Now - if I'm running for an hour, I'll just subtract 90 of the reported calories from what the HRM shows (since I'd have burned 90 anyway by doing nothing) ... and will just record the "additional benefit" from the workout.....

I'm not entirely certain you understand how a HRM works (or more importantly, how it *doesn't* work)...

...but I'm not actually on the clock to cover HRM-related questions right now...

...so I'm just a placeholder until one of the on-call HRM gurus gets here.

Shouldn't be long now...certainly no more than a few hours...

...thank you for your patience.
  • skinnygirlfighting
    skinnygirlfighting Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Depending on the weight of the person who posted the exercise, it might be accurate for that person's weight. Too bad no one posts the weight used to calculate it. I use a treadmill calculator that factors in my weight to make sure. The calories burned go down as I lose the weight.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated by the inconsistency with some of the activities in the MFP database. I weigh around 185 at the moment, so I do think that around 300-350 cals for 30-40 mins of a hard circuit/boot camp class or a running at about 10kmph seems roughly accurate at my weight (although I don't tend to eat all of those cals back, just in case). However, the burns that MFP give for things like slow walking, gardening and cleaning seem vastly overestimated compared to what it gives for harder exercise - did I *really* burn 1000 cals last Saturday just by cleaning, doing light gardening plus about an hour's leisurely walk? Frustrating.

Love the Morph and Chas pic btw (UK 45 year old here :smile: )
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Not if the descriptions of pace or intensity match what you actually did.

For instance the running and walking speeds, if you actually did that level, are more accurate than HRM.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

The problem comes in people estimating how fast they think they went when outside.
    Treadmill is fine, accurate enough for speed.

I've seen folks estimate their biking speed based on a couple of high speeds they happened to get, not the total distance divided by time.
    So they selected the wrong speed.

Other things would be right if the timing was right too, even one with only a couple of levels.
    But you have to be honest with the time. Was the 45 min Zumba workout really 45 of normal intense class - or was easily 10 min warm-up and cool-down?
    Was your strength training really 30 min with only the set rests, or between each lift did you talk to someone for 5 min?

I've even found the swimming to be within 20 calories to best calculation for only 40 min, at least vigorous was. If I swam better it might be wrong.

And for all the claims the HRM must be more accurate because it's different, well, that's not even logical first, second the chances of that are rather narrow too with all the cheaper HRM's being used that are missing a vital stat.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/459580-polar-hrm-calorie-burn-estimate-accuracy-study

Men aren't off the hook either.

http://www.asep.org/asep/asep/JEPonlineOctober2011Esco.pdf

Plus the HRM is the wrong tool for getting calorie counts for anything besides steady-state aerobic with same HR for 2-4 min.
    So all the lifting, intervals, insanity, Crossfit, ect, where the HR goes up and down constantly, is really an inflated HR, so the calorie calculation is inflated too.

This is why I switched to the TDEE method, so much easier than worrying about whether or not my calorie burn was accurate.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I get frustrated by the inconsistency with some of the activities in the MFP database. I weigh around 185 at the moment, so I do think that around 300-350 cals for 30-40 mins of a hard circuit/boot camp class or a running at about 10kmph seems roughly accurate at my weight (although I don't tend to eat all of those cals back, just in case). However, the burns that MFP give for things like slow walking, gardening and cleaning seem vastly overestimated compared to what it gives for harder exercise - did I *really* burn 1000 cals last Saturday just by cleaning, doing light gardening plus about an hour's leisurely walk? Frustrating.

Those things should be factored in your activity level. After wearing a FitBit for a couple of months and comparing my "actual" daily burn to MFP's estimated daily burn, I realized that "sedentary" literally means sitting on your butt all day. All. Day. If you're doing a tiny bit of slow walking, shopping, cleaning, gardening... You're probably "lightly active" at the very least.

eta; typo
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Those things should be factored in your activity level. After wearing a FitBit for a couple of months and comparing my "actual" daily burn to MFP's estimated daily burn, I realized that "sedentary" literally means sitting on your butt all day. All. Day. If you're doing a tiny bit of slow walking, shopping, cleaning, gardening... You're probably "lightly active" at the very least.

eta; typo

Hmm. I've been thinking about changing my setting to lightly active rather than sedentary, but the thing is that most weekdays, if I don't do any deliberate workouts I could easily be classed as sedentary - I drive to my job about 10 miles away, sit at a desk all day, drive home and do minimal if any housework when I get home (I blitz the cleaning at the weekends, before anyone thinks I'm a dirty mare!) and I have no kids. I don't log all my walking or cleaning by any means.

(Btw, as an experiment I input my figures into iifwym's calculator to measure BMR and TDEE, and my given MFP calorie amount was actually not too far off iifwym's figure for my TDEE - 20% at 3 workouts a week.)

Whether I change my personal settings or not, in general MFP still wildly overestimates the burn for those types of activities.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else think so?

It says I have burned 900 cals today from 40 mins of brisk walking and 95 minutes of circuit training. I'm a 5'3" 133 pound woman. I don't think this stacks up.

I burn just over 400 for a 50 min walk - this is with my HRM - there are lots of hills on my route and I keep my pace fast to keep my HR up - could be a little high - I think MFP averages calories burned in their calculations. But you did exercise for 1.5 hours so you probably got a fairly good burn. If you feel it's high and you eat back your exercise cals, maybe just eat back 1/2 to 3/4 (you should be eating some back when you exercise that much)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Than you should be?

Almost everything you cited in this post indicates that your hrm is giving you inaccurate readings
  • whisperfitandhappy
    whisperfitandhappy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree that MFP seems to over estimate calories burned. I always subtract 50-100 depending on what sort of work out I did just to play it safe.
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options
    It seems like the only way to know for sure is with a HRM. Logging calories from food is a real chore though, especially with having to weigh everything. I haven't been to good at that side of things, as I make a lot of things like stew (also known as random stuff in a saucepan).
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    It seems like the only way to know for sure is with a HRM. Logging calories from food is a real chore though, especially with having to weigh everything. I haven't been to good at that side of things, as I make a lot of things like stew (also known as random stuff in a saucepan).

*twitch*

A HRM is just another way to estimate calories burned. It does a reasonably solid job with certain types of exercise and a horrible job at others. It's still an estimate. The ultimate indication of overall accurate logging will be in weight change vs expected from net calories. You can math into your TDEE from there. A HRM may be a useful tool to that end, but it does not provide *the* One True Answer.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

eta; typo

Hmm. I've been thinking about changing my setting to lightly active rather than sedentary, but the thing is that most weekdays, if I don't do any deliberate workouts I could easily be classed as sedentary - I drive to my job about 10 miles away, sit at a desk all day, drive home and do minimal if any housework when I get home (I blitz the cleaning at the weekends, before anyone thinks I'm a dirty mare!) and I have no kids. I don't log all my walking or cleaning by any means.

(Btw, as an experiment I input my figures into iifwym's calculator to measure BMR and TDEE, and my given MFP calorie amount was actually not too far off iifwym's figure for my TDEE - 20% at 3 workouts a week.)

Whether I change my personal settings or not, in general MFP still wildly overestimates the burn for those types of activities.

I suspect there are very few MFPers who are truly "sedentary" as defined by MFP's active level settings
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I decided to do a test last night at the gym. I did 20 minutes on the elliptical and MFP said I burned 337 calories. The machine said 198 calories were burned. I did enter my weight on the elliptical machine. I rode a stationary bike for 10 minutes, MFP said I burned 131 calories and the machine said I only burned 49 calories. Not sure why there is such a big difference.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    So, the fact that a woman needs 2000 calories a day is wrong, which I have suspected for ages.

no wonder so many people are overweight.

So, you don't know the definition of the word "average" then?...as in on "average" females need roughly 2,000 calories....meaning there will be individuals who fall below and go above that average?

My wife is 5'3" and 39 y.o. and maintains on roughly 2300 calories per day. The "average" male needs around 2500 calories to maintain...without exercise I need around 2300 - 2400...with my exercise I need around 2800 or so...right now, it's actually around 3000 - 3200 because I'm training like a boss.