Turkey Hot Dogs?

Options
tamheath
tamheath Posts: 702 Member
OK, I'm going to try these for dinner. (After all, they were BOGO at Publix!) 110 calories per dog. Any thoughts on dressing up a dog without going overboard on calories? Thanks!:tongue:

Replies

• MalTru
    MalTru Posts: 37
    Options
    I treat my turkey dogs like regular hot dogs- little bit of ketchup and a little bit of relish. Yum yum.
  • bmommy78
    Options
    I love turkey hot dogs, that is all I ever buy...whole wheat roll and a little ketchup YUMMY
  • kuteinfaync
    Options
    They are very could! we don't eat pork and very little beef! So beef hotdogs or turkey are yummy! I usually top mine with onions mustard, relish or coleslaw and a tablespoon of chilli.
  • tamheath
    Options
    Yummy! Can't wait for hot dogs! :love:
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    we take a hamburger open face...top with baked beans then a 1/2 of a hot dog sliced lenghtwise and add that to the top..broil in the oven for several minutes then we top with a piece of lowfat/fatfree cheese and broil again until cheese browns up.

Very yummy...you can take a fattening meal and turn it into non fat but using the lowfat cheese, turkey dogs, light or wheat buns and baked beans arent bad...good source of fiber.
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like to put sauerkraut and my new obsession; grey poupon dijon mustard! I have also used them to make chicago dogs. Although, they taste a little different, they are still delicious! Let me know if you want the recipe, I have it somewhere. If you have never had a chicago style hot dog, it may sound a little weird.. lol.
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Mustard!!!!!! mmmmmmm
  • tamheath
    Options
    I like to put sauerkraut and my new obsession; grey poupon dijon mustard! I have also used them to make chicago dogs. Although, they taste a little different, they are still delicious! Let me know if you want the recipe, I have it somewhere. If you have never had a chicago style hot dog, it may sound a little weird.. lol.

Would love that recipe! We ended having no buns, topped with sauerkraut and/or Hormel low fat turkey chili. Spicy muastard of course! Easy dinner!
  • dmmarie21
    dmmarie21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Here is the recipe. And, I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but, actually the last time I made these I made them with hebrew national fat free hot dogs. They taste a lot better than the turkey dogs and only have 40 calories each.
    I am going to put my subs in parenthesis:

1 all-beef hot dog
    1 poppyseed hot dog bun ( I spent the extra calories on this because they are good lol, but, you can use any bun,, or even bun-less)
    1 tablespoon yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon sweet green pickle relish (I used the neon-ish looking one)
    1 tablespoon chopped onion
    4 tomato wedges (I used roma, and cut them small)
    1 dill pickle spear (I always use claussen pickles, in the ref. section with the meat)
    2 sport peppers (these are spicy, but, are usually with the mexican food)
    1 dash celery salt (This is neccesary :) I use it in a lot of other things also)

Bring a pot of water to a boil. Reduce heat to low, place hot dog in water, and cook 5 minutes or until done. Remove hot dog and set aside. Carefully place a steamer basket into the pot and steam the hot dog bun 2 minutes or until warm.
    Place hot dog in the steamed bun. Pile on the toppings in this order: yellow mustard, sweet green pickle relish, onion, tomato wedges, pickle spear, sport peppers, and celery salt. The tomatoes should be nestled between the hot dog and the top of the bun. Place the pickle between the hot dog and the bottom of the bun. Don't even think about ketchup!

*This is for one hot dog, and I don't have the cal count. I usually just enter everything in seperatly depending on the ing. I use.
  • Todd08
    Todd08 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Dmmarie21 ~ Sounds like a good old Chicago style hot dog to me! Makes me want to try this.
  • tamheath
    Options
    Thanks, Dmmarie - I will absolutely be trying that! :heart:
  • Daisygurl7
    Daisygurl7 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Light Croissants aren't that bad wrapped around them, with onions, ketchup and mustard. (I cut my crossaint in halfand only wrap half around then bake it.) or Hormel Turkey Chili on Turkey dogs is really quite good. :)
  • grifter81
    Options
    Have you tried the 97% fat free all beef hot dogs by Hebrew National? They are only 40 calories and 1 gram of fat per serving. They aren't as plump as a normal hot dog, but they aren't bad at all. I only like hot dogs if they are all beef, so I found that these were a good substitute when I started counting calories.
  • KanCrav
    KanCrav Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I like to put everything on a hotdog that I would on a hamburger. I try not to use ketchup since its high in sugar. I ususally put mustard and tomatos, to make it even more flavorful I take some banana peper rings and cut them up and sprinkle those on top. Also, toasting the roll adds that much more taste and texture!
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    my husband likes to cut them up and put them in when we have lentils, makes eating lentils more fun! lol.

be careful with ketchup its real bad try mustard.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the 97% fat free all beef hot dogs by Hebrew National? They are only 40 calories and 1 gram of fat per serving. They aren't as plump as a normal hot dog, but they aren't bad at all. I only like hot dogs if they are all beef, so I found that these were a good substitute when I started counting calories.

i love these!! i accidentally bought the beef franks instead of the hot dogs. Let's just say it was a horribly disgusting-tasting mistake!
  • nelliebugs
    Options
    I pair mine with a slice of healthy life wheat bread (35 calories) and a tiny bit of ketchup and mustard.