anyone tried cutting out bread ?

Options
Has anyone cut out bread from there diet and how much weight did it help you loose ?

Replies

• amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I've cut out bread. Not because I think it'll magically make me lose weight, but simply because I took a look at my diet and assessed which foods were 'worth the calories'.

This means I still eat calorie-dense foods if they are delicious or good for me in some other way (I'm eating a lot of protein, so that's probably my higher calorie density foods, that aren't purely there as a treat :D), but something like bread and pasta seems rather boring to me, only serve the purpose of accompanying far more delicious food, so by cutting that out, I can cut down my portion size AND have more of the actual delicious foods (Spicy pasta sauce on aubergine is the bomb. I'm eating it right now!)

And I've lost 70lbs (well, 69.4, anyways, lol)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Has anyone cut out bread from there diet and how much weight did it help you loose ?
    It's only going to help you lose weight if it aids your calorie deficit. Rather than trying to demonise one food. Just look at your overall calorie intake stick to that and fit in some bread if you wish within that limit. You'll lose weight and still enjoy foods you like.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    It's only going to help you lose weight if it aids your calorie deficit. Rather than trying to demonise one food. Just look at your overall calorie intake stick to that and fit in some bread if you wish within that limit. You'll lose weight and still enjoy foods you like.

This!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yep, I cut it out and found it worked well for me.

Reduction in bread = reduction in calories.

For me it was a simple equation, I was not a breadaholic so I don't miss it, also I have found my indigestion issues have ceased since cutting it out (plus other wheat and grain), but that's just me.

If you are curious as to how you will find it, give it a go. There is nothing in bread that is nutritional essential that you cannot get from other more nutritionally rich sources (per calorie).

Good luck.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I eat far less of it than I did because of the calories as well as the general crappy nature of most mass-produced breads. I'm working on getting my baking technique to where I can consistently make a decent loaf or two.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Send me any unwanted bread!! Haha
    I've cut out nothing from my diet, I eat what I want as long as it fits in my day. Eat at a deficit ~ lose weight
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I never eat bread. Didn't eat it when I was overweight. Haven't eaten much in the last 2 years while losing the weight.

It's doubtful that just cutting out bread (or any specific food) will make much of a difference - unless you binge on bread and that is pushing your calories over your maintenance limit.

Losing weight is about a calorie deficit. Eliminating certain foods (unless medically necessary) is just prolonging the inevitable - you have to learn to eat less.
  • Sad_Grandpa
    Sad_Grandpa Posts: 129
    Options
    I tried up, but cutting off the crusts really didn't save that many calories.
  • MissMissle
    MissMissle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I did for the first month - no bread, no pasta, and I lost most my weight then (about 11 pounds). I've pretty much stalled to .5 pounds a week since going back to eating my regular diet - but with counting calories.

Eat less calories than you burn, that will make you lose weight, doesn't matter what makes up the calories.

Giving up bread and pasta for a month was good for me... but its not magic.
    I think it just made me realize that I ate A LOT of bread and pasta - like, generally i would eat half a box of pasta in one sitting - that's just A LOT of calories - same with bread - i was doing huge, huge slices. Not eating it for a month helped me lose a lot of weight simply because I ate less calories but now I'm really happy I did it because I'm sticking with it and not gorging on a huge bowl of macaronni when i get home at ten pm!
    I think i didnt realize eggs, chicken, veggies, etc were even options for dinner - breads and pastas were always easy and cheap so thats what I chose - turns out the other things are just as easy and cheap. Soooooo giving up bread / pasta for a month taught me how to cook better, taught me variety, and I will never go back to my old pasta / bread eating habits! Unless Im like, out at my fav Italian restaurant in the North End... there's a good chance i will happily kill and entire bowl of pasta and have 8 pieces of garlic bread dipped in oil....
  • agrafina
    agrafina Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I pretty much cut out all grains, but that was only so I could reach a macro combination with foods that I preferred to grain-based foods. Like everyone else, its helped me lose in that it cut out a source of calories. Bread isn't evil magic calorie adding food. Cutting it out won't do anything magical for your weight loss that cutting out bacon or ice cream wouldn't.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Do you like bread a lot? If you do - it might actually be detrimental to cut it out in term of diet adherence. I can't find the study, but there is a popular one in which two groups were studied - one group was allowed bread, the other not. There was no significant difference in weight loss, but the no bread group was significantly more likely to fail to adhere to the diet.

If you don't really like bread though, that might not be an issue.

EDIT:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22209501

Abstract

BACKGROUND & AIMS:
    Despite the lack of scientific evidence, bread is one of the most restricted foods in popular hypocaloric diets. The aim of this study was to compare two nutrition strategies (with or without bread) designed to promote weight loss in overweight/obese women.

METHODS:
    A clinical, prospective and randomised study in which 122 women >18 years, BMI ≥ 25 < 40 kg/m(2) were divided into two groups: intervention group (BREAD, n = 61) and control group (NO BREAD, n = 61). Both groups received a low-calorie diet (with or without bread), nutrition education and physical activity guidelines, and were monitored for 16 weeks.

RESULTS:
    104 women completed the study (48.4 ± 9 years, 29.8 ± 3.5 kg/m(2)). Anthropometric and biochemical markers improved after the intervention without significant differences between groups. BREAD group significantly increased total cereal consumption (3.2 ± 1.3 to 3.7 ± 0.5 servings/day, P < 0.05) and the percentage of energy from carbohydrates (41.2 ± 6.4 vs. 45.9 ± 5.0% P < 0.001) and reduced fat (39.0 ± 6.6 vs. 32.7 ± 5.1% P < 0.001). In contrast, NO BREAD group increased the discrepancy with recommended consumption. NO BREAD group had the most dropouts (21.3% vs. 6.6%, P < 0.05).

CONCLUSION:
    The bread inclusion in a low-calorie diet designed for weight loss favoured a better evolution of dietetic parameters and greater compliance with the diet with fewer dropouts.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    It isn't necessary. Do I eat less than I used to? Yes, but that's true of anything I eat now.
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Send me any unwanted bread!! Haha
    I've cut out nothing from my diet, I eat what I want as long as it fits in my day. Eat at a deficit ~ lose weight

^^this^^ i actually tried cutting bread out once in a misguided attempt at low carbing, it didn't work because all i could then think about was bread lol. unless you plan on never eating bread again, ever, don't bother giving it up
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I've cut down on starchy stuff a LOT. It helps me stay within my calorie range easily. I eat it when I want it though; a cheeseburger needs a bun.
  • CocoaBeautiful
    CocoaBeautiful Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    No way baby! I love bread! But I definitely don't eat as much and try to stick to wheat.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    My wife and I cut it out almost completely (still have grains/starches around workout), but mostly because it's so calorie dense. It's a lot easier to adhere to a calorie regimen without it. I've lost about 10lbs and my wife has lost 50lbs.

I think that there is a effect for cutting out a food that's both calorie dense and very quick to digest. But it's not as much as cutting something simple that has a LOT of calories and is very easy to eat mindlessly.
  • Suneeta2014
    Suneeta2014 Posts: 22
    Options
    I use to have nasty migraines and never linked it to delicious bread...

I cut out all breads, lost those nasty migraines, and unwanted pounds.
    It was hard at first because almost every meal I use to eat had some type of bread, and my love for sandwiches and paninis had to be suppressed with healthy, filling, whole foods.
    Cutting bread is one of the best things I've done for my body.

Once in a blue moon I'll indulge with a roll with butter and cheese, or delicious Roti (indian flat bread)
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat bread. Maybe once or twice a week, if that. That's cut down from eating it every single day in some form. It's just not worth the calories and carbs to me. Bread is usually just a vehicle for whatever you're going to put on it. So if I want a sandwich, I put the fillings on a rice cake. I really only eat bread on cheat days. Yesterday I had a slice with breakfast, but whatever.
  • DianneP6772
    DianneP6772 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    It was the first thing i did. In cutting out bread - i also cut out butter. Bread was not a big deal for me - so not really a problem.
    I mainly used it for sandwiches. So - no sandwiches - fine. It left more room for other foods that i enjoy. So not a deprivation.
    Now - when going out to eat - if the bread is exceptional - i will have it - along with real butter. So i didn't feel like i was craving
    it during my weight loss.

If bread is something you love to eat - i wouldn't entirely knock it out. If it isn't - i would get rid of it and you will therefore be able
    to fit in foods you truly love. For me getting rid of bread - went along with getting rid of butter - huge calories there!

You have to do what you think could be sustainable.
    It can work - just be sure to log everything and you will lose.
    Good luck - its definitely doable - and i didn't think it would be.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    If you go to a bakery they will normally slice the bread for you.......at home it is tough unless you have the right knife.