Weighing everyday

Options
Does anyone else weigh themselves everyday? I feel like it keeps me motivated but people say you shouldn't...

Replies

• ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you react to the number on the scale. If it motivates you, great! But if the number goes up (which it may do for no real reason) how will you feel? Will you beat yourself up or be discouraged? If so, then stick to weekly.
  • nmpresto
    nmpresto Posts: 157
    Options
    I definitely have a weighing addiction and right now my weightloss journey is going no where...so I decided that I am hiding the scale away during the week and only taking it out to weigh on the days of my challenge weigh-ins (Friday and Monday). I will let you know if I think it helps, makes things worse, or doesn't change anything.
  • bigsal911
    Options
    I weigh myself daily. It almost always goes down while dieting, but if it doesn't, I don't worry. Probably nothing a healthy BM couldn't fix.
  • dinacav
    dinacav Posts: 12
    Options
    I track my weight every day. Even a 0.1 pound difference can help motivate me! Just make sure you do it at the same time every day, preferably in the morning.
  • FutureMrsWanland
    Options
    I just read a study that people who weigh themselves every day, are more successful with weight loss than those who only check in weekly or monthly. Checking in every day will keep you on track, unless like ouryear002 said, you get discouraged easily. I've weighed myself every day since I started and it's actually what motivates me to get out of bed and stop hitting snooze!
  • francescaeales
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday first thing in the morning, I look forward to it! If I only weighed in once a week, it would make it all to easy to have that mid-week curry and hope to get the pounds off by weigh day and end up losing nothing!

It really helps to keep track of foods that you may have eaten the previous day that are not helping you lose weight. If I have put on weight, I look back and see if there might be a reason for it i.e. too larger portion size of carbs.

If I have days where I know I will put on a pound or two, I know what the damage is and can do some emergency control before it gets out of hand again! It stops me having that extra bit of garlic bread or that onion bharji!
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    I think it depends on how you react to the number on the scale. If it motivates you, great! But if the number goes up (which it may do for no real reason) how will you feel? Will you beat yourself up or be discouraged? If so, then stick to weekly.
    i agree. i weigh myself everyday (sometimes a few times a day!) and ive always heard you shouldnt do that... but its motivating for me. when the number goes up (which it does throughout the day/week), it totally doesnt faze me. eh.... i say do what helps keep you going! :)
  • GremlinJenny
    Options
    I just read a study that people who weigh themselves every day, are more successful with weight loss than those who only check in weekly or monthly. Checking in every day will keep you on track, unless like ouryear002 said, you get discouraged easily. I've weighed myself every day since I started and it's actually what motivates me to get out of bed and stop hitting snooze!
    ha! thanks! i feel validated. lol! hehehe :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    OMG i weigh myself every night and every morning but i have desided to weigh once a week only you wil notice more change trust me on that!
  • DS13
    DS13 Posts: 136
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday also. As soon as I wake up in the morning and take a big dump. TMI?? Maybe hahaha.

Anyway I like seeing numbers go down even if it's a decimal. When it goes up it's usually because of something I ate the day before so I check what I ate and look for patterns. Along with that just seeing an up in the number makes me work out a little harder.
  • cbevan
    cbevan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I usually step on the scale every morning when I'm trying to watch, although I only document the weight once per week, to see overall trends.

I don't step on the scale because of the number, so much, but because the ritual is a good way to remind myself first thing every morning that I have committed to making better choices.
  • staceyb_2003
    staceyb_2003 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    i don't otherwise i feel down if i see a change in the scales going the wrong way no matter ho much i know weight fluctuates it still gets me down
  • coachniquenya
    coachniquenya Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am weighing every morning. I think its better for me to do that because when I've attempted weight loss before and didn't check daily, I gave myself permission to exercise later (the tomorrow that never comes) and eventually fall off altogether.
  • lmalma
    lmalma Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am weighing every morning and will continue to! I'm a fan of ounces lost everyday! Good luck everyone!
  • JLeeAlton
    JLeeAlton Posts: 311
    Options
    I weigh myself a few times throughout the day. Keep me on track and I am always interested on seeing it flucuate.
  • marisol7649
    marisol7649 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Mu hubby does and he is thin. He weights himself in the morning after drinking with his jacket and his weight is more or less. So after that experiment no i dont
  • fattydarren
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning as routine now before jumping in the shower....

Some days ive lost a few lbs, some days its gone up 0.5lbs.... if its gone down i think "yeay!!", and if its gone up it makes me think a little harder about what I have ate the previous day or two and pushes me a little harder to cut out the rubbish!

I couldnt go a week not weighing, i find it exciting when I wake up in the morning!!!

I also measure myself each day as well, again it says you should do it every one or two weeks, but I like to see, so ner!!! to the experts, lol
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Tuesday, I don't find it makes me want to fall of the wagon in the hope I can lose it by weigh in day. It spurs me on and gives me something to aim for. I think everyone deals with it in a different way and do whatever you find works best for you. I am tempted to weigh daily but I think then you will change your routine if its gone up when maybe you don't have to because its a bit of water weight etc.

I find measuring my body fat percentage and measuring myself in a few places helps a lot too, then even if only 1 of the 3 has gone down..I'm still happy :smile: , they always say there is safety in numbers :wink: lol

Ben.
  • prettybrownround
    prettybrownround Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I started off hating the scale however I am using it to my advantage. I weigh myself daily in the morning (before and after a BM). It also helps to discourage impulsive eating. I wanted a late night snack last night instead I weighed myself. The scale helped to discourage my old habit of late night snacking.