35+ and found success?

Options
2»

Replies

• ttknowles01
    ttknowles01 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes!! It can be done. It can get hard sometimes, but stick with it. I'm 37, and I've lost 25 lbs so far (my before and during are my profile pic)
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I vaguely remember my 30s. I'm 56 and believe me I had all the excuses lined up when I started 11+ months ago: Old, female and post menopause. Pretty much the trifecta of not losing weight easily if at all. Turns out I haven't needed them. A calorie deficit works for me and adding exercise a few months ago was for health not weight loss. It can be done at any age.
  • jayceecervenka
    Options
    I'm 44 and a few weeks ago, I decided that I was tired of not feeling good in my overweight body. So I did what most people do in the beginning and started looking at products, and ordered some. That vary same day I found an add on FB for Venus Factor, watched the video and said yep, I'm worth 40 bucks to get this going. It is a diet and exercise program that allows you to pretty much eat whatever you want. The only thing I track consistently is my proteins and calories. I have not started the toning exercises (no cardio), but have already lost 13 lbs in the three weeks I've been doing it. It is changing the way I eat and setting better examples for my kids (I've noticed them making better choices too), and revamping some unhealthy attitudes of "good food" vs "bad food." Feeling better is the greatest reward, but it's nice that people at work have noticed too.

Just remember, starting and committing to yourself is the hard part, but YOU ARE WORTH IT!
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I don't have pics yet. My camera ran off with the lost socks and spoons. I'm 38 (39 next month WOO!), and I've only been doing this since the beginning of March, but so far I think I've done well. I've even started lifting, which I never would have considered until I read about all the benefits here on MFP.

Try not to let yourself get discouraged about starting in the same place. Starting where you are now is going to be tons easier than starting next year, or the year after that. You can't do anything about the past, you can only control now.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 38. I've lost 27 pounds since February.

I don't have official before and after photos yet (not until I reach my goal), but I will say that my clothes fit better (I'm almost down to the last hole on my belt) and I feel healthier. It's not always easy, but definitely worth it!

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • shrinkingbrian
    shrinkingbrian Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost over 200 pounds from ages 37-39 over a two year period. It took a lot of work but it can be done with proper nutrition and exercise. I exercised 2-4 hours a day six days a week. Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I still try to exercise 1-2 hours a day.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm 36 (nearly 37) and I just celebrated my one year anniversary on MFP, in which I've lost 63 pounds. I posted some before-and-after photos on this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1294480-365-days-63-pounds-a-story-in-pictures .

In short, it's totally possible! You just need to put in the work and not let bumps in the road throw you off track, even if that means you've got to adjust your timeline and lose the weight slower in order to see steady progress.
  • Temple_Fit
    Temple_Fit Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'll be 42 next Friday & down 73lbs HOLLA! You can do it!
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Success is totally possible! I turned 40 in February and have lost 21 lbs and lowered my BF% since December. I did this all while enjoying my wine, beer, cheese, eating out, cooking awesome food, etc...

I have always been within a healthy weight range, but really wanted to get back in shape like I was in my 20's. Hubby commented the other day he thinks I am in better shape now that I was even then! :smile: Back then I was just focused on the scale and staying within a certain weight. Now, I am older and wiser and I am really focusing on my health, trying to hitting my macros and increasing strength.

You can do it!! :smile:
  • ParamoreAddict
    ParamoreAddict Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and I've lost almost 50 pounds now. Being in your 30s really isn't an excuse imo. I stick to around 1500-1700 calories a day and I lose about 3 pounds a week. You can do it. Just have to be careful what you eat and have willpower. We all have our ups and downs. Don't feel too bad about yourself when you fall. Just dust yourself off and get back up. It's a new day! :)
  • mikeykhan2003
    mikeykhan2003 Posts: 177
    Options
    39 here, started roughly last year and I've had some success. Good luck!
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I've lost 31 pounds since mid December 2013. I'm 51. It's definitely do-able.

I hope this photo will work.

profilepicfullbody.jpg
  • brn14me
    brn14me Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 and started the end of July last year. In the 10 months I've lost about 80 pounds and went from a 36.6 BMI to now I'm finally in the "normal" BMI range. I'm beginning to add calories so my weight doesn't drop too much more but I still have some flab to tone up. I was eating 1200-1400 calories a day and now will be ramping it up to 1800 and see what happens there. I run or ride my bike most days and have been doing push ups and sit ups every other day. Some days it's not easy, but for the most part I enjoy eating well and being active.
  • 3springchicks
    3springchicks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    46 years young, here. lost about 125 overall over the past couple of years (some with MFP, and some prior to that). There is NO easy road that I've found. What has helped me? Planning, Exercise, and healthier eating choices. As I type this, I'm munching celery, cucumbers and carrots with a home made roasted red pepper hummus I whipped up. Planning: set yourself up for success. Bring HEALTHY options with you in a lunch tote-- to work, running errands on the weekends, etc. etc. When the "munchies" hit...reach for that instead of fast or convenient quick fixes. Exercise: ANYTHING is helpful. walk around your block a time or two, hit the gym, or even park at the furthest reaches of the parking lot at work. Dinner time: Crockpot healthy chicken / quick meal options so that you KNOW it's waiting for you at home and your not as inclined to swing by and "just pick something up" on the way home. Things like this have REALLY made a huge difference for me. Starting: 283+ lbs (size 24/26). I say "+", because I stopped looking at the scale after that, but I'm positive it was pushing 300. Current: 170 (size 8). I have a larger bone structure and am on the "top heavy" side, so I MAY push it another 20 pounds....but I'm almost to where I would like to be. Slow and steady will win you this race, allowing that you change your mindset and habits in the process!
  • onelifemme
    onelifemme Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi murp, yes if am going to try and track calories - even on the fail days. Thanks for the tip.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!