WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• NenaC
    NenaC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Joyvce I have lived in Panama City Beach and Destin Florida. October can be a beautiful time for the beach. That is when most of the snow birds come. There is fishing, golfing, tennis I think most of the "tourist" hangouts are also still open. The nights can be cool on the beach but the water is still warm enough to enjoy. The last time I was down there were several good antique shops. Shopping is very good if you like to shop. There are several outlet centers too. Have you been before? If not you are about to see the most beautiful white sand beaches in the world. Back when I was a little girl is was what we call the "old Florda" and you could see the shoreline for miles, but as man expands so have the developers. It still is a beautiful place and the seafood among the best ever! I am biased but let us all know how your trip goes. I miss the air and the lifestyle. I would have moved there instead of Texas but I wanted to be near my son and grandchildren.

Have you ever heard of Orange Beach? It is in south Alabama as far south as you can go. It too is white sand and there are historical sites to see. From Alabama all the way across the panhandle of Florida down to Mexico Beach on the gulf are the cleanest beaches with blue water that is crystal clear.

I am actually going to the beach in June:bigsmile: but it will be on the Atlantic side of Florida below Ft. Lauderdale. My son's wife has family there and owns rental property. The sand is brown and of course the water is not that blue green. But it will be a good time with the family all the same. I hope you enjoy your trip. Happy Trails to you.:happy:

Nena
  • NenaC
    NenaC Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Congratulations to you:flowerforyou: You have indeed enjoyed success with weight loss. I can't seem to do anything these days except focus on finishing this remodel. I moved in this house last year thinking this work would help me move beyond some of the loss and changes I have had to face. In many ways it has, but oh goodness......these floors have to get done so I can move the rest of my stuff in. I have camped out for one year now. :embarassed:

Thanks for being so encouraging to me and the rest of these nice ladies. Tme to turn in....nite nite:yawn:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the tips Nena, I will think of you the whole time I am there. Outlet shops!!!!!! What kind. Because there are 7 of us and several are good size, but working on it, we take 2 cars. So we have an Escape, 7 passenger extended length minivan with a luggage rack we have plenty of room to put shopping in!!!!!! The beach sounds wonderful. I will be getting more and more excited as the weeks go by. I just hope my diet can take this.

It's my oldest daughter, the one who is the heaviest, that is going on a diet. she has been very successful so far. Plus it is changing their families life since they rarely go out to eat and they used to eat mainly at Culvers, Fazolis, Steak and Shake, etc. Her husband is really health concsious, running, planks, diet and everything. I hope they can change their childrens lives with this diet. I regret so many times the diet that we as a family had when they were at home.

I am watching the Survivor finale that was recorded while I was at choir practice. It did not end like I wanted at all.

Joyce, Indiana
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options

The scout leader called me today while I was at the library so I couldn't answer. Didn't feel like talking to her anyway. My son called the office in Joplin and complained about her and got the names of two other troop leaders in our area. Maybe we will interview leaders like we were hiring a baby sitter. If I had talked to this lady first, I sure wouldn't have chosen her. Thanks for all your comments on this topic. Helps me feel like it's not just me.

Gloria, is that a beauty school? I got a haircut at a beauty school once and it was so bad that people at work were asking me if I cut my own hair. And it was so short that I couldn't go get it fixed. I haven't been to a beauty school since, but I've had some pretty bad haircuts at regular salons too, so it's no guarantee.

Sylvia

First of all, "yay" for complaining about the scout leader. Yes, it's a big responsibility and they should be held to VERY high standards.

Yes, it's a school. More of a "high end" school with a good rep. I've never had problems and this gal, who's graduating this week and on her way to work with one of the top teams in the area, cut my hair EXACTLY as I wanted. I do think, after the experience with the instructors, I might just be done there.

Time to get a boy up for school. Hanging in with the T25 but getting bored with it. Only a couple more weeks until I'm done. Still haven't lost any real pounds but pants are getting looser.

Happy Day to all!

Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,329 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Got some admin things to do on my computer today. I hate all that, not the least because my laptop is sooooooo slow, but I can't print from my tablet. One of the things I will be doing is trying to buy some premium bonds for DGD for her christening present, as I did for DGS. They are goverment lottery, but you don't lose your money - it's just the interest is in prizes.

The news about DH'S nephew isn't good. He is now getting deeply into debt through needing to rent another flat and has borrowed a large amount from his sister. My DSIL is doing all she can with babysitting while the wife does weekend shifts as a nurse, but it can't go on like that. They live some wsy away. She has almost fallen out with her own son and is distraught. She separated from her own husband after many years because he was a serial liar and heavily in debt, so I think she is seeing history repeating itself in front of her eyes. DH is so very fond of his nephew, seeing him regularly at the football, and feels he is digging himself into a very big hole. Don't you just wish you could wave a magic wand! ! ! ! But really and truly there is nothing we can do. DH is going to go up and see his sister to give her moral support, and of course I would love her to come down here for a break, but she is so involved in all this drama that she can't detach herself. She has always been extremely close to both her children, in a way that I have often felt was too close. I probably have erred in the other direction, but I could never understand how enmeshed they were. Her beautiful and charming daughter is now in her mid thirties and has never had a steady boyfriend and spends a great deal of social time with her mother. The money she was saving to put down a deposit on a flat she has lent to her brother. Families, eh! ! ! ! Of course at the centre of all this is the child who is now 15 months old.

No good me worrying about it, though I can give DH moral support.
    That reminds me I must find out how my own son is getting on. He is suffering from depression and couldn't come to the christening.

Got to vote today in the European elections.

Love Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Just saving my place today, no time to chat:sad: ! I`ve read all the post and I`m wishing everyone well:flowerforyou: !

Have a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC:glasses:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    i am watching all this devistation on tv with this crazy weather.. God is very very angry and is showing it!!!!
    I was awake alot last night and the last couple of mornings i wake up exsausted which isnt like me..
    alot of it I think has to do with the pollen.. never had much of a problem but this year it is just wicked....
    it is raining today so I didnt get out to exercise today,but will try and get some form in today...
    about hair color, I haven't colored my hair for a couple of years, it is salt and pepper, and it doesnt look bad at all.. my hairdresser said believe me,if it looked bad we WOULD be coloring it lol
    I havent been doing well with weight loss lately.. I dont really have the stamina right now.. im trying but not very hard:grumble:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Saving my spot. I hope all of you have a great day!

Cindy in OK
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ALL.
    Thinking of all of you and wishing you happiness and smiles.
    Add some exercise and all is perfect!

Heidi
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,084 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Quick note ladies; very busy with DD home for this short period of time. Have read everything but not enough time to reply to everyone I'd like to.

Sylvia......I never allowed DD to do Girl Scouts; my own experience was that it was a mean girls clique even when I was younger. I'm afraid you may find that in the other ones too, esp. if your DGD has a strong personality. Good luck; it should get better for her as she matures. Most of us have been there; I am glad you did complain about the leader; your DD might not have been the only child hurt by these children.

Gloria.........Had my hair done once (for a wedding, brides idea) at a school; it was a disaster................never again. Good for you for raising cain too!

Michele..........Your food has me drooling as usual.

Saw the movie "Mom's Night Out" the other day
    has GOT to be in the running for WORST movie EVER!!!! Usually I don't have such strong opinions on movies, but this truly was a waste of time from beginning to end. Awful!!!!

Eating has been not as good as it should be; indulged in chocolate chip cookies last night; will get back on track and be back soon.

Finally bought a tomato plant!!!

yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic, cloudy---had rain during the night
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Boy, I have really been out of it this month. I know I signed in at the beginning, but it's been so long ago that I forget what my goals were. However, I have accomplished the following:

Got certified as a Zumba Instructor
    Got my CPR certification
    Started studying for the Group Fitness Instructor certification
    Started a second Body Pump class every week
    Maintained my weight for another month

I see everyone has been active on this topic and I wish I had been more involved, so hopefully next month. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • andreavarangu
    andreavarangu Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies! This looks like the perfect group for me!

So I'm quite new to MFP....today is my day 47 and I'm so excited that it works! And I'm also happy to note that all the weed pulling I've been doing in my gardens seems to be a natural way to do so many squats that my butt feels like I've been spending hours in the gym. :happy:

Now if I can just get the rest of the dandelions out of the garden before black fly season (any day now) all will be good!

Have a great day!
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,776 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Just trying to keep up with the reading!

Stressful here right now ... really struggling with the calories ... exercise almost non-existent.

Today is a new day!

Beth
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Gmom: The app doesn’t give access to the message boards. It does allow access to comments from friends. You’ll have to log onto the internet from your phone and go to MPF if you want access to this board from your phone. I LOVE the phone app because I always log my food there whether I have internet access or not. I post here from my computer.:flowerforyou:

Barbie: I am sorry you’re sleep deprived. Can you record your favorite shows and play them back at a more convenient time? That is what I do.:flowerforyou:

Meg: I’ve never been a Truvia fan. I use stevia in coffee but would likely go with real sugar in oriental dressing. I’d cut the quantity in half. I wonder about agave but have no experience with it.:flowerforyou:

Michele: My friend and I did have fun and went to the Thai place with a great view of the river. I told her about MFP and she got herself onboard with the phone app while we were there. She wants to get healthier, too.:flowerforyou:

Renny: When I was commuting I got cracks every winter due to “sanding” the road on icy days with rock sized “sand.” They have a product you can put into the chip that prevents it from turning into a crack. I don’t know the name of it, but you get it from he folks who do windshields. Now they’re sweeping the highways much more often than in the past after dumping gravel on them. Maybe I think it is more frequent because I don’t commute every day.:flowerforyou:

Heather: We helped our daughter buy a house once upon a time and regret it. Our son borrowed a down payment from us and paid it back right away. Each child is different. You’re right about giving your DH moral support. Glad to hear you voted. I hope things come out your way. We voted, too, and the jail levy passed!:flowerforyou:

Alison: I hope the rain washes pollen out of the air so you can feel better.:flowerforyou:

Stress is so difficult that many of us turn to food for comfort. Then we get fat. I hope that those who are in stressful situations find other ways to gain comfort. I’m more often turning to exercise such as walking or yoga to help ease my stress, and I’ve also turned to my doctor for medication. The combination is quite helpful to me.

Good luck.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • tolynkenl
    tolynkenl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just weighed in this morning and I am now down 4 pounds!! Yeah!! This is week 2 for me, so I lost an average of 2 lbs/wk. Since the first several days, my weight didn't budge, I am thrilled. :-)

I had a pleasant calorie surprise this morning. I had a doctor's appointment, so I didn't eat at home for breakfast. I stopped at McDonald's on my way to work and ordered an Egg White Delight McMuffin. That has fewer calories than two pieces of plain, dry toast! I could have been having the muffin, egg whites, ham and cheese - and consuming fewer calories than the toast. I may end up a regular for breakfast at McDonalds... :-)

Lynn
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone … yes I'm still here. I haven't been on here much and have not been able to read your updates. I hope you are all well and achieving amazing things in your lives.

My mother-in-law is not doing well and is not expected to pull through. We have been living at the hospital in shifts. Please hold us in your thoughts in the next days. I will be here from time to time.

Bonnie
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Bonnie, you and your family are in my thoughts during this time of stress. It is good you have one another for support.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It's a very warm and sunny day here. Too warm, for my liking, but Michele will probably enjoy her pool time today!

I can't seem to get back into the swing of things after being sick last week. In fact, I think I need another round of antibiotics--I'm pretty sure the infection is still lingering. You know, sleep is an interesting thing. I went for two weeks with very little sleep, more than likely due to being sick and the antibiotics, then slept very well Monday night. Tuesday night, I didn't move all night (made for an interesting (non)response to the urgent need for the bathroom when I awoke since I was so stiff) and my eyes were swollen due to how hard I had slept. Then, last night, awake for most of the night again. :sad: :sad: :sad: I truly need a few nights of good sleep to see if I can pull myself together a bit! I've also been struggling with getting my exercise in. Last week, I was just too sick (and weak) to care, but this week it seems as if time escapes before I have the chance to get my steps in. I don't like my life being at a whirlwind pace! I have, however, been eating within calorie goal almost every day. :smile:

I've read all of the posts and am saying prayers and doing happy dances as needed. I offer each of you my support, just too brain-scrambled to respond individually.

Back to work I go! I hope each of you has a wonderful day!

Carol in NC

Edit: See! It took me so long with so many interruptions to get this typed that it's no longer morning! :laugh:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Lynn - You need to switch breads! However, McDonald's Egg McMuffin is a go-to if I need to eat out.

Bonnie - I am so sorry! Hang in there.