Substitution For chips

Options
Can someone give me a few ideas on what to substitute chips with? I think thats my biggest flaw when it comes to the diet (and chocolate).

Replies

• aedwar23
    Options
    Pretzels and nuts!
  • countryrunner
    countryrunner Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Popchips! They are awesome.

http://www.popchips.com/
  • aedwar23
    Options
    I also love the baked barbecue lays they have less calories than regular chips. Hope this helps. Good luck! :)
  • Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I happen to have fallen in love with these... saw them in Men's Health (I think that's where I saw them at least). They are soooooo good! I've only had 2 kind's so far... so the BBQ ones are good. And if you like salt and vinegar, I recommend those as well.

• Sumo813
    Sumo813 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Popchips! They are awesome.

Hahaha... GMTA!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    your colon will hate you, but fat free chips. or fewer regular ones, or popcorn 97% fat free. and you can substitute carob chips, if you like, for chocolate - they are like little chocolate chips but no chocolate.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Cut a whole wheat tortilla into triangles. Bake in the oven until crispy. Dip in salsa.
  • swansj15
    Options
    What about an apple cut thin into slices. It helps me sometimes to look down and see I have alot! I have never been good at proportions so thats something that helps me when its healthy food! :-)

-Special K crackers
    -Wheat Thins
    -Carrots and ranch
    -Pretzels
    -Banana Chips

Those would be things I would try to use...It helps me! Good luck!! Hope they help a little!! :-)
  • ladysvs
    ladysvs Posts: 61
    Options
    Honestly I have substituted sugar snap peas for chips! They are way too addicting for me! The peas still give that satisfying crunch and you don't feel guilty or gross after eating them!
  • unworthyservant
    Options
    I don't eat chips anymore! I substituted them with pretzels, baked Lays, dried banana slices (yum!!!), and sometimes party mix/chex mix if you can find a healthy kind =D They are all crunchy and either sweet or salty, but not half as bad as chips
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    i eat chocolate and chips regularly and often, just in moderation. on the other hand, i can't even have peanut butter in the house - there is no moderation/will power/divine intervention when it comes to my need to eat peanut butter. it's super-human.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Eh, eat 'em anyway. I buy the 100 calorie bags, and I allow myself to eat them ONLY at the end of the day IF I still have calories left over. You have to really want them to plan that well for them. And to be honest, I rarely want them anymore.
  • Jrh2os
    Jrh2os Posts: 28
    Options
    Pretzel chips. Trader joes has them and they are like a flattened pretzel. I love to eat cottage cheese with them.
  • ssmom
    ssmom Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I love chips...some days I allow for them. Other days I just need the crunch. I eat carrots with ranch dip. And I have started eating rice cakes with 1 TBSP peanut butter---it's crunchy and tasty and a bit healthier. But I have a really hard time eating a sandwich without chips, but the carrots and ranch is working.
  • lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have substituted sugar snap peas for chips! They are way too addicting for me! The peas still give that satisfying crunch and you don't feel guilty or gross after eating them!

I do this too!!! I thought I was the only one addicted to these. Since I started eating them I haven't had chips with my lunch in over a year.
  • ileana84
    ileana84 Posts: 163
    Options
    Wow! All of you are awesome! Im definately going to check out the popchips! I love trailmix,so thats also a great idea. Ive tried the 100 calorie bags but they dont have too much chip variety and I love Salt n Vinegar lol But you guys have totally opened up my mind (and appetite) :P

Thank you all.
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I tried the Special K Sea Salt Cracker Chips and they are awesome! 30 nice sized pieces in a serving, 110 calories, 3 grams of fat! They taste as good or even better than Pringles. The only downside is that they are pricey for the amount you get in a box.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I just received my variety box of PopChips. Oh my goodness. These are great! :happy:

So very happy I ordered them. I don't always have a huge hankering for chips but when I do I now have several varieties to satisfy the desire.
  • jessicamloredo
    jessicamloredo Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Sugar Snap peas!!!! I know it doesn't' sound as amazing as deliciously salty crispy potatoes lol ...but psychologically, trust all the sugar snap pea fans out there.. it does the trick. That satisfying crunch is irresistible (of course it is that's what chip manufacturers count on! haha) followed by juicy fresh and crispness at only 35 calories per cup? You can't go wrong...
  • wise1owl
    wise1owl Posts: 9
    Options

I just found crispy sugar snap peas at my Local Sam's club. They are great.