Am I able to start over?

Options
azeria
azeria Posts: 535 Member
A couple of years ago, I did a really great job losing weight in the hopes of getting pregnant. I have PCOS, and at the time, I was told by the fertility doctors that I needed to lose weight before they did any kind of treatment. Well I did! I ended up losing 50 pounds at the time and started sending emails to the fertility clinic. I got so frustrrated at that time, since I never heard back from the fertility clinic and I hit a plateau. I quit trying and decided to focus on planning my wedding. I wish that I could've lost all the weight for my wedding too, but that didn't happen since I lost my motivation.

At this point, I don't know if I can do this again. I haven't been on here in forever, and I don't know if I will be back or not. I once went to a day workshop put on by dietitians and the message she gave was:

"It takes 2 things to sucessfully lose weight:

1. The motivation to do it
2. The belief that you can succeed"

She mentionned the importance of starting with small goals that you can achieve. When you place goals that are too overwhelming, chances are more likely that you will quit.

My motivation before was to get pregnant, and when I never heard back from the fertility clinic, I lost my belief that I could succeed. Today, as I write this, I don't know where I stand. I don't have much motivation or belief that I can succeed. Yet, somehow, I'm on here, so that must mean something? I don't know...

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Of course you can! There's many times in life when you're allowed a do-over...or two..or a hundred. Losing weight is one of them. You can always jump back on the wagon and make a commitment to yourself to live a healthier life, and to reach the goals you want to reach. The dietitian has it spot on: you need motivation, and you need to know that you can do it.

I think coming on here and making this post shows that part of you wants to succeed. You just need to make goals, and find out what motivates you. Maybe it's swapping out one food a day for an extra serving of fruit or veggies. Then, it can move on to 10,000 steps a day instead of 5,000. Opting to walk to the store rather than drive. Make small changes in your life, see your progress, and use that to motivate you further.

You have a lot of potential, don't forget that!
  • islandblush
    islandblush Posts: 11
    Options
    I to have PCOS and I understand how you feel. I had a very similar issue with the fertility clinics where I am. My original motivation was to get pregnant (trying 5 yrs), it just didn't work out. I gave in gained more weight and decided whats the point. I basically hit bottom. Then I decided the point is me. I am my motivation, I am worth every year I give myself because I chose to take care of me and prevent this syndrome from causing diseases like diabetes.

YOU are 100% worth it and you can succeed.

Some days I want to throw in the towel, quit and cry, but I don't because its a disservice to me. I just get up the next morning and continue my new routine the small changes do make a world of difference.
  • pinkgardens
    pinkgardens Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Remember this...
    "Today is another chance to get it right!"

I have this written down in so many places. It motivates me daily.
  • One_Last_Time
    One_Last_Time Posts: 125
    Options
    If you want it bad enough you can make it happen. Like she said small goals. Don't try to change everything at once and make your weight loss goals realistic. Everyone stalls, it's going to happen. You wont push past it by giving up.
  • azeria
    azeria Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Thannk you everyone for posting. I guess I was hoping for some inspiration and reading your comments has inspired me.

Now, if I start this over again, I don't know where to begin. I have jotted down my breakfast for today, so maybe thatwill help?
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely start logging again, even if it's in a notebook, even when you eat way more calories than you're burning. Just get into the habit of logging. Don't beat yourself up about calories until you're ready to actually reduce them. It's good to get a realistic idea about what your eating habits are right now so that you can manipulate them effectively later.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Start by setting some realistic goals, and weighing, measuring and logging everything you eat. Do this for a few days eating the way your normally eat and then see what adjustments you need to make to meet your calorie and macro goals. Exercise if you can and drink plenty of water. Eat back your exercise calories. Stick with it and be patient. It will happen!
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If there is one thing I have learned, the road to success is bumpy, curvy, has terrible road blocks and will never, ever, ever be an easy route to take. You'll get off track and lose you way at some point, but as long as you get back on it, you should one day find success. So of course you can start over! And this time, don't give up no matter how hard it is: keep chugging through it!
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    You can do it.
    one step at a time!
    Feel free to add me, I have PCOS also.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    Yes you can do it, especially when you put your mind to it.

Also don't be afraid to take breaks once in a while. My recommendation there however is rather than give up calorie counting all together try switching your weight loss goal to maintenance instead. You'll have more calories and your weight won't fluctuate out of control when switching to the "see food" diet.

Shoot for an easy goal. 1 lb a month is easy and you're also less likely to quit.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    The place to start is with today. Focus on a day by day goal of just reaching your caloric goal. Set a realistic calorie number and focus on the small picture. Forget about the big goal for now and just focus on the next 30 days. I dont know much about PCOS so this may not work for you- but I focus on seeing a 3-4lb loss between cycles. TOM in my marker for time and for progress. I get fustrated when the scale doesnt move daily or weekly so I just try to check in based on a certain point in my cycle. I do weigh daily but its data that I apply to my framework.

A mountain is built one pebble at a time. Enough days eating with a moderate deficit will lead to bigger things. I look for small goals that I can achieve because continual success keeps you motivated and on track. Goals can be as simple as walking for 15 mintues, drinking 8 cup of water, eating below TDEE, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, etc. Celebrate EVERY milestone and success.

If you want it, you can do it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking of it as starting over or that you failed and need to start over...that's part of the problem. The road to health and wellness isn't a straight, flat road...it has many turns and twists and ups and downs and pot holes and speed bumps along the way...a bump in the road is just a bump in the road...it doesn't mean you need to start over.

path-to-success.png