A question for the girls - do you exercise during your tom?

Replies

• JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    JustAnotherGirlSuzanne Posts: 932 Member
    I always exercise during TOM, it's the only thing that actually makes me feel good and not so gross during that week.
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    Yes. I will say though, that for me, it does not make me feel better pain wise but mentally yes. Now weighing myself is a whole other story lol...
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    I work out anyway (as my schedule allows). I find that I usually feel better for doing so even if I ahd to make myself go
  • CharlotteAnneUK
    CharlotteAnneUK Posts: 186 Member
    Most definetly! It helps with cramps and makes me feel better about having a treat..... oh no, thats why I exercise anyway....

Love treats - hate T.O.M - actually for me its pain day one, heavy day two and then pretty much job done. Just a vindictive way for Mother Nature to remind me on a monthly basis im a dud, but hay life goes on.....
  • Yes and no. On the days that my flow is heavy (which is 2 days) I usually skip my workout. On the not so heavy flow days I work out. And for me, it hasn't made me feel any better. I wish it did.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    I can't take a week off just because of that. That would cut out 25% of my total exercise time every single month. Not to mention screw up my routine making it harder to get back on the horse every 4 weeks.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Yes, I do.

I always struggle with these questions. For most women, there shouldn't be a question. I know that some women get debilitating periods, but I think there are quite a few more who are just looking for any reason to justify cravings and not workout. Here's why I say that (before anyone jumps my case for having no idea):

I've never been regular. Heck, I didn't even know until I was like 16 that women were supposed to get a period every month. I was shocked the first time I heard someone say "I usually know what day it's coming". WTH? They should be regular?

So I went on BC after getting checked out. Took a few tries, but eventually I was pretty regular. Then, I had knee surgery and wound up with blood clots. Bye bye estrogen pill. I had to stop the pill immediately. I bled NON STOP for 6 months while my gyno tried a couple progesterone only pills. Nothing worked.

I ended up with a Mirena. The insertion was awful. I threw up on the doctor. I was sick for a week. Awful. I then proceeded to bleed like a freaking stuck pig for the next few months while my body tried to adjust. Horrible pain. A few ultrasounds because they kept thinking the Mirena had ruptured my uterus because I was having so much pain and nausea.

Eventually, things settled down. I kept working out. If I didn't, I would have lost almost a year of fitness. That is why I think there are very few women who are truly sick enough to not work out during your period. I bled HEAVY. I would have to use a super tampon and a pad because I'd bleed right through it before my workout was done.

So get out and be awesome, don't let something that's going to happen every month stop you.

This is why you kick butt and I"m glad we are friends :)

For almost a year now I've been dealing with different, but very severe gyno symptoms. THey cause intense pain, irregular bleeding, and extreme discomfort. Even at my worst I go to the gym. I have been running and got such bad pain that I have had to stop, hunch over, and wait for it to subside and sometimes repeat several times. I never don't go. Ever.

I've had to walk instead of run rarely and skip some compound lifts but I would never not go to the gym.

There are extreme cases of hospitalization etc and those obviously are different. But the majority of women, working out helps relieve the symptoms, especially when you are in the routine of working out. No reason not to.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    NO.
  • momxs2
    momxs2 Posts: 173 Member
    I used to think like this but noticed if I stopped for a week I wouldn't get back into it. All the hard work all month long would come to a screeching stop and it was like starting over for me. I stopped making an excuse and forced myself to the gym even when I felt real run down from it. It was hard the first time around but I realized as the day went on I actually felt better and a lot of my symptoms associated with TOM diminished.

Just try to get yourself to the gym or at least walk and get your heart rate up. See how you feel and decide if it's for you. I found it's definitely a "yes" for me!
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    I do, but I will say, my symptoms are worse than they've ever been. My back was killing me this week. So I can see how it would be difficult for those who have it bad.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Unless I'm in so much pain I can't get off the couch-... I work out.

wait.

who am I kidding.

I get up off the couch and go anyway.

No excuses for missing a work out- I go. and I always work out.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    I wouldn't....There was a post on here a while back....I will try to find it. But it basically explained if you workout while on TOM your uterus will fall out.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    I wouldn't....There was a post on here a while back....I will try to find it. But it basically explained if you workout while on TOM your uterus will fall out.

Oh, well that fell out when I started lifting weights. So I should be okay, amirite?
  • sadyia15
    sadyia15 Posts: 76 Member
    Hi everyone personally I find exercising helps me with the cramps and from munching so much.
    I started tom this week and have been really bad never experienced tom pain like it n yh
    I ended up feeling sorry for myself and not exercising for couple of days but then I thought if I dont I'll put weight on(noooooo)
    not after losing it. n the next morning I decided to make myself do it even if it were 10-15 mins.
    n I honestly felt so much better.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member

I'm done having kids so I should be alright then. Damn uterus just gets in the way anyhow.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    As sh!tty as I feel (PMDD mixed with endo) I make sure I do something whether it's simply walking 2 miles or running 5 or hitting the gym, I do workout because if I don't, I'll make excuses NOT to workout when TOM is gone.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

Oh, well that fell out when I started lifting weights. So I should be okay, amirite?

well if it already fell out- either put it in a bag and carry it around with you- or just cut if off entirely.

it's mostly a waste of space anyway.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    I pop a Motrin and go to town !
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    No. Mine is too heavy and painful. Maybe the last day when it's dwindling away, I will, but aside from that, it's not worth it for me.