Help working out Cals burnt please

Options
Rynjak
Rynjak Posts: 12 Member
I've just really pushed myself on the treadmill doing interval run at pace of 8 for 3min then walk 3min at pace of 6. I did this for 45min/5km total.
My treadmill says I burnt only 150 calories but it's not got my weight or anything set into it.

How can I work out what I've burnt please? Is there an app?

Replies

• EllaIsNotEnchanted
    EllaIsNotEnchanted Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    buy a heart rate monitor.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

have fun.

Male: ((-55.0969 + (0.6309 x HR) + (0.1988 x W) + (0.2017 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T
    Female: ((-20.4022 + (0.4472 x HR) - (0.1263 x W) + (0.074 x A))/4.184) x 60 x T
    where

HR = Heart rate (in beats/minute)
    W = Weight (in kilograms)
    A = Age (in years)
    T = Exercise duration time (in hours)
  • Rynjak
    Rynjak Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this :)
  • fsmom05
    fsmom05 Posts: 3
    Options
    Ok I have a similar question on this topic. My elliptical machine (which also does not have my height or weight programmed into it) says I burned 375 calories in my 55 minutes training - but when I log it into my diary here it says I've burned 775. I do know that you continue to burn calories even after the workout but according to MFP that's 775 "extra" calories I've earned by exercising. Now if the numbers were close I'd say ok but MFP is saying I've burned more than DOUBLE?? And awarding "extra" calories is deceiving - how do I know what's accurate and keep accurate track of my calorie intake? :sad:
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Read rcently that many of those machines overestimate by as much as 40%.

When in doubt..take the lowest reading!
  • Curleycue0314
    Curleycue0314 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    HRM is the way to go 100%. I have an app that automatically calculates the formula that they other poster gave you. worth EVERY PENNY! Both the machines and MFP are off!
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I've just really pushed myself on the treadmill doing interval run at pace of 8 for 3min then walk 3min at pace of 6. I did this for 45min/5km total.
    My treadmill says I burnt only 150 calories but it's not got my weight or anything set into it.

How can I work out what I've burnt please? Is there an app?
    So you basically ran for 23.5 minutes at an 8 pace and walked 23.5 minutes at a 6 pace. Are you talking about km/hr or MPH? A 6 walk pace would be very swift?
  • omgliam
    omgliam Posts: 5
    Options
    I honestly can't ever find myself to trust those calculations and find they're only valuable in terms of judging your effort from work out to work out. Other than that, I just stick to my daily caloric needs from nutrition alone and ignore any "earned" calories from fitness.

It's been working out just fine this way :)
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I use this site that I learned about on here a long while ago...

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc

People call it the most accurate calculator.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Ok I have a similar question on this topic. My elliptical machine (which also does not have my height or weight programmed into it) says I burned 375 calories in my 55 minutes training - but when I log it into my diary here it says I've burned 775. I do know that you continue to burn calories even after the workout but according to MFP that's 775 "extra" calories I've earned by exercising. Now if the numbers were close I'd say ok but MFP is saying I've burned more than DOUBLE?? And awarding "extra" calories is deceiving - how do I know what's accurate and keep accurate track of my calorie intake? :sad:

I do 25 min on the elliptical and it says I burn around 200 - 220 calories. My fitbit is about the same too. 375 sounds right for 55 min. MFP exercise database is very generous with the calories burned.