Women - how do you get through your time of the month?

Options
Seriously, it is like being possessed by the hunger demon. I get bloated and my stomach is massive, even if I don't binge (but usually do).

If anyone has a way of getting through PMS time without eating everything in sight, I would be sooo grateful.

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Seriously, it is like being possessed by the hunger demon. I get bloated and my stomach is massive, even if I don't binge (but usually do).

If anyone has a way of getting through PMS time without eating everything in sight, I would be sooo grateful.

This is going to sound harsh but really it's all about self control. Fit some goodies in your calories!
  • bexcobham
    bexcobham Posts: 107
    Options

This is going to sound harsh but really it's all about self control. Fit some goodies in your calories!

You are spot on there. I've got some Eat Natural gluten free granola with buckwheat and some natural yoghurt. It's tasty and filling. I'm going to reward myself with a nice item of clothing if I can get through this month without chocolate.

Thanks for some good old common sense!
  • happyjack1976
    happyjack1976 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I try to work out extra hard and have a few extra treats!
  • bexcobham
    Options
    You know, I shall do that tomorrow and Saturday!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I take an iron supplement for 2 or 3 days a month. It helps. I heard eating food high in magnesium also helps. Of course, I still have a couple of squares of dark chocolate to get me through the tough times.
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I've been recommended dandelion tea - one if it's many benefits is that it helps with bloat out and relieves water retention. I bought some but haven't tried it yet.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Workout, drink lots of water, and as previously stated, save some room for your treats of choice. Once I got my eating under control for the most part my cravings really subsided. I still get the chocolate twinge, but usually a little treat will take care of that for me.
  • bexcobham
    Options
    Does anyone know the science behind why a lot of women get so hungry before their period? We can send men to the moon ffs, surely scientists could come up with something to help with PMS cravings.
  • Sirinya55
    Sirinya55 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Luckily...I'm still my normal self during that time of the month. My husband will forever disagreed...only because I threw a plate at him once. Men...so dramatic!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I gave in yesterday and had a mini-reese's.

I was craving that so much.
  • bexcobham
    Options
    Luckily...I'm still my normal self during that time of the month. My husband will forever disagreed...only because I threw a plate at him once. Men...so dramatic!

I had to laugh at that! I'd be tempted to take plate chucker over cookie monster. Is that vain?
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    9 to 10 days beforehand, I have a day where I am hungry All. Freaking. Day.

I figure I need the calories for building up a uterine lining. My body knows what is up. I just have an eat all the (healthy) things day. It's not an eat all the cake day. But, if I *need* an extra snack, then I obviously NEED it.

I think the best way to deal is just make sure you're getting enough protein and iron. Your body is craving building supplies, basically.
  • fairymama
    fairymama Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I talked to my chiropractor about this; I speculated that women need more calories due to menstruation/impending menstruation. He said that's not actually the case, but that our adrenal glands get off-kilter since our stress is higher, so we *feel* like we need to eat more. This has helped me; I tell myself that I don't actually need more food, everything's fine, etc. I'm taking rhodiola ginseng to even out my adrenals (and anxiety), and I've also been off sugar for a month or so. All of this is helping me not to eat a ton during my cycle.
  • bexcobham
    Options
    Yeah, I have been wondering about iron. Last month, I got some really lovely local organic grass fed beef. I got some more this for month. It is very satisfying and it's good to know exactly how it was raised and where.

I have just got a handle on how my meds affect my appetite. My weight crept up because I was too nauseus and fatigued to exercise for the first three months and had chronic carb cravings. Worse during PMS time. I also get a hungry day at ovulation time and it all starts swelling up from then.

I went to the GP 'cause I was worried that it was the perimenopause, but she laughed at me and said I'm too young.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

Stop-Whining-Suck-It-Up-.gif
  • bexcobham
    Options
    I talked to my chiropractor about this; I speculated that women need more calories due to menstruation/impending menstruation. He said that's not actually the case, but that our adrenal glands get off-kilter since our stress is higher, so we *feel* like we need to eat more. This has helped me; I tell myself that I don't actually need more food, everything's fine, etc. I'm taking rhodiola ginseng to even out my adrenals (and anxiety), and I've also been off sugar for a month or so. All of this is helping me not to eat a ton during my cycle.

I tried that rhodiola, but it makes me really anxious and jittery. I might give ginseng a go instead. Do you not get hyper on rhodiola then?
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Lol don't take nutrition from a chiropractor! Your BMR actually does raise *slightly* with your cycle (300 calories extra max, though).
    Honestly, my PMS hunger demon isn't with me for more than a few days each month--so I eat more on those days and continue working as as usual (although I generally feel more tired and weaker, making it difficult). Bloating happens regardless, and it goes away in a few days.
    Usually I crave protein the most, but it varies. Just keep track of your calories and make sure you're not going overboard.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I try to work out extra hard and have a few extra treats!

^^ this! I actually want to work out more to relieve any excess anxiety or whatever.

If that fails, I'll increase my calories for a few days and go for some not-so-lean red meat or dark meat poultry.
  • bexcobham
    Options
    Lol don't take nutrition from a chiropractor! Your BMR actually does raise *slightly* with your cycle (300 calories extra max, though).
    Honestly, my PMS hunger demon isn't with me for more than a few days each month--so I eat more on those days and continue working as as usual (although I generally feel more tired and weaker, making it difficult). Bloating happens regardless, and it goes away in a few days.
    Usually I crave protein the most, but it varies. Just keep track of your calories and make sure you're not going overboard.

I find my tolerance to exercise also goes down, but my body temperature goes through the roof.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I find my tolerance to exercise also goes down, but my body temperature goes through the roof.
    Yep! I also have at least 2 nights where I wake up in a sweat at 3:45am and can't get back to sleep, regardless of when I went to bed or how much exercise I did the day before. This has happened the past few months and I never quite associated the two until recently--apparently insomnia is another fun symptom of PMS when estrogen levels drop off.