One Day Fast - Good Idea?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm just curious about the experience others have had with fasting for one day. I'm not talking about long term fasting, but more of possibly one day a week fast. Is this healthy in general?

If I eat up to my calorie limit all other days of the week, would a one day/week fast be bad for my weight loss goals. I'm open to opinions and personal experiences. Would the fast mess with my ability to lose weight?

Thanks for everyone's opinion. Hope everyone is having a great day! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• angebean
    angebean Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What is the reason behind the fast?
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    My gut reacthion sis to say it a bad idea. You shoudl eat when your hungry. Not only would you be grumpy the day you fast but it might slow you metoblism or cause you th binge the next day. I think your best bet is to eat your calorie each day. Exercise and try not to net below 1000 calories a day.
  • lindastanley82
    lindastanley82 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm not disciplined enough to fast all day but I can certainly skip a meal. I don't think it hurts you at all to miss a meal now and again.
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I agree with fasting (include the prayer part otherwise you are just starving yourself).

However, I'm concerned about the once a week part. I think once a month, twice at most, is sufficient in order to reset your body.

I do really well with fasting once a month. The first month I was really struggling and then I fasted for strenghth and some insight into what I should be doing. I was so on track that month and had a much easier time with the process.

I might add that I had tried to fast several times in that last 7 years or so and was unsuccessful every time. I did it. I was proud of myself for being able to complete a fast and it really helped to give me the strength to succeed.

I commend you for your efforts. And although I recommend twice a month a most, you do what is right for you, your body, and your spiritual needs.

In fact I think it is a good idea if we do a MFP community fast once a month. I think it would great if we all fasted for a purpose and for each other.

AWESOME IDEA !!

- Eva
  • RunRainorShine
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replys, the main reason that I am thinking about fasting is to gain some disciplined over my body. For the past few years I've given my body everything it 'wanted' ....that means a whole lot it should not have gotten....fast food....junk food...you name it, it probly got quite a bit more than necessary.

The main reason would be to allow my body to work of cleansing its self a bit each week, I would drink a lot of fluids and get enough rest...so it would be done on a Saturday or Sunday.
  • summerblunden
    summerblunden Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replys, the main reason that I am thinking about fasting is to gain some disciplined over my body. For the past few years I've given my body everything it 'wanted' ....that means a whole lot it should not have gotten....fast food....junk food...you name it, it probly got quite a bit more than necessary.

The main reason would be to allow my body to work of cleansing its self a bit each week, I would drink a lot of fluids and get enough rest...so it would be done on a Saturday or Sunday.

IMHO, the way to gain control is to do it all day, everyday. Going "crazy" 6 days a week, and then depriving your body one day is not gaining control, nor is it healthy. Fasting one day once a month is ok, if you feel you have to, but once a week is too much! Just don't give your body things it needs to be cleaned of at all, and you won't have to clean it out!

That being said, I did the Isagenix cleanse for one week back in October, and it started throwing me off my plan. Once I got done all I wanted to do was eat real food, and it didn't turn out good. I would have been much better off just sticking to my plan that was working for me.
  • spellbinder25
    spellbinder25 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could have fruits and milk one day. I've done that kind of fasting but did it for religious reasons. I did it once a week & did not count calories. Just ate as much as I felt like. But for one meal, I would also have a lentil soup. Can't do that more than a few weeks at a stretch though, at least I can't.