Squate: #'s, reps sets and types

Options
I've been growing curiouser and curiouser about the workout routines of others lately. For the most part, I've been a solo lifter, heading to my garage each morning for my lifting.

Stats paint a picture so here's mine:
5'4" 135, been lifting heavy for roughly 18 months but have been a heavy manual laborer all my life. ETA: I'm female, Doc Evil tends to through people off.

I do:
basic back squats, 5x5 @ 155 lbs
front squats, 5x5 @ 115 lbs
pause squats, 3x5 @ 90 lbs

Note: I do 2-3 warm up sets as well starting at 50% of current working weight.

Are there any types you would recommend? I don't have specific sports I'm training for, just a general fascination with seeing my body shape slowly change.

2nd Note: This is purely curiosity based, thanks in advance for those that respond. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Do you do all of those in the same session? Seems like a lot of squat volume.

I like Bulgarian Split Squats
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Overhead Squats are good if you have the mobility to do them with proper form. Not the best mass builder due to the lighter weight used for them compared to Back Squats, but they're a killer lift for the core.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I'm sorry. Exqueeze me? You LIKE bulgarian split squats? Masochist! I'm doing the bulgarian split with the db overhead and it's killing me.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

No, I split them up between my three days of lifting each week. I should have specified.
    Overhead Squats are good if you have the mobility to do them with proper form. Not the best mass builder due to the lighter weight used for them compared to Back Squats, but they're a killer lift for the core.

I'll look into those. I'm more concerned with strength gains than mass (not opposed to them either) though I am doing a 6 week slow bulk at the moment. Thanks.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I just looked up Bulgarian Split Squats. I'm definitely going to do those because I really want to be able to do pistol squats and I think the Bulgarians would be a good work-up to those.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Sumos
    Goblets
    Sissy

Not many do these, but if supplemented with a decent leg program, they're a plus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Sumos
    Goblets
    Sissy

Not many do these, but if supplemented with a decent leg program, they're a plus.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I do those three and then some except for that overhead one. If it's working the core I definitely need to try that one out.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    you can also add pin squats. set your safety bars at about half of what your normal squat depth is. unrack the weight, drop down til the bar touches and explode back up. you would normally perform these as a supramaximal lift. like 110-125% of your 1RM. so say your 1RM is 225, you would perform with 245-280lbs. in the lower of the range you could do a 3x3 and on the higher side, more like a 3x1. really helps to prep your body for heavier weight down the road, plus the added power on the top of the lift is nice to make lockouts easier.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    zercher